Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #31  
Old Feb 16, '12, 2:38 pm
JharekCarnelian's Avatar
JharekCarnelian JharekCarnelian is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: April 14, 2008
Posts: 22,208
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalChristian View Post
Don't you know that being in Christian faith, we've been called bigots for our stance on other issues. As for the Church, I pray to the Trinitarian GOD.
As do I, however there is but one God and if others worship him, imperfectly as it may be, our duty is to guide them towards the truth via reasoned and civil discourse not by insulting their faiths.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Feb 16, '12, 2:39 pm
jonbhorton jonbhorton is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 24, 2011
Posts: 584
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

So now I'm a bigot for defending Christ, historical Catholicism, and explaining why?
Wow. I suppose Arius worshiped the real Jesus too? And Luther knew the true faith post-excommunication? Screw logic, let's just break out the guitar and campfire.

See signature.

You defenders of your own killers sicken me. You defenders of a system which denies God the Son, sicken me.

Rich - feel free to no longer take what I say out of context, it makes your argument automatically moot because you arguing against what was in fact not said. Quote it all or don't bother.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Feb 16, '12, 2:41 pm
LoyalChristian LoyalChristian is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 17, 2011
Posts: 132
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbhorton View Post
So now I'm a bigot for defending Christ, historical Catholicism, and explaining why?
Wow. I suppose Arius worshiped the real Jesus too? And Luther knew the true faith post-excommunication? Screw logic, let's just break out the guitar and campfire.

See signature.

You defenders of your own killers sicken me. You defenders of a system which denies God the Son, sicken me.

Rich - feel free to no longer take what I say out of context, it makes your argument automatically moot because you arguing against what was in fact not said. Quote it all or don't bother.

This is the first time, I've been called a bigot for believing in Christ as my God. I'm not talking about other faiths, I'm talking about my own
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Feb 16, '12, 2:51 pm
KarenElissa's Avatar
KarenElissa KarenElissa is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 9, 2007
Posts: 4,475
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

I still don't understand why this is a story. Would I feel comfortable singing that song? No, probably not. And if the two choices were sing the song our quit the choir, I can understand that being a story. The thing is, there was a third choice, skip this song, but sing the rest. What is wrong with that option?
__________________
Karen
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Feb 16, '12, 3:00 pm
oldcelt oldcelt is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 2, 2009
Posts: 5,712
Religion: Deist, former Catholic
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

As DaleM pointed out....this was balanced with a Christian song in a later concert: This what education is about, IMHO.

Quote:
At an upcoming concert, the choir is scheduled to sing an Irish folk song and an Christian song titled "Prayer of the Children," in addition to the song by Rahman.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/15...#ixzz1maXPbxpl
Again, much ado about nothing. If you want nothing but Catholic/Christian songs, I really can't help you.

John
__________________
With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan..
Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Feb 16, '12, 3:03 pm
jonbhorton jonbhorton is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 24, 2011
Posts: 584
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalChristian View Post
This is the first time, I've been called a bigot for believing in Christ as my God. I'm not talking about other faiths, I'm talking about my own
I wasn't addressing you. Are you speaking in general or am I missing why you quoted me and said that?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Feb 16, '12, 3:11 pm
oldcelt oldcelt is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 2, 2009
Posts: 5,712
Religion: Deist, former Catholic
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

Quote:
There is no charity in letting people believe lies and not face the truth. Give me truth, and keep your sugary "charity" lies.
IS this a Catholic forum?
Yes, it is a Catholic forum, but your signature says nothing to the "truth." If I am reading your signature properly, your truth is a matter of deep faith, which can neither be proved or disproved.

It, therefore, has no place in a discussion about multiple faiths.

John
__________________
With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan..
Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Feb 16, '12, 4:21 pm
jonbhorton jonbhorton is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 24, 2011
Posts: 584
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcelt View Post
Yes, it is a Catholic forum, but your signature says nothing to the "truth." If I am reading your signature properly, your truth is a matter of deep faith, which can neither be proved or disproved.

It, therefore, has no place in a discussion about multiple faiths.

John
Truth has no place in discussions on faith, even if it's uncomfortable and seems a little harsh?

Wow. So much for pretty much any real discussion on facts.

It's all relative I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Feb 16, '12, 4:27 pm
LoyalChristian LoyalChristian is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: November 17, 2011
Posts: 132
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbhorton View Post
I wasn't addressing you. Are you speaking in general or am I missing why you quoted me and said that?

My mistake. It was meant towards J.C.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Feb 16, '12, 4:29 pm
ringil ringil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 9, 2011
Posts: 7,616
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbhorton View Post
Truth has no place in discussions on faith, even if it's uncomfortable and seems a little harsh?

Wow. So much for pretty much any real discussion on facts.

It's all relative I guess.
The truth of the Catholic faith is found in the CCC, and in that we read that Muslims worship the One True God.
__________________
To those with only hammers everything looks like a nail.

"tough love thy neighbor as thyself. Get your own loaves and fishes!"- Stephen Colbert
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Feb 16, '12, 4:41 pm
Mrs Sally Mrs Sally is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 23, 2009
Posts: 6,057
Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Francis View Post
I thought school choirs were forbidden to sing Christian songs?
Nope. Most choirs do sing Christian songs because if they didn't, they'd lose out on hundreds of years of excellent choral works. Most schools I'm familiar with (through family and friends across the country) do sing Christian works - not because they are Christian necessarily, but because they are wonderful choral music. Good choral music is not at all like simply singing popular works in voice parts.

Edited to add that most choral programs also balance between classical (read mostly church music), broadway/pops style, and multicultural music. Non-western music, including middle-eastern music, uses different rythyms and tones than we are used to with western music. It's interesting and usually fun but challenging for students to be exposed to those differences.

I realy doubt the choral director, school administration, or school board is out to promote Muslims over Christians in this particular school district. I'm in the camp that doesn't see the issue here.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Feb 16, '12, 5:00 pm
jilly4ski jilly4ski is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 3, 2008
Posts: 4,134
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sally View Post
Nope. Most choirs do sing Christian songs because if they didn't, they'd lose out on hundreds of years of excellent choral works. Most schools I'm familiar with (through family and friends across the country) do sing Christian works - not because they are Christian necessarily, but because they are wonderful choral music. Good choral music is not at all like simply singing popular works in voice parts.
Indeed, at my public high school, we sang christian songs and Catholic music in particular. In fact our Christmas program always included Handle's Alleluia Messiah and had hymns that the audiance was invited to sing along with. (O come all ye faithful, Silent Night, and one Hanukkah song). My senior year we sang a Missa Brevis, and we sang a requiem. That is we sang specifically Catholic liturgical music. We also sang a piece of Russian Orthodox liturgical music, about Mary. We also sang African-American spirituals which is kinda of funny considering we were very white.

So I personally don't see a problem with a choir director picking music from another culture, area of the world, or a different religious tradition.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Feb 16, '12, 5:20 pm
SpeakInSilence's Avatar
SpeakInSilence SpeakInSilence is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 29, 2010
Posts: 444
Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to SpeakInSilence
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

I don't even understand how we can worship the same God, this to me is disgusting. God in Islam is not merciful, he demands complete obedience, and no hope of an afterlife, I don't understand how this even can be the same.

This is like saying mormons, jehovah witnesses, and yadda yadda yadda all believe in the same God. Why even become Catholic? Why even be a Christian? Maybe I can find salvation as a Muslim!
__________________
"We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls. " -Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Feb 16, '12, 5:44 pm
ringil ringil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 9, 2011
Posts: 7,616
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakInSilence View Post
This is like saying mormons, jehovah witnesses, and yadda yadda yadda all believe in the same God. Why even become Catholic? Why even be a Christian? Maybe I can find salvation as a Muslim!
We are Catholic because it is Christ's Church- His Mystical Body. It is how He has deigned to commune with His people.

Through the Church we have the fullness of truth.

Other faiths may transmit parts of truth and through these faiths people do relate with the Divine. The three Abrahamic religions of Judaism, islam, and Chrisianity all worship the same God- the Church makes this clear.
__________________
To those with only hammers everything looks like a nail.

"tough love thy neighbor as thyself. Get your own loaves and fishes!"- Stephen Colbert
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Feb 16, '12, 5:53 pm
exoflare exoflare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 28, 2005
Posts: 6,973
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Colorado student quits high school choir over Islamic song praising 'Allah'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbhorton View Post
CCC#841 is taken out of context (and really, should be removed or fleshed out), and a thorough reading of the pertinent documents, as well as that annoying thing called actual history, and multiple scripture citations totally disagree.
He knows better than this already. Check this out, and be sure to read the whole page:
http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...=495169&page=6

It's still the same old song and dance even after that. Rich is well aware of what the Catechism actually says versus what it's always being twisted into.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8258Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: 1122Catie
5022CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4346Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: FootStool
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3835SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3572Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3230Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3207Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Chast Forever
3139Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3049For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Thomas Choe



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 8:58 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.