Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 16, '12, 2:38 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalChristian View Post
Don't you know that being in Christian faith, we've been called bigots for our stance on other issues. As for the Church, I pray to the Trinitarian GOD.
As do I, however there is but one God and if others worship him, imperfectly as it may be, our duty is to guide them towards the truth via reasoned and civil discourse not by insulting their faiths.
Old Feb 16, '12, 2:39 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

So now I'm a bigot for defending Christ, historical Catholicism, and explaining why?
Wow. I suppose Arius worshiped the real Jesus too? And Luther knew the true faith post-excommunication? Screw logic, let's just break out the guitar and campfire.

See signature.

You defenders of your own killers sicken me. You defenders of a system which denies God the Son, sicken me.

Rich - feel free to no longer take what I say out of context, it makes your argument automatically moot because you arguing against what was in fact not said. Quote it all or don't bother.
Old Feb 16, '12, 2:41 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbhorton View Post
So now I'm a bigot for defending Christ, historical Catholicism, and explaining why?
Wow. I suppose Arius worshiped the real Jesus too? And Luther knew the true faith post-excommunication? Screw logic, let's just break out the guitar and campfire.

See signature.

You defenders of your own killers sicken me. You defenders of a system which denies God the Son, sicken me.

Rich - feel free to no longer take what I say out of context, it makes your argument automatically moot because you arguing against what was in fact not said. Quote it all or don't bother.

This is the first time, I've been called a bigot for believing in Christ as my God. I'm not talking about other faiths, I'm talking about my own
Old Feb 16, '12, 2:51 pm

Religion: Catholic

I still don't understand why this is a story. Would I feel comfortable singing that song? No, probably not. And if the two choices were sing the song our quit the choir, I can understand that being a story. The thing is, there was a third choice, skip this song, but sing the rest. What is wrong with that option?
Old Feb 16, '12, 3:00 pm

Religion: Deist, former Catholic

As DaleM pointed out....this was balanced with a Christian song in a later concert: This what education is about, IMHO.

Quote:
At an upcoming concert, the choir is scheduled to sing an Irish folk song and an Christian song titled "Prayer of the Children," in addition to the song by Rahman.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/15...#ixzz1maXPbxpl
Again, much ado about nothing. If you want nothing but Catholic/Christian songs, I really can't help you.

John
With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan..
Abraham Lincoln
Old Feb 16, '12, 3:03 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalChristian View Post
This is the first time, I've been called a bigot for believing in Christ as my God. I'm not talking about other faiths, I'm talking about my own
I wasn't addressing you. Are you speaking in general or am I missing why you quoted me and said that?
Old Feb 16, '12, 3:11 pm

Religion: Deist, former Catholic

Quote:
There is no charity in letting people believe lies and not face the truth. Give me truth, and keep your sugary "charity" lies.
IS this a Catholic forum?
Yes, it is a Catholic forum, but your signature says nothing to the "truth." If I am reading your signature properly, your truth is a matter of deep faith, which can neither be proved or disproved.

It, therefore, has no place in a discussion about multiple faiths.

John
With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan..
Abraham Lincoln
Old Feb 16, '12, 4:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcelt View Post
Yes, it is a Catholic forum, but your signature says nothing to the "truth." If I am reading your signature properly, your truth is a matter of deep faith, which can neither be proved or disproved.

It, therefore, has no place in a discussion about multiple faiths.

John
Truth has no place in discussions on faith, even if it's uncomfortable and seems a little harsh?

Wow. So much for pretty much any real discussion on facts.

It's all relative I guess.
Old Feb 16, '12, 4:27 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

Quote:
I wasn't addressing you. Are you speaking in general or am I missing why you quoted me and said that?

My mistake. It was meant towards J.C.
Old Feb 16, '12, 4:29 pm

Quote:
Truth has no place in discussions on faith, even if it's uncomfortable and seems a little harsh?

Wow. So much for pretty much any real discussion on facts.

It's all relative I guess.
The truth of the Catholic faith is found in the CCC, and in that we read that Muslims worship the One True God.

"tough love thy neighbor as thyself. Get your own loaves and fishes!"- Stephen Colbert
Old Feb 16, '12, 4:41 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Francis View Post
I thought school choirs were forbidden to sing Christian songs?
Nope. Most choirs do sing Christian songs because if they didn't, they'd lose out on hundreds of years of excellent choral works. Most schools I'm familiar with (through family and friends across the country) do sing Christian works - not because they are Christian necessarily, but because they are wonderful choral music. Good choral music is not at all like simply singing popular works in voice parts.

Edited to add that most choral programs also balance between classical (read mostly church music), broadway/pops style, and multicultural music. Non-western music, including middle-eastern music, uses different rythyms and tones than we are used to with western music. It's interesting and usually fun but challenging for students to be exposed to those differences.

I realy doubt the choral director, school administration, or school board is out to promote Muslims over Christians in this particular school district. I'm in the camp that doesn't see the issue here.
Old Feb 16, '12, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sally View Post
Nope. Most choirs do sing Christian songs because if they didn't, they'd lose out on hundreds of years of excellent choral works. Most schools I'm familiar with (through family and friends across the country) do sing Christian works - not because they are Christian necessarily, but because they are wonderful choral music. Good choral music is not at all like simply singing popular works in voice parts.
Indeed, at my public high school, we sang christian songs and Catholic music in particular. In fact our Christmas program always included Handle's Alleluia Messiah and had hymns that the audiance was invited to sing along with. (O come all ye faithful, Silent Night, and one Hanukkah song). My senior year we sang a Missa Brevis, and we sang a requiem. That is we sang specifically Catholic liturgical music. We also sang a piece of Russian Orthodox liturgical music, about Mary. We also sang African-American spirituals which is kinda of funny considering we were very white.

So I personally don't see a problem with a choir director picking music from another culture, area of the world, or a different religious tradition.
Old Feb 16, '12, 5:20 pm

Send a message via AIM to SpeakInSilence

I don't even understand how we can worship the same God, this to me is disgusting. God in Islam is not merciful, he demands complete obedience, and no hope of an afterlife, I don't understand how this even can be the same.

This is like saying mormons, jehovah witnesses, and yadda yadda yadda all believe in the same God. Why even become Catholic? Why even be a Christian? Maybe I can find salvation as a Muslim!
"We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls. " -Mother Teresa
Old Feb 16, '12, 5:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakInSilence View Post
This is like saying mormons, jehovah witnesses, and yadda yadda yadda all believe in the same God. Why even become Catholic? Why even be a Christian? Maybe I can find salvation as a Muslim!
We are Catholic because it is Christ's Church- His Mystical Body. It is how He has deigned to commune with His people.

Through the Church we have the fullness of truth.

Other faiths may transmit parts of truth and through these faiths people do relate with the Divine. The three Abrahamic religions of Judaism, islam, and Chrisianity all worship the same God- the Church makes this clear.

"tough love thy neighbor as thyself. Get your own loaves and fishes!"- Stephen Colbert
Old Feb 16, '12, 5:53 pm

Quote:
CCC#841 is taken out of context (and really, should be removed or fleshed out), and a thorough reading of the pertinent documents, as well as that annoying thing called actual history, and multiple scripture citations totally disagree.
He knows better than this already. Check this out, and be sure to read the whole page:
http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...=495169&page=6

It's still the same old song and dance even after that. Rich is well aware of what the Catechism actually says versus what it's always being twisted into.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News