Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 16, '12, 1:07 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Lightbulb End of the world!!!!!!

ok, youtube is driving me nuts. somehow i got on a video about how the world will end in 2020, using biblical refrences and a rediculous method of taking words from different verses to show "hidden messages". i commented (because i'm so intelligent) and pointed out the "no one knows when the time will come" verse. i recieved these replies and don't know how to respond

"If you do not watch, I will come upon thee as a thief- Revelation 3:3
This means if you do watch, YOU CAN know when the Lord is coming- like the wise men who were there when Jesus came the first time.
If a wise man cannot know time and judgement, then Ecclesiastes 8:5 told us a lie.
Again, to say no one knows what time it is has NEVER been the same as saying no one will ever know what time it is.
Pay attention! That is what good watchmen do."

"To say no one knows- IS NOT the same as saying no one will ever know. When Daniel 8:17 said the time of the end shall be the vision- they did not know the time of the vision meant seeing 20/20.
When Mark 13:23 said "I have foretold you all things"- it did not say all things except the time of the end. Are YOU saying Jesus lied???"
Old Feb 16, '12, 2:37 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: One. Holy. Catholic. Apostolic.
Default Re: End of the world!!!!!!

You know, they might be onto something with this hidden meaning of words! I tried a little of their method and just look what I found:

Jeremiah 1:10
10Lo, I have set thee this day over the nations, and over the kingdoms, to root up, and pull down, and to waste, and to destroy, and to build, and to plant.

Ezekiel 1:4
4And I saw, and behold a whirlwind came out of the north: and a great cloud, and a fire infolding it, and brightness was about it: and out of the midst thereof, that is, out of the midst of the fire, as it were the resemblance of amber:

2 Kings 12:12
And made the repairs: and to them that cut stones, and to buy timber, and stones, to be hewed, that the repairs of the house of the Lord might be completely finished, and wheresoever there was need of expenses to uphold the house

Ecclesiastes 7:17
Be not over just: and be not more wise than is necessary, lest thou become stupid.
Old Feb 16, '12, 2:38 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (ex-Protestant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
You know, they might be onto something! I tried a little of their method and just look what I found:

Jeremiah 1:10
Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
10Lo, I have set thee this day over the nations, and over the kingdoms, to root up, and pull down, and to waste, and to destroy, and to build, and to plant.

Ezekiel 1:4
4And I saw, and behold a whirlwind came out of the north: and a great cloud, and a fire infolding it, and brightness was about it: and out of the midst thereof, that is, out of the midst of the fire, as it were the resemblance of amber:

2 Kings 12:12
And made the repairs: and to them that cut stones, and to buy timber, and stones, to be hewed, that the repairs of the house of the Lord might be completely finished, and wheresoever there was need of expenses to uphold the house

Ecclesiastes 7:17
Be not over just: and be not more wise than is necessary, lest thou become stupid.
That's very clever.

Ah Lord! do not withdraw,
Lest want of aw
Make Sinne appeare;
And when thou dost but shine lesse cleare,
Say, that thou art not here.

George Herbert, "A Parodie"
Old Feb 16, '12, 2:44 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anodos View Post
That's very clever.
Mark 13:22
For there will rise up false Christs and false prophets, and they shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce (if it were possible) even the elect.
Old Feb 16, '12, 2:49 pm
Prayer Warrior

no no no, not that way. thay take ones from the same chapter and verse from different books!!!

John 1:18 "No one has ever seen God"

Luke 1:18 "how will I know that this is so?"

Mark 1:18 "And immidiatly they left their nets and followed him"

Matthew 1:18 "And now the birth of Jesus the Messiah took place in this way"

oh man this is fun
Old Feb 16, '12, 2:52 pm
Prayer Warrior

the most pathetic part is, SO MANY PEOPLE AGREE WITH THAT VIDEO!!! humanity has reached yet another level of stupidity
Old Feb 16, '12, 3:48 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo96 View Post
no no no, not that way. thay take ones from the same chapter and verse from different books!!!
Hey, they have their method and I have my madness! I was trying to keep it within the prophetic books, since we are responding to false prophets here...
Old Feb 16, '12, 7:20 pm
Prayer Warrior

ohhh gotcha i took mine from the gospels!!!
i'm thinking my message means that everyone will have amnesia...
Old Feb 18, '12, 8:33 am

Religion: Catholic, former Protestant

Quote:
humanity has reached yet another level of stupidity
Nah, humanity has always been this stupid. It was just harder for people to advertise their stupidity to the world before YouTube came along.
Old Feb 18, '12, 1:27 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowantphil View Post
Nah, humanity has always been this stupid. It was just harder for people to advertise their stupidity to the world before YouTube came along.
true very true.....
Old Feb 18, '12, 2:46 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
ok, youtube is driving me nuts. somehow i got on a video about how the world will end in 2020, using biblical refrences and a rediculous method of taking words from different verses to show "hidden messages". i commented (because i'm so intelligent) and pointed out the "no one knows when the time will come" verse. i recieved these replies and don't know how to respond

"If you do not watch, I will come upon thee as a thief- Revelation 3:3
This means if you do watch, YOU CAN know when the Lord is coming- like the wise men who were there when Jesus came the first time.
If a wise man cannot know time and judgement, then Ecclesiastes 8:5 told us a lie.
Again, to say no one knows what time it is has NEVER been the same as saying no one will ever know what time it is.
Pay attention! That is what good watchmen do."

"To say no one knows- IS NOT the same as saying no one will ever know. When Daniel 8:17 said the time of the end shall be the vision- they did not know the time of the vision meant seeing 20/20.
When Mark 13:23 said "I have foretold you all things"- it did not say all things except the time of the end. Are YOU saying Jesus lied???"

Good afternoon, jojo96,

Well, for my two cents' worth, there's a difference between the times and the time. For example, the general time is daylight and the specific time is 4:42PM that I'm writing this.

That is to say, I believe we are in the end times according to all the signs, but none of us know, not even Jesus Christ, the specific time of His return.
Consequently, the author of that Utube video can't possibly know the specific time of Our Lord's return.

God loves you,
Don

Prayer is the purest form of human love - Don D. Snow

We're all God's creatures...and some humans can be His children. - Don D. Snow

Even the ignorant, may have wisdom. Anonymous
Old Feb 18, '12, 4:01 pm

From C. S. Lewis' "The World's Last Night":

'Of this folly George MacDonald has written well. “Do those,” he asks, “who say, Lo here or lo there are the signs of his coming, think to be too keen for him and spy his approach? When he tells them to watch lest he find them neglecting their work, they stare this way and that, and watch lest he should succeed in coming like a thief! Obedience is the one key of life.” '

And my thoughts (largely influenced by Lewis):
And really, what practical difference does it make? If we know, or think we know, the day He will return what else would we do but continue to seek and obey His will?
Old Feb 20, '12, 10:55 am

As I have been saying in other posts, Catholics need to stop proof texting. While it is true to say Jesus said no one knows the day or the hour save the Father, it is not accurate.

It is not accurate because it does not accurately represent what He said in its entirety on the subject matter. Taken out of context and alone, the verse obtains a totally different meaning then when put in the context of the other verses.

More accurately taken in its entire context, Jesus said we would not know the day or the hour, BUT THERE WOULD BE SIGNS GIVEN TO US THAT INDICATE HIS RETURN IS NEAR, SIGNALS THAT THE 'SEASON' OF HIS RETURN (called the last days or end times or time of the end by some) HAS ARRIVED.

What signs?

A great apostasy, for one.

A great tribulation like never before in the history of the world, for another.

From what He says about an 'Elijah will come' and from what the Book of Malachi says, somebody in the spirit and power of Elijah will come before the Second Coming (not taken to mean Elijah himself, since Jesus indicated Elijah served as a type for the "Elijah" who is to come, when He clarified that John the Baptist fulfilled the role for His first coming).

Signs in the sun and the moon and the stars, for another (taken to mean eclipses, among other possibilities, since prophets said, "the sun will be darkened and the moon as blood before the great and terrible Day of the Lord' - a blood moon is the ancients' way of referring to a total lunar eclipse since the moon becomes reddish in color).

sign of the Son of Man in the sky - taken to be a cross of some sort. Historian Josephus notes a sword (it was a cross actually, but he said it was described as a sword pointing down to the city below) hung int he sky over Jerusalem for about a year before the city and the Temple were destroyed by the Roman army in 70 AD. Saint Faustina wrote int he 1930s that Jesus told her of a cross that would appear in the sky shortly before the last day.

power of Blessed Mary - an Age of Mary. Many saints especially Saint Louis de Montfort prophesied that Blessed Mary would shine forth in great power and glory in the time of the end. We are seeing that now in the twentieth century and even today with the apparitions of Blessed Mary shortly before and throughout the twentieth century, such as Lourdes, Fatima, and other more recent apparitions.

Gospel spread throughout the world - once this happened, Jesus said, then the end (time of the end) would come. This prophecy has been fulfilled, and we are in the season of the end.

God bless you.
Old Feb 21, '12, 7:43 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (ex-Protestant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smswife View Post
From C. S. Lewis' "The World's Last Night":

'Of this folly George MacDonald has written well. “Do those,” he asks, “who say, Lo here or lo there are the signs of his coming, think to be too keen for him and spy his approach? When he tells them to watch lest he find them neglecting their work, they stare this way and that, and watch lest he should succeed in coming like a thief! Obedience is the one key of life.” '

And my thoughts (largely influenced by Lewis):
And really, what practical difference does it make? If we know, or think we know, the day He will return what else would we do but continue to seek and obey His will?

Ah Lord! do not withdraw,
Lest want of aw
Make Sinne appeare;
And when thou dost but shine lesse cleare,
Say, that thou art not here.

George Herbert, "A Parodie"
Old Feb 21, '12, 5:00 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by beehumble View Post
As I have been saying in other posts, Catholics need to stop proof texting. While it is true to say Jesus said no one knows the day or the hour save the Father, it is not accurate.

It is not accurate because it does not accurately represent what He said in its entirety on the subject matter. Taken out of context and alone, the verse obtains a totally different meaning then when put in the context of the other verses.

More accurately taken in its entire context, Jesus said we would not know the day or the hour, BUT THERE WOULD BE SIGNS GIVEN TO US THAT INDICATE HIS RETURN IS NEAR, SIGNALS THAT THE 'SEASON' OF HIS RETURN (called the last days or end times or time of the end by some) HAS ARRIVED.

What signs?

A great apostasy, for one.

A great tribulation like never before in the history of the world, for another.

From what He says about an 'Elijah will come' and from what the Book of Malachi says, somebody in the spirit and power of Elijah will come before the Second Coming (not taken to mean Elijah himself, since Jesus indicated Elijah served as a type for the "Elijah" who is to come, when He clarified that John the Baptist fulfilled the role for His first coming).

Signs in the sun and the moon and the stars, for another (taken to mean eclipses, among other possibilities, since prophets said, "the sun will be darkened and the moon as blood before the great and terrible Day of the Lord' - a blood moon is the ancients' way of referring to a total lunar eclipse since the moon becomes reddish in color).

sign of the Son of Man in the sky - taken to be a cross of some sort. Historian Josephus notes a sword (it was a cross actually, but he said it was described as a sword pointing down to the city below) hung int he sky over Jerusalem for about a year before the city and the Temple were destroyed by the Roman army in 70 AD. Saint Faustina wrote int he 1930s that Jesus told her of a cross that would appear in the sky shortly before the last day.

power of Blessed Mary - an Age of Mary. Many saints especially Saint Louis de Montfort prophesied that Blessed Mary would shine forth in great power and glory in the time of the end. We are seeing that now in the twentieth century and even today with the apparitions of Blessed Mary shortly before and throughout the twentieth century, such as Lourdes, Fatima, and other more recent apparitions.

Gospel spread throughout the world - once this happened, Jesus said, then the end (time of the end) would come. This prophecy has been fulfilled, and we are in the season of the end.

God bless you.
Yes I've heard all that, but so many people "prophesy" when the world will end and it doesn't. Plus, these people are taking the most rediculous view of scripture possible. I could make the Bible say whatever I wanted it to if I spent enough time doing it. I'm just tired of always hearing a new "end date" and after it passes and we're all still here, it gets moved back a few months.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence