Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 16, '12, 1:20 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Pam Stenzel - No Screwing Around

Has anyone had any experience with this? It's supposed to be an abstinence til marriage movie/speaker, but I think there is a lot of ABC discussed. Any information would be helpful.

Here is the web site if you are interested:
http://pamstenzel.com/Home.aspx

they have this as part of "health" class at our local H.S. and I would like more information before I pull her out of the class.

Thanks!
Old Feb 16, '12, 1:24 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Pam Stenzel - No Screwing Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomaMary8 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with this? It's supposed to be an abstinence til marriage movie/speaker, but I think there is a lot of ABC discussed. Any information would be helpful.

they have this as part of "health" class at our local H.S. and I would like more information before I pull her out of the class.

Thanks!
From what I understand it promotes abstinence. What makes you think it discusses ABC?
Old Feb 16, '12, 1:25 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Thanks!
I am finding a lot of references to abstinence on her website - usually that does not signal someone who recommends contraception as a preventative. Here's the description of "No Screwing Around" -

f you like 'Sex has a Price Tag/Time to Wait for Sex', you'll love 'Sex Ed- No Screwing Around'. Sex Ed is a unique product that showcases testimonies of students and a newly married couple as well as Pam Stenzel and other counseling professionals that deal with the struggles teens face in relationships. This video is an engaging, magazine style production that is great to use in your classroom to generate discussion about the importance of abstinence until marriage. It also comes with a teachers guide. Running time: 30 minutes. Released: 2005
Old Feb 16, '12, 1:30 pm

I have seen her in person and have a borrowed DVD. She is blunt and not only talks about abstinence because of the value we have as people created in the image of God but the more practical proof that Abstinence prevents stds and broken hearts.

She is funny but straight. I highly recommend her. I do not believe I heard her speak anything against Catholic teaching. I think she is Catholic as well. She absolutely rocked, in my book.

She was direct and charitable.

No complaints here!

Oh and she works in a pregnancy center...the pro life kind.
Old Feb 16, '12, 1:34 pm

One of the DVDs she sells deals with the issue of abortion being justified in the case of rape. She doesn't have any specifically Catholic references on her website, but there are few denominations that will take a stand against abortion EVEN in the case of rape.

Except In Cases of Rape

* I see she does have a link to David Hajduk, who is a Catholic theologian.
Old Feb 16, '12, 1:57 pm

You may be mistaken. I think she was a product of a rape, so if my memory is correct, I believe she is against it in that instance too.
Old Feb 16, '12, 2:18 pm

yes, on her website you will read that she is a product of that and is prolife all around.
Old Feb 16, '12, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaslo View Post
You may be mistaken. I think she was a product of a rape, so if my memory is correct, I believe she is against it in that instance too.
You are correct about that. I have her VHS tape for quite some time, and have shared it with many others.
Old Feb 16, '12, 8:02 pm

Quote:
I'm not stating myself very clearly today, this is the 2nd time I have had to go back and correct what I wrote. What meant to say is that she is obviously AGAINST abortion in any case, INCLUDING that of rape. The DVD must deal with that very difficult subject that few denominations want to deal with - that of supporting the woman instead of urging an abortion in the case of rape. But to even have a DVD about it shows that she is very Catholic in her viewpoint, assuming she's not a Catholic.
Old Feb 16, '12, 9:06 pm

its ok. this forum stuff can get complicated with all these words and thoughts we are trying to convey. I am still looking but I may be in trouble some place else.
Old Feb 16, '12, 9:15 pm

Quote:
I have seen her in person and have a borrowed DVD. She is blunt and not only talks about abstinence because of the value we have as people created in the image of God but the more practical proof that Abstinence prevents stds and broken hearts.

She is funny but straight. I highly recommend her. I do not believe I heard her speak anything against Catholic teaching. I think she is Catholic as well. She absolutely rocked, in my book.

She was direct and charitable.

No complaints here!

Oh and she works in a pregnancy center...the pro life kind.
Great! Thank you for the information. What is the name of the DVD you have? Is it the one that she deals with rape and abortion?

I'm really trying to find out the most I can. My dd is very sensitive and even the discussion of these issues make her cringe, so a movie in a class room may just send her over the edge! This is a big reason why I believe parents should be the ones to teach these things! ABC is also discussed in the class and my dd has a bit of an understanding of the abortafacient aspect of some of the ABC and she almost cried when I described how a fertilized egg can be shed from the body. Since I knew both topics (the movie and ABC) were a part of the class, I thought there may be a chance the movie mentions or advocates ABC in marriage. I know I can pull my daughter out of certain class days, but I don't want to over react. I want to keep a cool head and educate myself and be ready to discuss things with her as she goes through this.

Thanks again. any info you may have or experiences to share, I'd love to hear them!
Old Feb 16, '12, 9:16 pm

Quote:
its ok. this forum stuff can get complicated with all these words and thoughts we are trying to convey. I am still looking but I may be in trouble some place else.
haha So True!!!
Old Feb 16, '12, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Great! Thank you for the information. What is the name of the DVD you have? Is it the one that she deals with rape and abortion?

I'm really trying to find out the most I can. My dd is very sensitive and even the discussion of these issues make her cringe, so a movie in a class room may just send her over the edge! This is a big reason why I believe parents should be the ones to teach these things! ABC is also discussed in the class and my dd has a bit of an understanding of the abortafacient aspect of some of the ABC and she almost cried when I described how a fertilized egg can be shed from the body. Since I knew both topics (the movie and ABC) were a part of the class, I thought there may be a chance the movie mentions or advocates ABC in marriage. I know I can pull my daughter out of certain class days, but I don't want to over react. I want to keep a cool head and educate myself and be ready to discuss things with her as she goes through this.

Thanks again. any info you may have or experiences to share, I'd love to hear them!
The one we borrowed is called "sex has a pricetag" I believe. I saw her in person so I didn't watch it but my prolife, and pro chastity dd did and she likes her boldness. She talks about how she gets these girls in the clinic where she works and they would say "whew, at least I am not pregnant!" and she would reply "honey, you can live through pregnancy but one encounter with the wrong person and you could become sterile or worse for the rest of your life. " Then she gets into all of the stds, hpvs (and also is not an advocate for the 4 strands the innoculation is supposed to prevent out of so many hpv viruses. She lays it out, and uses humor too. Your daughter may be embarrassed but watch it with her anyway. Pam Stenzel has a website. Check with your youth pastor there may be a copy around the church too. She does visits to youth groups too.
Old Feb 17, '12, 10:01 am

Quote:
The one we borrowed is called "sex has a pricetag" I believe. I saw her in person so I didn't watch it but my prolife, and pro chastity dd did and she likes her boldness. She talks about how she gets these girls in the clinic where she works and they would say "whew, at least I am not pregnant!" and she would reply "honey, you can live through pregnancy but one encounter with the wrong person and you could become sterile or worse for the rest of your life. " Then she gets into all of the stds, hpvs (and also is not an advocate for the 4 strands the innoculation is supposed to prevent out of so many hpv viruses. She lays it out, and uses humor too. Your daughter may be embarrassed but watch it with her anyway. Pam Stenzel has a website. Check with your youth pastor there may be a copy around the church too. She does visits to youth groups too.
Thank you. It is sounding more and more like I need to keep her out the day the movie is shown. She is already scared by the idea of sex, and to have all those negative portrayals shown will not help her view. I would prefer this topic to come up when she is ready, but for know I'll have to concentrate on putting out fires and help explain what all the kids are talking about.
Old Feb 17, '12, 10:27 am

Quote:
Thank you. It is sounding more and more like I need to keep her out the day the movie is shown. She is already scared by the idea of sex, and to have all those negative portrayals shown will not help her view. I would prefer this topic to come up when she is ready, but for know I'll have to concentrate on putting out fires and help explain what all the kids are talking about.
Wow, how old is your daughter? Mine didn't see or the video until recently and she is 16. You are your daughter's first teacher and you know her better than anyone. I do not recommend it too early. Like my son who is 10, is ready for some things but I am discerning as well, to find the right thing for a young man. He already knows to avert his eyes when the world and Victorias Secret forces it on him. He says "not looking, not looking...". I praise him for that.

Most boys seem to get introduced to the junk that hooks them into sin and addiction from a "harmless" look at something forbidden. I am worried so much for my son. Telling him to take a cold shower isn't enough. He needs to be equipped, and hold all that energy for a one true love. Someone who will cherish him and who he can make sacrifices for...unless he is called to become a priest.

he loves babies, which is so nice to see. His heart melts. So maybe I can use his natural love for Children to teach him. then later more direct formation.

My daughter is outspoken and is trying to balance her attitude with the ones of her peers, and trying to learn to not throw rocks because her chastity is important to herself. Curiosity and zero training from my mom...except for "don't do it until you are married" . She was probably waiting for me to ask her...don't do that. You be proactive, but discern what she is ready for. The public school kids will give her more than enough initiation and she needs to be ready for that too. My daughter tells me what she sees in the hallways, it is just gross. We only have a k-8 catholic school here. It doesn't protect from everything but it is way better even with the problems it does have.

So we are in the same boat, you find a way to teach her before unauthorized visitors do. But as she is ready to protect her own chastity.

You are a good mom.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life