Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 14, '12, 4:02 pm

Religion: Catholic, formerly a practical atheist for about 25 years
Default Cardinal George on Political Correctness

Cardinal George and the bishops of Illinois recently issued a letter concerning Governor Pat Quinn's views conflicting with those of the Church. This is what they said.

“We share the Governor’s concern for the poor,” they wrote. “From our point of view, however, this was a meeting between pastors and a member of the Church to discuss the principles of faith, not the works of faith. On several occasions, the Governor has referred to his Catholic conscience and faith as the justification for certain political decisions.”

The letter continued: “As Catholic pastors, we wanted to remind the Governor that conscience, while always free, is properly formed in harmony with the tradition of the Church, as defined by Scripture and authentic teaching authority. A personal conscience that is not consistent with authentic Catholic teaching is not a Catholic conscience. The Catholic faith cannot be used to justify positions contrary to the faith itself. It is a matter of personal integrity for people who call themselves Catholic to act in a manner that is consistent with the teachings of the Catholic Church.”

Any comments?
Old Feb 14, '12, 4:48 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Cardinal George on Political Correctness

That's my Cardinal!
Old Feb 14, '12, 4:56 pm
Banned

Religion: Not a believer

What has this to do with political correctness?
Old Feb 14, '12, 4:59 pm

I LOVE that!!!!!
Old Feb 14, '12, 5:17 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Corpus Cristi Send a message via Yahoo to Corpus Cristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokomai View Post
What has this to do with political correctness?
That was my question after reading this. I agree with what his eminence said, but I wouldn't read "anti-political correctness" into it.

God bless,

Rob

~St. Joan of Arc
Old Feb 14, '12, 6:40 pm

Many Catholic politicians say and do what they think is politically correct - expedient - to curry favor with certain voters, even when they know what they are saying or doing is against the teaching of the Church. You don't get to use "conscience" as a cop out when you know very well what the Church teaches.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81C15L20120213
Old Feb 14, '12, 10:08 pm
Banned

Religion: Not a believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne II View Post
Many Catholic politicians say and do what they think is politically correct - expedient - to curry favor with certain voters, even when they know what they are saying or doing is against the teaching of the Church. You don't get to use "conscience" as a cop out when you know very well what the Church teaches.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81C15L20120213
I think there is enough misuse of 'politically correct" without extending its meaning still further to 'expedient" or "populist"
Old Feb 15, '12, 12:19 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Corpus Cristi Send a message via Yahoo to Corpus Cristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokomai View Post
I think there is enough misuse of 'politically correct" without extending its meaning still further to 'expedient" or "populist"
I agree. Politically correctness or incorrectness is not necessarily contingent on the nature of an idea itself, but in the way and toward the end that it is expressed and despite the rap that it often gets, it's not an inherently bad thing. I can use politically correct language and still express the teachings of the Church in a way that people can understand. What I would not be doing is speaking contrary to my faith, which is what is often described as "political correctness".

Example of what political correctness is: I find out at the watercooler at work that a coworker of mine supports Planned Parenthood. When another coworker comes along and joins the conversation, instead of saying "Sally supports the slaughter of innocent babies" to catch Bert up on the conversation, I say "we were just talking about our personal views on the work Planned Parenthood does; Sally was just saying that she supports them; I don't; what do you think?"

Example of what political correctness is not: Same scenario, only instead of saying what I truly believe on the matter, I nod and agree with what my coworker says so as to not express a belief that could be controversial.

See? There are probably many instances in which right-wing, conservative Catholics on this very forum who probably take pride in their personal belief that they are "politically incorrect" are actually being very much politically correct so as to not appear to be abbrasive fools who make an unnecessary stink about everything with which they don't agree.

God bless,

Rob

~St. Joan of Arc
Old Feb 15, '12, 1:24 am
Banned

Send a message via MSN to John21652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne II View Post
Cardinal George and the bishops of Illinois recently issued a letter concerning Governor Pat Quinn's views conflicting with those of the Church. This is what they said.

“We share the Governor’s concern for the poor,” they wrote. “From our point of view, however, this was a meeting between pastors and a member of the Church to discuss the principles of faith, not the works of faith. On several occasions, the Governor has referred to his Catholic conscience and faith as the justification for certain political decisions.”

The letter continued: “As Catholic pastors, we wanted to remind the Governor that conscience, while always free, is properly formed in harmony with the tradition of the Church, as defined by Scripture and authentic teaching authority. A personal conscience that is not consistent with authentic Catholic teaching is not a Catholic conscience. The Catholic faith cannot be used to justify positions contrary to the faith itself. It is a matter of personal integrity for people who call themselves Catholic to act in a manner that is consistent with the teachings of the Catholic Church.”

Any comments?
When I first read the title of the thread, I thought you must have been refering to Cardinal George Pell, an Australian Caedinal. Pell has made a name for himself as a strident critic of political correctness and of those who reach high office under the banner of Catholicism, then go on to adopt the expedient when faced with the secularism of real politics.

Read what Pell has to say about it here -
Quote:
In a Jan. 4 interview with the Sunday Herald Sun, Cardinal Pell gave a sharp rebuke to Australian members of parliament who "fly under the Christian or Captain Catholic flag" but "blithely disregard Christian perspectives" in their actions.

Cardinal Pell called out politicians who endorse secular stances on issues while insisting that they're Catholics, saying, “if you're espousing something that's not a Christian position, don't claim Christian backing for that."
This problem is not confined to the United States, but is apparent in Australia, the U.K., Canada and Europe. Western civilisation is shooting itself in the foot because those who represent the people are not willing to publicly state that the very foundations of western society are Christian.

Catholics in public office don't adhere to Catholic teaching. Neither, for that matter, do Christians from other denominations adhere to Christian principles. They are adopting the secular stance on moral issues and are in fact attempting to disassociate Christian ethics from public decision making. To that extent, what Charlegmagne II has labelled as "political correctness" is true.

In terms of Catholicism, which, in case anyone has forgotten, is the original Christian Church, Pell, almost echoing the Illinois Cardinal George, has this to say to Catholics in public office -

Quote:
The Catholic Church “doesn't teach the primacy of conscience,” he said, explaining that a person's conscience doesn't trump Church teaching. “You know if somebody said apartheid was all right, nobody would say, 'Yes you can say that because of the primacy of conscience.'"
It's about those in public office having the moral courage to stand up for what they purport to believe in. After all, it's those beliefs which made them who they are and which in turn got them elected in the first place.

Cardinal Pell certainly has that moral courage. I personally think he'd make a great Pope.
Old Feb 15, '12, 7:30 am
Banned

It's at least a start.

I think for too long the hierarchy kept quiet for fear of backlash. Well, the backlash is here anyway, so they might as well start making some noise.
Old Feb 15, '12, 10:12 am

Hokomai

Expedience and populism are at the heart of political correctness. Our civilization is awash in the idea that you don't say anything that will make you unpopular with anybody. That is political correctness, and that is exactly what many Catholic politicians are doing today. Shame on them and shame on the Catholics who defend them.

Cardinal George and the other bishops of Illinois \ had the courage to take that Catholic governor to the woodshed for falsely representing the Church and making it thus appear that he could be a Catholic and politically correct at the same time.

You have the same Catholic mentality here at Catholic Answers and elsewhere. Some Catholics will boldly tell you that it's O.K. to disagree with the Catechism of the Catholic Church because conscience trumps doctrine. These are Catholics consumed by the desire to fit in (be politically correct) with a morally corrupt society.
Old Feb 15, '12, 11:33 am

Religion: Catholic and love it!

I say good for the cardinal. There are to many "catholic" politians running around claiming they stand up for what us catholic's believe. More of the bishops need to be doing this.
Old Feb 15, '12, 11:55 am
Book Club Member

"The enemy held fast my will, and had made of it a chain, and had bound me tight with it. For out of the perverse will came lust, and the service of lust ended in habit, and habit, not resisted, became necessity." St. Augustine Confessions

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology