Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 17, '12, 12:40 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to ndalum Send a message via Skype™ to ndalum
Default Re: Best Secular TV series for Christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisaac View Post
I'm thinking that a show that is suitable for Christian viewing is not one that has no sin or violence. But I think it's quite important that the show does not glorify these things.

For example, a character in the show can be immoral, but do the producers show him in a glorified manner? If they do, they're not showing the truth. Is the focus on glorifying sin and pleasure, or is it focused on story-telling and - god willing - goodness of truth?
I think Downton Abbey would be okay then. The immoral behavior is thought to be scandalous in the show.
Old Feb 17, '12, 4:16 pm

I'll throw a kind of unusual recommendation out - FRINGE.

It's not for very young viewers - it's an SF/Fantasy/action/crime show on Fox where there are some very frightening images and situations, and there is an extra-marital relationship between two of the main characters.

What's interesting is that Walter, a sort-of modern Dr. Frankenstein who acts as a consultant for a branch of the FBI that is investigating a series of connected bizarre events - is repeatedly shown as a believer in God and a Christian, who regrets the past use of research, and the immoral nature of his experiments in the past, and the hubris of an earlier attempt to play God by crossing into a parallel universe, which resulted in tragedy. He's a very flawed character who is working towards his moral redemption, and who has made hard choices in past episodes towards that end. That's not a moral perspective one normally sees on episodic television. He's also wonderfully played by John Noble (who was the Steward of Gondor in THE LORD OF THE RINGS).
Old Feb 17, '12, 5:51 pm

A late entrant to 2011 with 7 episodes airing between October and December is "Once Upon a Time". I am thoroughly enjoying the their take on the classic fairy tales and am intrigued by how they tie in to the present-day plot. No swearing, no sex scenes, moral messages, even though there is no Christianity in it.

I have followed Bones, House, Glee, Boardwalk Empire, Friday Night Lights, Ugly Betty, True Blood, Walking Dead, among other Emmy Favorites. While I enjoyed them and appreciate the art form they are, I did so exercising a Catholic filter of sorts. I think that's why Once Upon a Time has been so refreshing for me - I can thoroughly relax for the entire episode to just take in the experience (at least so far).
Old Feb 17, '12, 8:09 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHere View Post
A late entrant to 2011 with 7 episodes airing between October and December is "Once Upon a Time". I am thoroughly enjoying the their take on the classic fairy tales and am intrigued by how they tie in to the present-day plot. No swearing, no sex scenes, moral messages, even though there is no Christianity in it.

I have followed Bones, House, Glee, Boardwalk Empire, Friday Night Lights, Ugly Betty, True Blood, Walking Dead, among other Emmy Favorites. While I enjoyed them and appreciate the art form they are, I did so exercising a Catholic filter of sorts. I think that's why Once Upon a Time has been so refreshing for me - I can thoroughly relax for the entire episode to just take in the experience (at least so far).
I have been enjoying Person of Interest this season. It has been quite good so far.

I have been generally (I am one or two seasons behind since I don't have cable) keeping up with Psych, and Burn Notice. Psych is really clean and just hilarious. (Find the pineapple). Burn Notice has more violence, and sex, and hard decisions where there is no right answer. I also enjoy the Big Bang Theory, but that requires a good filter and a good bit of humor to laugh at oneself.
Bones is also fun, but I haven't really been able to keep up with it.

I am not a big fan of Fringe, I watch a bunch of the first season, but it really didn't appeal to me.
Old Feb 18, '12, 4:04 pm

I've seen people on this site bash the family, but I often watch "19 Kids and Counting." While their theology doesn't always line up with my Catholic faith, it shows people who love Jesus, and who have JOY in how they live their faith. I also admire their dedication to their faith.

I don't know it that's what you're looking for.
Old Feb 18, '12, 6:25 pm

I admit that I find The Big Bang Theory very funny.
Old Feb 24, '12, 10:01 pm

Religion: ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndalum View Post
I admit that I find The Big Bang Theory very funny.

I hate that show with the burning fury of one thousand suns.
Old Feb 25, '12, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHere View Post

I'm sure it does not affect you, but Glee is very anti-Catholic. It promotes homosexual sex, teenage sex and portrays Christians as haters. The only good aspect of it is treating the handicap, both physically and mentally, as regular people.
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:07 pm

I enjoy Big Bang Theory, would not say it's the funniest show on television, but I do laugh at it. However, it is not conducive for family and is generally fairly flippant with its views on sexuality.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media