Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 14, '12, 5:06 pm
Banned

Religion: Quaker
Default Re: Love of G-d and/or Fear of Hell or Death (Oblivion)?

I don't know that I can answer it....God....the Ineffable...the Eternal Mystery.....the Wholly Other is beyond comprehension.....I can barely concieve of flying in a space ship to Mars let alone traveling an eternity to a Realm of Light Above Limitless Light.

Perhaps that is where faith comes in.....I live a life of faith because I believe "he does all things well" and the Creator and Sustainer of our universe has a concept of justice and mercy greater than anything I can conceive. "The rain falls on the good and the bad alike"....death comes to us all.....none of us get's out of this alive. So I choose to live a life in faith that offers meaning to this life.....if I live only in the memory of those I leave behind....THAT is worth something I think.

For me God's love and mercy is found in the revelation of Jesus of Nazareth.....he lived a life of astounding love and mercy....he loved "extravagantly" and "completely".....he loved even in the face of death and forgave those who visited astounding suffering upon him....he forgave them and loved them from the cross.....for me....the life of Jesus of Nazareth answers those questions I have about God....well...perhaps not "answer"....but definitely in Jesus of Nazareth I see God among us.....and neither do I understand that....but I choose to live my life in faith....faith that the One who knows me best...loves me most and I can trust in His Justice and Mercy....and if oblivion is our lot...I'll never know it anyways as I will be "oblivious" to my state.....not a great answer I know....but it's all I have....it is a matter of faith...not knowing.....
Old Feb 15, '12, 3:25 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian - Church of the Nazarene

Haven't read all the replies, so my apologies if this sentiment has already been shared:

I think that love for God is intimately entwined with longing for Heaven. I don't love God just because I want to go to Heaven; I love Him because He first loved me and He teaches me to love Him more each day. With that growth in love is a desire to be with Him. Being with Him now and being with Him in Heaven are two different things in my mind. One foreshadows the other.

I long for the day when earth and Heaven are joined in perfect union. I ache for the return of the Lord. I am excited for all things to be renewed and set right. This is because I love Him, not because I feel deserving of some reward.

Is Hell a motivating factor in my belief? Again, I don't think that you can separate love for God from fear of Hell. The idea of eternity apart from Him is utterly terrifying and abhorrent.

This is where I see so much of systematic theology failing. I don't think you can separate beliefs about God from beliefs about anything else.

My blog, Denim Devotion.
Old Feb 15, '12, 4:06 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie_Gregg View Post
Haven't read all the replies, so my apologies if this sentiment has already been shared:

I think that love for God is intimately entwined with longing for Heaven. I don't love God just because I want to go to Heaven; I love Him because He first loved me and He teaches me to love Him more each day. With that growth in love is a desire to be with Him. Being with Him now and being with Him in Heaven are two different things in my mind. One foreshadows the other.

I long for the day when earth and Heaven are joined in perfect union. I ache for the return of the Lord. I am excited for all things to be renewed and set right. This is because I love Him, not because I feel deserving of some reward.

Is Hell a motivating factor in my belief? Again, I don't think that you can separate love for God from fear of Hell. The idea of eternity apart from Him is utterly terrifying and abhorrent.

This is where I see so much of systematic theology failing. I don't think you can separate beliefs about God from beliefs about anything else.
I was raised in the Nazarene church.....haven't been to a Nazarene church for almost 40 years.
Old Feb 15, '12, 4:14 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:

Very well said, Marie!
But God does not take away life; instead He devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from Him. II Samuel 14:14

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people. Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel
Old Feb 15, '12, 4:36 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publisher View Post
I was raised in the Nazarene church.....haven't been to a Nazarene church for almost 40 years.
And I went to a Friends church from age 11-18.

My blog, Denim Devotion.
Old Feb 15, '12, 4:41 pm
Banned

Quote:
And I went to a Friends church from age 11-18.
LOL....I was "convinced" a Friend at 19....
Old Feb 15, '12, 4:45 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publisher View Post
LOL....I was "convinced" a Friend at 19....
Well, dang, I guess I just missed the boat.

I loved my time at the Friends church. (Side note: it was an Evangelical Friends congregation; I know that there are many stripes within the Friends). Much of what I hold to be true today comes from that very foundational time in my life. One thing I sorely miss is the times of silence during corporate worship. There was something...both settling and electrifying about those times.

But now we're off topic...

My blog, Denim Devotion.
Old Feb 16, '12, 4:38 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

I couldn't agree more.
Old Feb 16, '12, 6:59 pm

Religion: Catholic

Holy fear is a loving fear. Of course one must have an initial fear of loss, but that grows into a higher form when virtue is acquired.

You wanted different viewpoints, and so, I offer this playlist.

http://www.youtube.com/user/francisc...rch?query=fear

Being Jewish shouldn't be all that difficult really. You have Moses and the Prophets. That is a really wonderful thing! I will emphathise. I almost always have the same questions and then I receive re-assurance in the form of a woman named Mariam.

He created woman so that Man would not be alone, knowing that soon Man would be outside the garden.

It is good to sit and look at the Eucharist. He is there, even if you do not believe Him to be there transubstantially or consubstantially, as Protestants often believe, but He is there. At the very least He is there at least as much as He is in the parking lot. I, of course, believe that He is in the Loaves of Proposition which is why the priest turns and says Behold! What I am saying is that rest assured that when you put yourself out there for Him, He condescends to you. Realise that He is omnipotent and not just a guy in the sky who really benevolent but ultimately weak. That is a particular temptation I have seen too many folks fall to.

http://youtu.be/lkq-Fd9TU8k?hd=1

This homily is a good and humorous take on it. http://youtu.be/rNeyN5-4QCM?hd=1
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions