Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 12, '12, 9:14 pm
Observing Member

Default sponser's role at the rite of inscription and rite of sending to the election

Hi,

I have a question about what the sponser's role is at the rite of insciption and rite of sending to the election that is coming up on the 26th of February at my Church? I am unbaptized, and was told by a RCIA team member that a sponser is needed at these rites, but what exactly happens at these rites?

Thanks
Dan
Old Feb 13, '12, 4:03 am

Religion: catholic
Default Re: sponser's role at the rite of inscription and rite of sending to the election

They basically have to answer for your readiness for baptism. The bishop (or priest if it's done in the parish, will has them a question and they respond. It's formal response, I believe it's "I am" or "I do." Then they stand with their hand on your shoulder as you sign the book of the Elect. Other than that they are there to support you.
Old Feb 13, '12, 7:33 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB
Default Re: sponser's role at the rite of inscription and rite of sending to the election

As Joann said, they're acting on behalf of the community to affirm your readiness for the sacraments. Later, at the Rite of Election, your godparents will do the same thing, assuring the bishop that you are ready to be baptized.
Old Feb 14, '12, 8:05 am
Observing Member

Thanks for the responses.

Are the rite of sending and election the same and do they take place on the same day?

Does my godfather have to be at these rites?

The reason I ask is because I have two sponsers:

one is my girlfriend (the person I'm marrying)

the other is her uncle (my godparent)

I was told that it's ok for my girlfriend to be with me at all the rites leading up to the day in I get baptized, receive confirmation and eucharist. On that day, my godparent will take over and be my sponser. Is there anything wrong with this? Also, when does the sponser need to provide the church proof that they've receive all the sacraments?

Thanks, I appreciate the responses and clarifications.
Old Feb 14, '12, 9:30 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamthucx View Post
Thanks for the responses.

Are the rite of sending and election the same and do they take place on the same day?

Does my godfather have to be at these rites?

The reason I ask is because I have two sponsers:

one is my girlfriend (the person I'm marrying)

the other is her uncle (my godparent)

I was told that it's ok for my girlfriend to be with me at all the rites leading up to the day in I get baptized, receive confirmation and eucharist. On that day, my godparent will take over and be my sponser. Is there anything wrong with this? Also, when does the sponser need to provide the church proof that they've receive all the sacraments?

Thanks, I appreciate the responses and clarifications.
The rite of sending usually takes place at your parish (at mass) on the same day, prior to going to the cathedral to receive the rite of election from the bishop. It is your godparent that participates with you in both of these rites.
Old Feb 14, '12, 11:47 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamthucx View Post
Actually, your godparent takes over at the Rite of Election. Up to then you have a sponsor. At the Rite of Election the bishop will ask your godparent about your readiness. Your godparent will also be present at the Scrutinies on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th Sundays of Lent, and then will be with you at the Easter Vigil. In many cases the sponsor and the godparent are the same person, but they can also be two different people.

You will need to talk with the folks at your parish about what kind of assurance they need about your godparent's qualifications and when that would be required.
Old Feb 19, '12, 4:26 pm
Observing Member

Thanks for everyone for your help.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization