Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Who should be the Republican Candidate for President?
Santorum 81 56.64%
Romney 24 16.78%
Gingrich 6 4.20%
Paul 32 22.38%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Feb 17, '12, 10:26 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: On birth control, Santorum out of step with nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarrick8383 View Post
Ever since I saw the clip of Santorum arguing that the government created 240 million jobs rather than 270 million, I've been leery about his intelligence and honesty. Then I just heard him say that he personnaly opposes contraception but has the record to prove that he's always voted in favor of funding it both domestically and internationally.
Yes, I was suprised that so many Catholics on CAF said he was ultra conservative because on CNN this week he said he's always voted in favor of funding ABCs both domestically and internationally. So I guess he's not as conservative as some people think he is?
Old Feb 17, '12, 10:26 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Santorum reports millions in income as Washington consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan55 View Post
Community organizers work with the poor and powerless to improve their lives. They don't make much money in the process. "Political consultants" like Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum work with the rich and powerful to enable them to become even richer and more powerful and get paid millions of dollars to do so.

I'm sorry, but please explain to me why I should prefer a political consultant as president versus a former community organizer?
True. In addition to this fact, upon graduating top in his class from Harvard Law, Obama was offered big bucks to go and work for law firms in NYC.

Jim
Old Feb 17, '12, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
True. In addition to this fact, upon graduating top in his class from Harvard Law, Obama was offered big bucks to go and work for law firms in NYC.

Jim
How do you know he finished top of his class? He refuses to release his transcripts. Or did I miss something?

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Feb 17, '12, 10:35 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Republican Primary

The Susan B. Anthony List, the pro-life PAC, endorses Rick Santorum for president today. “Among the field of strong pro-life candidates in the GOP primary, one stands out as a proven leader in this great human and civil rights cause of our time,” SBA List Marjorie Dannenfelser, says in the announcement statement.
Jane Abraham, chairman of the board there, notes: “Each one of the candidates in the Republican presidential field have made a commitment to be a pro-life president. However, none of them have the record of consistent leadership that Rick Santorum has demonstrated.”
Old Feb 17, '12, 10:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Abyssinia View Post
Unrestricted, unlimited abortion - what Obama supports - is only supported by a minority of Americans, even self described pro choicers want restrictions on abortion, as seen by polls by Gallup and CNN. It's stated by Gallup: most Americans take the pro life position that abortion should be either legal in no circumstances or legal in a few circumstances, Gallup does not specify those circumstances, but it is likely cases of rape and incest.

I think Rick Santorum's view on abortion is closer to the majority of Americans than Obama's view.
This is exactly why Obama has picked this fight over contraception; not abortion.

This is being done to stoke up Obama's base. Also, there is a longer term strategy in play. Should Romney or Santorum get elected in November, they will have gotten the message not to push their "social issues" agenda. After all, they will want to get other things done first and, if they remain true to Republican form, they will back down on the contraception fight for that reason. The last thing President Santorum or President Romney will want is to get bogged down in a fight with the Democrats over contraception when there will be "more important" things to get to.
The expenses involved in health care, especially in the case of accidents at work, demand that medical assistance should be easily available for workers, and that as far as possible it should be cheap or even free of charge.

Pope John Paul II Laborem Exercens (19)
Old Feb 17, '12, 10:44 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post
How do you know he finished top of his class? He refuses to release his transcripts. Or did I miss something?
The MSM told us he did, so it must be true.
Old Feb 17, '12, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
Source?
Not hard to find.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/02/santorum-and-the-chiropractor-lawsuit/
Old Feb 17, '12, 11:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary bobo View Post
The MSM told us he did, so it must be true.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Feb 17, '12, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlund View Post
No. Rick Santorum knows it is wrong to use the government to force people to not use contraception. It is wrong, but it is a personal decision that does not impact anyone else's liberty.

That's a huge, stark contrast with abortion, which is a form of murder - someone deliberately taking an innocent life. That's exactly the kind of thing just law is supposed to prevent.

Exactly.

- Marty Lund
But aren't certain types of birth control such as the birth control pill considered abortifacient. That is, that prohibit an egg from implanting on a uterine wall or kill off an implanted egg. I don't know, you are probably more knowledgeable about all of this than I am. I guess I am just surprised that given the Church's stance on contraception that he appears to have a permissive posture on the topic (i.e. I *personally* don't believe in it, but respect other's rights to do it) as opposed to abortion where there is a clear line. Knowing how much of an orthodox Catholic Santorum is, it is difficult for me to see how his position is not a political compromise since he so very clearly opposes contraception.
Old Feb 17, '12, 11:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan55 View Post
Community organizers work with the poor and powerless to improve their lives. They don't make much money in the process. "Political consultants" like Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum work with the rich and powerful to enable them to become even richer and more powerful and get paid millions of dollars to do so.

I'm sorry, but please explain to me why I should prefer a political consultant as president versus a former community organizer?

Because the community organizer is terrible at being President?
Old Feb 17, '12, 11:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
Santorum has much baggage to feed the oposition in this election.

One, his record while in Congress of voting for two pay increases, while voting against unemployment extensions.

Second, I just read this one today and it's in his wife's book, when she was pregnant at 20 weeks, she developed an infection which sent her temp up to 105 defgrees. This triggered premature labor, in which she was given a drug to speed up delivery. The child was of course born dead, not being able to survive birth at just 20 weeks. The Santorum's brought the dead baby home with them to show their other children, and the couple slept with the dead baby that night.

The story seems macabre, but apparently true for it was written by Mrs Santorum,

Jim
You grieve your way, they grieve theirs. There is more to the story and the motivations, if you read about it.

And much less macabre than favoring child murder so your daughters wouldn't be punished with a baby, isn't it?
Old Feb 17, '12, 11:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
But aren't certain types of birth control such as the birth control pill considered abortifacient. .
All of them are. The OC's (oral contraceptives --the pill) secondarily work by preventing implantation of a fertilized egg (ie, a human being) 1-2 times on average during a woman's "lifetime" use of them.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Feb 17, '12, 11:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarrick8383 View Post
Ever since I saw the clip of Santorum arguing that the government created 240 million jobs rather than 270 million, I've been leery about his intelligence and honesty. Then I just heard him say that he personnaly opposes contraception but has the record to prove that he's always voted in favor of funding it both domestically and internationally.
When did he say that he personally opposes contraception but has always voted for funding it? I'm not denying he said that, but would like to see the actual quote.

Ishii
Old Feb 17, '12, 11:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rence View Post
Yes, I was suprised that so many Catholics on CAF said he was ultra conservative because on CNN this week he said he's always voted in favor of funding ABCs both domestically and internationally. So I guess he's not as conservative as some people think he is?
Wow, I didn't realize he actually voted for funding for contraceptives. But just reinforces the point I was making. Hard to see how this is not a moral conundrum for Santorum. He personally opposes contraceptives but is willing to shell out (vote for) money to pay for them? I think Santorum has a conservative record overall, but it just seems clear to me that he has compromised on this issue probably due to the fact that contraceptive use is so prevalent in the US. But hey, it's politics and I guess this is how it works. That's why I would never in a million years think of getting into it.
Old Feb 17, '12, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scipio337 View Post
Having a newsletter ghostwritten for you = "real job!"
Which Ron Paul apparently never read - especially the racist parts. Heck of a job he had there.

Ishii
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News