Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 15, '12, 3:15 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default How did you get your name?

As for my first name, Yehuda, it's quite an interesting story. My mother and father were attending a Christian gathering when she had me in her womb, and while walking on the stairs my mum was met by a Protestant pastor. He asked my mum if I was to be her firstborn, to which my mum said yes. He replied that I was to become a boy and that she should name me Yehuda, to which she obliged
Old Feb 15, '12, 3:30 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How did you get your name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yehuda Dion View Post
As for my first name, Yehuda, it's quite an interesting story. My mother and father were attending a Christian gathering when she had me in her womb, and while walking on the stairs my mum was met by a Protestant pastor. He asked my mum if I was to be her firstborn, to which my mum said yes. He replied that I was to become a boy and that she should name me Yehuda, to which she obliged
I see the meaning of Yehuda is praise or thanks. I had not heard of this name before.

My middle name is Gerard. My mom had several miscarriages before me, and I was a difficult pregnancy as well. A friend suggested she pray to Saint Gerard Majella, patron of expectant mothers. I was given the name in gratitude for his intercession.
Old Feb 15, '12, 4:08 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofirst View Post
I see the meaning of Yehuda is praise or thanks. I had not heard of this name before.

My middle name is Gerard. My mom had several miscarriages before me, and I was a difficult pregnancy as well. A friend suggested she pray to Saint Gerard Majella, patron of expectant mothers. I was given the name in gratitude for his intercession.
Oh! Such a touching story. And a beautiful case! Thanks very much for sharing.
Old Feb 15, '12, 4:27 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yehuda Dion View Post
Cool.
Yehuda is a great name indeed.
I got my name simply because my parents liked it. Not because it had any meaning.
Old Feb 15, '12, 5:41 am

Religion: Catholic wannabe

My name, Hilary, comes from Dorothy Sayers The Nine Tailors, a Lord Peter Wimsey murder mystery They couldn't agree on any other name. Had my father his way, I would have been Alexandra Mary Elizabeth after the last three queens of England. My mother wanted no part of that, and wanted to name me Lynn. They both happen to be big fans of Lord Peter Wimsey novels, though, so that's where they met in the middle.
Old Feb 15, '12, 5:42 am

My name is Hannah and my dad named me after the mother of Samuel from the Old Testament, Hannah
Old Feb 15, '12, 5:45 am

Religion: catholic

My first name "Mary" is after Our Lady and my middle name is for the saint on who's feast day I was born.

I once knew a girl who's parents picked her first name because they heard it on a toilet paper commercial and liked the sound of it!
Old Feb 15, '12, 5:48 am

My sister got saint names for both first and middle, Theresa Ann.

My mom made up my first name and my middle name is just ordinary. No saint names for me. 2nd kids always get ripped off!

Old Feb 15, '12, 6:19 am
Veteran Member

My name is Liza. (sounds like Leeza) My mother was 16 when I was born, and she just loved Elizabeth Taylor and thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world at the time. She did not want to name me Elizabeth, so she called me Liza. (NOT Lie-zah!!!)

She did say though, that if she had read Gone with the Wind before I was born I would have absolutely been a Scarlet. LOL

I am so not a Scarlet!!!

~Liza
Old Feb 15, '12, 6:44 am

A couple days before I was born, my parents got a call from my uncle telling them that their son had just been born and they'd named him the name (first & middle) my parents had picked almost two years earlier when they decided to have me. They hadn't told anyone this, so there was no malice on my aunt & uncle's part, but it meant they had to scramble to come up with something new since they didn't want me to have the exact same name as my cousin. The day my mom went into labor, they were going over their options and finding they didn't like any of them. While trying to come up with something else, my name came up and they settled on it since they hadn't been able to agree on anything. They waited until the day after I was born to come up with my middle name, which also wasn't one they'd ever considered previously.
Old Feb 15, '12, 7:53 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
My sister got saint names for both first and middle, Theresa Ann.

My mom made up my first name and my middle name is just ordinary. No saint names for me. 2nd kids always get ripped off!

Is your real name Juliane? There are a few Saints with at least Julia:

http://www.catholic.org/saints/stindex.php?lst=J&page=2

The Word became flesh, He lived among us, and we saw His glory, the glory that He has from the Father as only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Old Feb 15, '12, 7:58 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Universalist

I got my name- Adam- from the Bible. My mother always said that I was named so because of the perseverance Adam showed after being cast out of the Garden of Eden- she hoped that I would be able to persevere through my trials as well.
Old Feb 15, '12, 9:08 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

I got my name Elizabeth because of the day AND month that I was born that was the same birthday of Queen Elizabeth or Queen Isabel (I don't remember)...4th of Aug.
And secondly, that my dad's mom second name was Isabel. Therefore, my parents named me Elizabeth.

Not to brag, I love my name!

Please God, continue to bless our relationship, that we may bring each other closer to You through Christ, our Lord, in the unity of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Old Feb 15, '12, 9:46 am

My mother liked my name, simple as that. It was predominately a boy's name when she had me, which ruffled a few grandmotherly feathers until they convinced my parents to give me feminine middle name - An (pronounced like Ron, not ran).

Luna
Old Feb 15, '12, 10:18 am

My mom's version of the story: They (or sometimes just my father) were convinced that they were having a boy and did not consider a single female name during the entire gestation.
My dad's version of the story: Not only were they not thinking of girl's names, they somehow managed to not think of any names b y the time I was born.
So there I was, a day old and without a name . . . well, a first name. My dad was very insistent that my middle name be his mother's name, Pasqualina. He then specified that my first name had to be long-ish and end with an a. My mom just wanted something that went with my sister's name, Adrianna. Finally, it was decided that Giovanna would work well enough.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life