Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: I am politically ... please choose according to how you vote in real life
Liberal 0 0%
Moderate 0 0%
Conservative 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 11, '12, 8:48 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Making a case "to" the liberals

As a practicing Catholic, I often find myself at odds with politically liberal members of my family. So how can I evangelize in a way that draws them in? Usually it just ends up in a heated disagreement and goes nowhere, or does it go somewhere? I don't know, but I sure would like to know if you have any special tactics.

With the upcoming elections, I believe we need the Church to step up and be bold and truthful. Platitudes and appeasement seem to be detrimental to the Churches health.
Old Feb 11, '12, 8:51 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Making a case "to" the liberals

What is being said that leads to a heated disagreement?
Old Feb 11, '12, 9:02 pm
Trial Membership

It always boils down to abortion, unfortunately they just can't, or won't, see the violent act that it is. Of course, this is just one issue, really you can pick just about any topic the Church upholds and they'll shoot it down. It always comes to an impasse and neither side wins.

What do you do?
Old Feb 11, '12, 9:47 pm
Forum Elder
Book Club Member

I just don't talk politics with people with whom
I know I will disagree energetically. It's not worth the energy used.

As important as the issue of abortion is, it is not necessary to argue that issue as part of "evangelizing" somebody.

Shalom, ICXC NIKA
Old Feb 11, '12, 9:49 pm

Try praying to the Holy Spirit for the words you need to open their ears to the truth. Any time I feel like I'm stumbling with expressing myself, that's my first resource. In fact, before confession I always ask the Holy Spirit to give me the words to make a good confession.
God bless!
Old Feb 11, '12, 10:41 pm

I'm very liberal, politically and financially. Socially and religiously I'm what people might think of as extremely conservative.

I'd advise not to get into anything vicious with family members, live by your example instead. You just have to get used to saying 'you know my point of view on that', 'I believe the church teaches X on that' and then being able to walk away from it without getting bitter.

People have to have open hearts to discuss things in good faith, if they don't there's no point trying except to make yourself feel superior.
Old Feb 12, '12, 1:08 pm
Trial Membership

@Rence, how do you evangelize? Do you have a way of getting your point across that encourages your point of view?

@GEddie, not evangelizing is how we got here in the first place. Our country, as you know, is being torn apart by the liberals and we can no longer sit back and pass the buck on to our priests and bishops. If you don't evangelize, you're creating a self-destructive path for your own life. As we have seen in every country, around the world, throughout all of our Churches history, lack of evangelization simply gives the oppressor permission to violate God given rights. Look what happened in New York just a couple months ago. The Catholic Church refused to evangelize and now they have gay marriage on the ballot. Shameful that our own bishops did not stand up for me. I won't speak for anyone else here, it is just a simple fact that Archbishop Dolan let me down.

@IrishRush, all Catholics should pray every day and most importantly, let others know that they do so. The Holy Spirit has told all of us, time and time again, evangelize. I don't need to pray, I've been instructed to evangelize many many times.

@Saraih, my first thought when I read your answer was, "spoken like a true liberal". While I understand you don't want to have these conversations, and you don't want me to evangelize, this is not the answer I seek from this thread. This is about a pro-active communication of the truth.

Whether you live your life the right way or the wrong way, the truth will reveal itself to you.

Once again, my question is "How to evangelize "to" the liberals?" Simply put, I'm going to offer up Church doctrine to any family member that's anti-Catholic. No one is going to stop me from doing so because I will no longer be quiet. So what do you do to evangelize? Please tell me your pro-active approach to engaging your liberal friends and family.

If you know someone that does a good job, please send a link of this thread to them.
Old Feb 12, '12, 5:06 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Poll closed because it is inappropriate. Voting is a privilege. No citizen is obliged to reveal their voting position, in fact it is their right to have their vote kept secret. The discussion can continue without one having to reveal one's voting preferences.
Old Feb 14, '12, 10:14 am

It is not the liberals who gave Roe v. Wade. That was the GOP's gift to the United States; GOP appointed justices established Roe v. Wade, and GOP appointed justices reaffirmed it in the Supreme Court. So why blame liberals?

My experience is that people are often more open to the truth when they don't know if is from the Church. So you might want to argue based on logic, facts, and take the church out of it. Also question if you are debating because it is helpful for saving their soul or because you enjoy conflict.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization