Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Who should be the Republican Candidate for President?
Santorum 81 56.64%
Romney 24 16.78%
Gingrich 6 4.20%
Paul 32 22.38%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Feb 17, '12, 11:30 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)
Default Re: On birth control, Santorum out of step with nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
But hey, it's politics and I guess this is how it works. That's why I would never in a million years think of getting into it.
Exactly.

And remember
  1. No politician is perfect
  2. Santorum is the most prolife over his career of the 2 Republican leaders
  3. ANY one of the Republican 3 frontrunners would be a vast improvement over Obama on the life issues and on the economy

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Feb 17, '12, 11:31 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Santorum reports millions in income as Washington consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
Santorum has much baggage to feed the oposition in this election.

One, his record while in Congress of voting for two pay increases, while voting against unemployment extensions.

Second, I just read this one today and it's in his wife's book, when she was pregnant at 20 weeks, she developed an infection which sent her temp up to 105 defgrees. This triggered premature labor, in which she was given a drug to speed up delivery. The child was of course born dead, not being able to survive birth at just 20 weeks. The Santorum's brought the dead baby home with them to show their other children, and the couple slept with the dead baby that night.

The story seems macabre, but apparently true for it was written by Mrs Santorum,

Jim
Please give us a direct quote. A while back, Alan Colmes said that Santorum brought the dead baby back "so the children could play with it" when in actuality they brought the baby home and said a rosary like one would do for any deceased loved one. Given the liberals' ability to shamefully lie about Santorum, any more I have to have direct quotes, otherwise I think the veracity is suspect. If you're going to throw out accusations, you should probably do better than "apparently its true." Unless you don't have a high standard for honesty. And I say this as someone who is not a gung-ho Santorum supporter.

Ishii
Old Feb 17, '12, 11:32 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Republican Primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post
All of them are. The OC's (oral contraceptives --the pill) secondarily work by preventing implantation of a fertilized egg (ie, a human being) 1-2 times on average during a woman's "lifetime" use of them.
Is it fair to link abortion and use of contraception (at least the OCs). That is, if you support people's right to use a birth control pill, you are indirectly supporting their right to have an abortion as well? I'm just trying to understand all of this better myself. I'm sure Santorum would make a distinction since he clearly does not support abortion.
Old Feb 17, '12, 11:34 am
Forum Master

Quote:
How do you know he finished top of his class? He refuses to release his transcripts. Or did I miss something?
It's well documented that Obama graduated Magna Cum Laud at Harvard.

He was also made editor of the Law School's news paper, a job which only goes to students with top grades.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1191635AANKaUv
Old Feb 17, '12, 11:37 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishii View Post
Please give us a direct quote. A while back, Alan Colmes said that Santorum brought the dead baby back "so the children could play with it" when in actuality they brought the baby home and said a rosary like one would do for any deceased loved one. Given the liberals' ability to shamefully lie about Santorum, any more I have to have direct quotes, otherwise I think the veracity is suspect. If you're going to throw out accusations, you should probably do better than "apparently its true." Unless you don't have a high standard for honesty. And I say this as someone who is not a gung-ho Santorum supporter.

Ishii
I don't have the book. It was quoted from a person at another sight, who has the book.

Jim
Old Feb 17, '12, 11:38 am

Quote:
Exactly.

And remember
  1. No politician is perfect
  2. Santorum is the most prolife over his career of the 2 Republican leaders
  3. ANY one of the Republican 3 frontrunners would be a vast improvement over Obama on the life issues and on the economy
I agree, Santorum is head and shoulders above Romney and Gingrich on life issues. Not sure about Paul, haven't learned much about his positions on life. Out of the four, I would definitely prefer Santorum. That is why I thought it was odd when people were initially so enamored with Gingrich. I had to believe it was just because they thought he could win at the time. But Santorum has had the most consistently conservative position on pretty much all issues across the board (economy, life, defense etc).
Old Feb 17, '12, 11:45 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
But aren't certain types of birth control such as the birth control pill considered abortifacient. That is, that prohibit an egg from implanting on a uterine wall or kill off an implanted egg.
The original birth control pill (1960?) was designed (by a Catholic no less) to create a chemical environment where the sperm was prevented from fertilizing the egg. Roe vs Wade no doubt relaxed the requirement that no bcp could abort a fertilized egg.
Old Feb 17, '12, 12:35 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
When did he say that he personally opposes contraception but has always voted for funding it? I'm not denying he said that, but would like to see the actual quote.
They are talking about Title X funding - the program from back in 1970 under the Nixon administration. It's were all the funding for STD exams and prevention, AIDS, pregnancy and family-planning counseling, contraception, ultrasounds, breast cancer screenings, cervical cancer screenings, etc. comes from the Federal budget. The Culture of Death people keep trying to get abortion funding in there but they've failed for the last 42 years thanks to people like Rick Santorum.

Every budget passed in the last 40 years has included or continued Title X funding.

The argument Rick Santorum has presented when being accused of opposing women's health or being a danger to throw the baby out with the bath water in his "crusade against contraception" (thanks Liberal nutjobs) is that he's never tried to repeal or defund Title X just because he personally disagrees with contraception.

- Marty Lund
Old Feb 17, '12, 12:44 pm

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...dorsement.html
Ohio Attorney General, Mike DeWine switched his endorsement of Romney to Santorum
Old Feb 17, '12, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
The original birth control pill (1960?) was designed (by a Catholic no less) to create a chemical environment where the sperm was prevented from fertilizing the egg. Roe vs Wade no doubt relaxed the requirement that no bcp could abort a fertilized egg.
Thanks for the info ProVobis.
Old Feb 17, '12, 1:00 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjsdad View Post
This is exactly why Obama has picked this fight over contraception; not abortion.

This is being done to stoke up Obama's base. Also, there is a longer term strategy in play. Should Romney or Santorum get elected in November, they will have gotten the message not to push their "social issues" agenda. After all, they will want to get other things done first and, if they remain true to Republican form, they will back down on the contraception fight for that reason. The last thing President Santorum or President Romney will want is to get bogged down in a fight with the Democrats over contraception when there will be "more important" things to get to.
What Obama and Democrats are trying to do is change the issue. It isn't about contraception - it is about religious freedom. The percentage of people who approve/disapprove of contraception is a moot point, when you are talking about religious freedom. I think the Republican candidate can easily reverse the debate accordingly and make the Democrats look stupid.
Old Feb 17, '12, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlund View Post
They are talking about Title X funding - the program from back in 1970 under the Nixon administration. It's were all the funding for STD exams and prevention, AIDS, pregnancy and family-planning counseling, contraception, ultrasounds, breast cancer screenings, cervical cancer screenings, etc. comes from the Federal budget. The Culture of Death people keep trying to get abortion funding in there but they've failed for the last 42 years thanks to people like Rick Santorum.

Every budget passed in the last 40 years has included or continued Title X funding.

The argument Rick Santorum has presented when being accused of opposing women's health or being a danger to throw the baby out with the bath water in his "crusade against contraception" (thanks Liberal nutjobs) is that he's never tried to repeal or defund Title X just because he personally disagrees with contraception.

- Marty Lund
Thanks for the clarification, Marty. I would say then that the accusation that Santorum isn't an authentic pro-life Catholic is both disengenuous and misleading. Too bad people feel the need to do that to a good man.

Ishii
Old Feb 17, '12, 1:20 pm

Quote:
I don't have the book. It was quoted from a person at another sight, who has the book.

Jim
So you are basing your statement:

"The Santorum's brought the dead baby home with them to show their other children, and the couple slept with the dead baby that night"

on hearsay? If you are you trying to ruin your credibility, its working.

Ishii
Old Feb 17, '12, 1:32 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
So you are basing your statement:

"The Santorum's brought the dead baby home with them to show their other children, and the couple slept with the dead baby that night"

on hearsay? If you are you trying to ruin your credibility, its working.

Ishii
I never said I had the source other than what I read at another site.

If your stating the information is false, fine present your source.

FYI http://abcnews.go.com/Health/rick-sa...ry?id=15306750

Jim
Old Feb 17, '12, 1:34 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
It's well documented that Obama graduated Magna Cum Laud at Harvard.

He was also made editor of the Law School's news paper, a job which only goes to students with top grades.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1191635AANKaUv

He didnt graduate Maga Cum Laud at Harvard. he was the first Editor of the law review that was appointed using standards other than grades.

Miguel Agustin Pro
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News