Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Is Identifying As Gay Getting a "Cool Factor" About It?
Yes, very much so 33 29.20%
Somewhat 36 31.86%
Not sure, never really thought about it 2 1.77%
No, gays still face much negative judgment 23 20.35%
This is crazy, there is no cool factor at all 19 16.81%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Feb 15, '12, 9:12 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is There Getting To Be a "Cool Factor" To Being Gay - Especially Among the Young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Wanderer View Post
Ironically, that's how troll battles usually go... which is pretty much what you can say to describe any 'debate' surrounding homosexuality. Thankfully, I've only ever had to use my Troll Mode in this manner once or twice. (In all cases, I can attest that it shut some people up. Not that I like the price of integrity that I had to pay. -_-;; )
Well, yes, that and the unfortunate truth that shutting people up is not Christianity's ultimate goal. Getting them to heaven is the ultimate goal. It is not uncommon for the achievement of one pf those goals to work entirely against the other.

As Steven Covey likes to put it: The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing, and the main thing is to get every stupid soul on the earth under the sway of the Heavenly Throne of Grace....including yours and mine!
Old Feb 15, '12, 9:33 pm

Default Re: Is There Getting To Be a "Cool Factor" To Being Gay - Especially Among the Young?

I don't think being gay is a "Cool Factor" at all. I believe its because in this day and age, the world is becoming more peaceful. If you look at the past, if you were a homosexual, you would probably get beat or worse, get shot.

The thing I'm not getting is how to these gay guys attract all the women? I thought they were suppose to be gay? I guess this whole gay thing could be more of a "Strategic Factor" just to look like a pimp and get all the women.
Old Feb 15, '12, 9:54 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsTalk237 View Post
The thing I'm not getting is how to these gay guys attract all the women? I thought they were suppose to be gay? I guess this whole gay thing could be more of a "Strategic Factor" just to look like a pimp and get all the women.
No, methinks the answer is more obvious. :\ At least in my country, girls like gay companions because they're just another type of gal pal to have fun with. You know... shopping, hairstyling, nail polish and all the other stuff you would never get guys like me to do with you unless we engage on a 1-on-1 mystical duel to the death first. XP

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Feb 16, '12, 2:38 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Wanderer View Post
No, methinks the answer is more obvious. :\ At least in my country, girls like gay companions because they're just another type of gal pal to have fun with. You know... shopping, hairstyling, nail polish and all the other stuff you would never get guys like me to do with you unless we engage on a 1-on-1 mystical duel to the death first. XP
There is something attractive about men who look at your face when they talk to you, too.
Old Feb 16, '12, 3:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasterJoy View Post
There is something attractive about men who look at your face when they talk to you, too.
That's not a gay-only thing!
Old Feb 16, '12, 3:43 pm

Religion: CATHOLIC

I have two neices, age 15 and age 13. Both very into the cool factor of being gay. Their facebook pages are full of positive comments about the gay culture.

Obviously they are very young but this is what they talk about to friends their age because it's cool to them.
Old Feb 16, '12, 6:51 pm

this girl who is on my fb and is gay...just posted a pic of a rainbow saying "god loves me just the way i am" so i kindly said he does but...

now she said but what? i dont want to offend her and if i have i just wanted to put it out there now i need a good apologitic answer lol.
Old Feb 16, '12, 6:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsTalk237 View Post
I don't think being gay is a "Cool Factor" at all. I believe its because in this day and age, the world is becoming more peaceful. If you look at the past, if you were a homosexual, you would probably get beat or worse, get shot.

ummm people are still getting beat and shot for being gay. no one should get shot and beat bc of anything no matter being gay. you know.
Old Feb 16, '12, 6:57 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC

Also, think of the female talk show host(esses) - Rosie, Ellen - how their popularity and likeability makes their lesbian lifestyles seem cozy, domestic, mainstream. They are likeable people. And I'm not saying we should aim to cultivate a dislike of anyone - but the celebrities have an influence.

It's hard even to write about stuff on this thread, even as its originator, without sounding like I'm saying be mean or shun those who ID as "gay" and are very "out" and so forth. It goes to show how much of a social grey area and sticky issue this has all become. How if you say anything against the homosexual lifestyle choice or whatever you want to call it, you are branded as a hater even though you really are just trying to love all people as Christ taught but also uphold the truths He upheld.

I think if Jesus had wanted to say homosexual relationships/acts were okay/equivalent to heterosexual marriage, He would have made a point of saying so and it would've been very unmistakeable. For that matter, same goes for fornication, extramarital affairs, etc. If Jesus was the radical that some would like to paint Him as, overturning all those silly old-fashioned restrictive rules, we would've known about it long before the 20th-21st Centuries A.D.
Old Feb 16, '12, 7:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy21 View Post
this girl who is on my fb and is gay...just posted a pic of a rainbow saying "god loves me just the way i am" so i kindly said he does but...

now she said but what? i dont want to offend her and if i have i just wanted to put it out there now i need a good apologitic answer lol.
Just say "Sorry. God loves you, no but's".

Invite her to come to Church with you, if you want to evangelize her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy21 View Post
ummm people are still getting beat and shot for being gay. no one should get shot and beat bc of anything no matter being gay. you know.
I'm sure he/she knows.
Old Feb 16, '12, 7:22 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasterJoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havard View Post
I concur! I look at my sister's face when I talk to her... especially when she owes me money or I'm currently dying of starvation because I've been waiting for her at the mall while its already past dinnertime. -.-

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Feb 16, '12, 8:46 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havard View Post
Exactly right. I'm saying that there are reasons that a person who is not sexually attractive to you might be more attractive than one who obviously is. It's not some huge mystery, nor something that necessarily has to do with being gay, nor does it imply some higher morality. It is just that it is easier to refrain from staring at something that doesn't particularly interest you.
Old Feb 16, '12, 8:50 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by m crane View Post
I have two neices, age 15 and age 13. Both very into the cool factor of being gay. Their facebook pages are full of positive comments about the gay culture.

Obviously they are very young but this is what they talk about to friends their age because it's cool to them.
Well, keeping in mind that this replaces thoughtless teen speech of the past that was sinful in its cruelty towards gays, this example of reactionary thought has its up side. There was a long time when the sinful acts committed against gays did not get the condemnation these sins deserved.
Old Feb 17, '12, 7:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by m crane View Post

That is surprising.

When I was 15 or 13 (a few years ago) it was the most uncool thing in the whole world and would get you harassed no end in the schoolyard.
Old Feb 17, '12, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Sims View Post
We've been witnessing this with our son for years. It's not just promoted by his friends (straight & gay alike) but by teachers and now professors. We've dealt with the accusations that we're prejudiced because we tell him that SSA doesn't make you "cool," and we've had to complain about a religion teacher at a Catholic high school telling the class that, from a Catholic perspective, the Church now teaches that SSA is A-okay as long as you're truly in love and committed to one person. It makes teaching Christian love & acceptance and the morality of homosexuality a real minefield, mainly because the one lends credence the coolness claims, while the other (in his mind) bolstered the "Mom & Dad are hateful bigots" claims.
I have to disagree here, though, that it's "promoted."

Does anyone believe that young people are "turning gay" or turning to "gay culture" because someone else says it's "cool"? I seriously doubt that.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life