Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: How often do miracles occur?
Very frequently 48 75.00%
Sometimes 9 14.06%
Very rarely 3 4.69%
Never 4 6.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 14, '12, 1:21 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How often do miracles occur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricmat View Post
Quote:
A suspension of the laws of nature.

This seems like a common sense definition, but I think it will cause problems

Many of the materialistic mindset will merely say that "it's just a new natural law that we haven't yet discovered", or "it's not been extensively examined." You know how that goes.

Certainly you must be aware that Science Explains Everything. (Or will eventually.)

If only those with so much faith in science would have faith in God. This seems like a common sense definition, but I think it will cause problems
The only new law that could be established for events which occur in many different circumstances and have only thing in common is that they protect living beings from injury and death! It would have to be a law based on love rather than indifferent processes...
Old Feb 14, '12, 1:36 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathama Sit View Post
Quote:
It is our contributors who should be thanked - with their overwhelming support (90%) for the view that miracles occur very frequently.
LOL we could not be contributing had you not started the thread.
I started the thread because there are some Catholics on this forum who believe miracles are very rare and interfere unnecessarily with the laws of nature! So they are the ones to be thanked... although I don't think all those who have been healed would agree with their scepticism...

Pope Benedict and all the bishops, priests, nuns and lay pilgrims to Lourdes must be seriously misguided if miraculous cures never or very rarely occur...
Old Feb 14, '12, 1:44 pm

Religion: Wanderer

Every moment or never
Old Feb 14, '12, 1:56 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondiesel View Post
Every moment or never
Which is it be - in your considered opinion?
Old Feb 14, '12, 2:01 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Seed View Post

More or less, as often as we notice.

There must have been many that could not be noticed because scientists could not keep track of the precise extent of every natural disaster throughout history and throughout the world...
Old Feb 14, '12, 2:06 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalChristian View Post
More likely to happen when groups of people come in prayer. I've been a witness to one.
Would you like to give us more details?
Old Feb 14, '12, 2:08 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
Very frequently. I think that the birth of a newborn baby or a soul that turns to Christ, or returns to Him, are good examples of miracles that occur many times during each day.
Probably there are far more invisible miracles than visible ones...
Old Feb 14, '12, 3:42 pm
Banned

I voted "never" because I haven't found any reasonable evidence that miracles do happen, yet would expect to have found some evidence if miracles do in fact happen.
Old Feb 14, '12, 3:53 pm

I'm not quite sure of the original poster's intent but I'm thinking they may not be thinking of transubstantion, conception, the birth of a child, life itself, etc. We know transubstatiation is a miracle as well as the others things mentioned. Those things we accept by faith as a Catholic. To those outside the faith who don't believe in transubstatiation or accept the birth of a child, but just view it as a normal process of life and nothing special, what about those events? What about those visually unexplainably supernatural events that have to be questioned by the non-believer or the doubter that there is no logical explaination but to accept the divine intervention of God.
Old Feb 14, '12, 3:54 pm

Religion: Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrey View Post
Which is it be - in your considered opinion?
Is God's existence considered miraculous?
Old Feb 14, '12, 4:12 pm
Banned
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Anathama Sit

Quote:
I started the thread because there are some Catholics on this forum who believe miracles are very rare and interfere unnecessarily with the laws of nature! So they are the ones to be thanked... although I don't think all those who have been healed would agree with their scepticism...

Pope Benedict and all the bishops, priests, nuns and lay pilgrims to Lourdes must be seriously misguided if miraculous cures never or very rarely occur...
OH and if miracles never do occur, how in the world did the Church declare all the Saints to be saints, when miracles are necessary for part of canonization?

[NOTE: I believe in miracles but am trying to drive a point home.]
Old Feb 14, '12, 4:40 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathama Sit View Post
OH and if miracles never do occur, how in the world did the Church declare all the Saints to be saints, when miracles are necessary for part of canonization?

[NOTE: I believe in miracles but am trying to drive a point home.]
How can anyone who believes in a loving Father think He never protects His children against misfortune? Why permit suffering if it can be prevented without making it obvious that He exists?
Old Feb 14, '12, 4:53 pm

God isn't complacent within his work, neither is the Son nor the Spirit. God is always calling people to faith and he uses the miraculous in some instances to do this. I've witnessed many miracles within my life--things that are not ordinary to the natural. I know people who have witnessed miracles in their lives (even two women who got a visit from the Virgin Mary). And I believe in them because I have witnessed them in my own life. If you witness a miracle in your own life you will believe it in the lives of others; but if you don't witness a miracle in your own life you are unlikely to believe in miracles at all.
Old Feb 14, '12, 5:25 pm
Banned

Lightbulb Re: How often do miracles occur?

Quote:
There must have been many that could not be noticed because scientists could not keep track of the precise extent of every natural disaster throughout history and throughout the world...

Cannot assign many events to nothing noticed: to do so, in truth, would indeed be miraculous.

Old Feb 14, '12, 7:27 pm
Observing Member

The classical view of a miracle is God intervening and the "impossible" happens. Even the falling rain would have been a miracle to the ancient peoples. It's not that we are smarter just we now have better tools to determine cause and effect. But does my looking at events as God acting, make them less of a miracle? If you consider any event that displays the power of God in action as a miracle, there are miracles all around us. I see the miracle in the sun rise each day, for when scientific tools explain to me how precise the orbit of this earth has to be to keep us from either freezing up or frying, the morning sun rise takes on the meaning of a miracle. When you consider how tightly our body chemistry is balanced where by tipping the pH one way or the other = we will no longer be alive enjoying the beauty around us, each morning as i wake up is a new miracle.
As others have said there are miracles every day if you are willing to see the power of God in the event.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy