Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 11, '05, 10:37 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Elizabeth Kubler Ross

Are her ideas/books accepted by the Catholic Church? I read somewhere that they were, but in reading her books she talks about reincarnation...The Catholic Church doesn't teach that, does it?

I found many things in her books to be very interesting, and believable. I'm just wondering about the whole reincarnation thing. She writes that many priests (catholic) and religious in general had come to her talks...

Any one know?
Old Jul 11, '05, 10:40 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Elizabeth Kubler Ross

Re-incarnetion is foreign to Catholic thought.

Re EKR ... I read much of her early work on death and dying, but do not recall that she delved into re-incarnation. I wonder if that began to appear in her later work or if my memory stinks. I fear the latter is true.
Old Jul 11, '05, 1:31 pm

EKR. Has done much good work in the field of helping the terminally ill with their death issues. Her early books are very thoughtful and her psychologic models are sound and she can consider herself to be an important pioneer of respite care for the terminally ill.

However, last decade or so she has gotten into wacky stuff - Buddihism and then more 'New Age' stuff. Hasn't she co-authored a book with Paulho Coelho lately?

Read her early stuff and you won't be disappointed or led astray. Probably best to ignore her more recent texts.

Solitude is better;...we must desire it St. Teresa of Avila
Old Jul 11, '05, 4:35 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Clive
EKR. Has done much good work in the field of helping the terminally ill with their death issues. Her early books are very thoughtful and her psychologic models are sound and she can consider herself to be an important pioneer of respite care for the terminally ill.

However, last decade or so she has gotten into wacky stuff - Buddihism and then more 'New Age' stuff. Hasn't she co-authored a book with Paulho Coelho lately?

Read her early stuff and you won't be disappointed or led astray. Probably best to ignore her more recent texts.
Agree. Her discussion of the stages of dying was great. It is a great help to any one who deals with those who are dying. It is also applicable to anyone who suffers a great tragedy.

But she went straight downhill from there.
Old Jul 12, '05, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Clive

That was what I was starting to think also. As I was reading and she was clearly talking about New Age stuff, and then shortly after writing that she used to be an Indian in a past life?!}? I thought...I was recommended to read her by a Catholic, what's going on?

I was just checking to see what others thought. I also think she did made some wonderful contributions to this world while she was alive, but somewhere along the line I have to wonder if she might have taken a wrong turn. It just got confusing to me, because many things she wrote about seemed right on target in my mind, and even in line with Catholic teaching, but then this reincarnation, kind of New Age stuff threw me for a loop, and I didn't know what I should be believing any more.

Thanks for your input everyone.
Old Jul 12, '05, 8:16 pm
Banned

Religion: catholic

I really doubt our church accepts Kubler's ideas on reincarnation. Reincarnation is not biblical or Christian. The bible clearly states that it is appointed once for man to die and after this comes the judgment These were St Paul's own words.

I do believe though that may people have died and had genuine OTBE (out of the body experiences). But no one who has died comes back to live another life all over again. That part is false.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics