Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 19, '12, 10:21 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: For those who don't see abortion as a big problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McVay View Post
You need to take that into account.
No, frankly I don't need to. If you have a better method, then by all means make your own website.

You're either missing the point, or you're purposely arguing about minutia to distract the discussion from the absolute horror these numbers represent (trolling). I'm guessing it's the latter. I will not be distracted though.

For now, the website is what it is. End of discussion from me.

Let's refocus. Do you believe abortion is a big problem, Dan? Do you believe it's a problem at all?? If not, I invite you to state your case.
Old Feb 19, '12, 10:55 am
Banned

Religion: Undecided

I believe that abortion is a major issue that needs to be discussed with absolute accuracy and honesty. You seem to disagree. I don't think we as a society will ever be able to have a constructive dialogue on abortion as long people take it as their right to be sloppy and avoid the hard work to achieve complete accuracy. Your clock could be fixed with a caveat or by doing extremely hard work. You are choosing to do neither.

I understand that you have strong feelings about abortion. Don't those strong feelings tell you to be absolutely accurate?
Old Feb 19, '12, 11:10 am
Forum Elder

Hello Dan,

The point is, millions have died in the United States. With all due respect to our Jewish neighbors, if additional records are found that put the final figure at 6.2 million dead as opposed to 6 million, the horror is not diminished at all.

If you look closely at the facts about abortion, the trend is death every year after Roe v. Wade. The figures may vary but the point remains. I was there when abortion supporters tried to convince Americans that abortion "should be safe and rare." The exact opposite has proven the point. And, as a country, we were lied to:

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/resource.php?n=402

Peace,
Ed
Old Feb 19, '12, 12:04 pm

Quote:
I believe that abortion is a major issue that needs to be discussed with absolute accuracy and honesty. You seem to disagree. I don't think we as a society will ever be able to have a constructive dialogue on abortion as long people take it as their right to be sloppy and avoid the hard work to achieve complete accuracy. Your clock could be fixed with a caveat or by doing extremely hard work. You are choosing to do neither.

I understand that you have strong feelings about abortion. Don't those strong feelings tell you to be absolutely accurate?
Listening to strong feelings leads to bad decisions. However, my logic tells me that I could waste a lot of time trying to get these numbers "absolutely accurate", but that it's not possible to do so. By the time I had finished calling every abortion center in the country and getting their exact counts, those counts would have changed and I'd have to start over again. I would never be able to present my findings. My logic also says that you're smart enough to know this already, and you're trolling.

I've tried to be courteous to you, Dan. But if you sidetrack the discussion with this same point again I'll report you to the moderator. Like I said, if you have a magical method to count abortions in real-time then do it. Otherwise, please drop it and contribute something real to the conversation.

You're in my prayers, brother.
Old Feb 19, '12, 12:58 pm

Quote:

The car you drive is made based on assumptions much more suspect than the ones being discussed here. Do you also object to the selling of cars?
Old Feb 19, '12, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Why not add a caveat?
Dan, if you look at the top of the page, it says: "Each red flash you see represents a life lost.
On average, an unborn child's life is ended in the world every 3/4 of a second...
...or 113,973 children every day."

That's clear enough for everyone else, so it's going to have to do for you as well.
Old Feb 19, '12, 4:02 pm
Forum Elder

It might be a good idea to report abortions daily, taking the previous day's count, and posting it on the internet or newspaper: "Yesterdays's abortion numbers: ___" It would be good to have a state by state breakdown, to see where the most unborn children are being killed on a daily basis. We would also be able to see if the trends are up or down. Perhaps abortion clinics could post the numbers on outside signs, showing cumulative abortions to date.
Old Feb 19, '12, 4:14 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
It might be a good idea to report abortions daily, taking the previous day's count, and posting it on the internet or newspaper: "Yesterdays's abortion numbers: ___" It would be good to have a state by state breakdown, to see where the most unborn children are being killed on a daily basis. We would also be able to see if the trends are up or down. Perhaps abortion clinics could post the numbers on outside signs, showing cumulative abortions to date.
Not going to happen, but if we are fantasizing, I'd like to see reporting of emergency calls from abortion clinics for botched abortions where the woman was injured.

Still a good website.
Old Feb 19, '12, 5:39 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

No more discussing abortion. Time to take action: http://www.40daysforlife.com/
Old Feb 19, '12, 7:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
No more discussing abortion. Time to take action: http://www.40daysforlife.com/
Absolutely! I'm helping out with 40 Days in Charlotte, NC.

www.charlottecoalitionforlife.com
Old Feb 19, '12, 7:48 pm

I'm going to be praying in Houston!

Houston Coalition for Life

Old Feb 22, '12, 4:23 pm
Banned

You think abortion is a big problem? Make it illegal. Women in this country are extremely creative and motivated to maintain the rights that have been granted to them in this country.

You roll back Roe and your problem will proliferate. You don't have to take my word for it. Just watch and learn should abortion become illegal again in this country.
Old Feb 22, '12, 4:24 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Yes, Jim, why don't we just identify the women by name and address and assign them all a great big banner to wear around their arms: "A" for abortion. Sound familiar?
Old Feb 22, '12, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenced View Post
You think abortion is a big problem? Make it illegal. Women in this country are extremely creative and motivated to maintain the rights that have been granted to them in this country.

You roll back Roe and your problem will proliferate. You don't have to take my word for it. Just watch and learn should abortion become illegal again in this country.
Women in this country are extremely creative and motivated to keep killing their own babies in the womb? I think you sell women short, my friend. The "rights" granted to murder one's own child are fictions, and are sinful in the extreme.

Before abortion was legal, women bore their illegitimate children, and gave them up for adoption, to loving parents who were waiting for babies of their own. The numbers of illegal, dangerous, "coat hanger" abortions were FICTITIOUS, made up in order to get the laws changed.

Women need loving care, not abortion.
Old Feb 22, '12, 7:07 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenced View Post
Yes, Jim, why don't we just identify the women by name and address and assign them all a great big banner to wear around their arms: "A" for abortion. Sound familiar?
I'm talking statistics, not individuals. If abortion is such a great thing, surely abortion clinics would like to publicize their numbers. Hospitals advertise when they do the most of particular surgeries.

It seems to me that women are increasingly pro-life. And being pro-life means being pro-woman.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice