Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 19, '12, 9:44 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels Eyes View Post
Thank you for sharing your beautiful story Steve. I am happy to hear that you kept your faith through it all, but I am sorry for the loss of your brother.
Thank you for your kind words. Actually, this experience strengthened my faith. I will have to admit that there were times, when my brother was suffering intensely, that I pretty much screamed at God to take his suffering away. But then I remembered that Christ suffered intensely as well and that he was with my brother in a very special way during his suffering and the experience of my brother reaching out to the crucifix was a verification of this.

God bless.
Old Feb 19, '12, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Scott View Post
I read all the posts, and you all have managed to make me cry. I'm sorry for all the trials suffered; and at the same time, so grateful that God has not abandoned us.

What really touches me about this thread is that the Holy Trinity is working in all our lives--- regardless of our Christian religious affiliation. Very powerful and humbling.

Peace,
Anna
Isn't it amazing how God uses some of the most intense trials that we suffer to bless us with his beautiful presence. At a time when we are tempted to turn away, he is faithful and transforms a seeming curse into something beautiful.

Prasie you, Lord Jesus Christ!
Old Feb 19, '12, 9:54 am

Religion: Considering Anglican Church in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveVH View Post
Isn't it amazing how God uses some of the most intense trials that we suffer to bless us with his beautiful presence. At a time when we are tempted to turn away, he is faithful and transforms a seeming curse into something beautiful.

Prasie you, Lord Jesus Christ!
Steve,
Yes, indeed.

Praise to our Lord Jesus Christ.

Anna
Old Feb 19, '12, 2:52 pm

Religion: Protestant

I like far too many people grew up in a divorced family. This event occurred when I was an adult out of the household and very much independent for over a decade. During what was supposed to be a joyful family event, a wedding, we ran into some complications. Without going into too many details it was a situation where I found myself in the middle. I felt that the stresses of the broken family were being put on me. I was being yelled at and chastised with great anger by a parent. I had probably not done the proper thing, which led to this person's anger, but in all fairness I think what I did was in part a result of the broken family that I was subject to. The anger I was receiving was not just mine but for other people as well. I knew the other parties would never receive the chastisement I was receiving. What was supposed to be a happy time was turning bitter. I knew I did not want to make things worse. I suspected the person yelling at me needed to get out some anger and I was the one who would take it.

In that moment I became overwhelmed with emotion. I felt all the pain of my childhood whelming up inside me. I was transported back to being a kid again who had tried to do the right thing but was in a situation which I did not create inclined toward failure. I really thought I could not take it any longer and was about to explode with anger, sadness, and rage. I said a prayer to God asking him to give me relief from the situation. Suddenly I felt all the emotional pain disappear. The great weight of grief was lifted from me. I felt a tremendous peace come over me. The parent raged on but it no longer mattered. Eventually they finished and I was able to leave in calmness and let them cool off. I've never had a sense of peace and relief come over me like that and there are certainly not many times in my life where I've felt that much terrible emotion overwhelm me. It was truly God's grace and I very much needed it.
Old Feb 19, '12, 6:02 pm
Banned

Religion: Learning about Christianity

Just a big thank you to everyone who posted here so far. Each of you have been gracious enough to open up and share with everyone that which is dear to you, which can take a good deal of courage. All the stories have been inspiring and have enriched us all.

Your friend
Sufjon
Old Feb 19, '12, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sufjon View Post
Just a big thank you to everyone who posted here so far. Each of you have been gracious enough to open up and share with everyone that which is dear to you, which can take a good deal of courage. All the stories have been inspiring and have enriched us all.

Your friend
Sufjon
Do you have a story to tell as well or did I miss it?
Old Feb 19, '12, 8:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam1947 View Post
Do you have a story to tell as well or did I miss it?
Hi Miriam: Thanks so much for asking.

Nothing miraculous insofar as having anything to do with me, but I did once witness what I'm sure was a visitation of the Virgin Mary to a friend who was on her deathbed. This woman was very devoted to Mary, and I can assure you that She was there when the woman was dying. The priest from her church was very kind to honor my request that the rosary be said at her graveside.

Aside from that I have encounters with Him all the time, but they're intimations of something beyond my ability to express or grasp. He seems (at least for me) to make Himself known in the most mundane of everyday things. He's there all the time, but I'm just learning to see.

Your friend
Sufjon
Old Feb 20, '12, 1:07 pm

Quote:

Your friend
Sufjon
I just want to thank you for starting this thread, Sufjon. I have never seen such positive and inspiring posts from everyone and I have certainly been enriched by all of them. Thanks again and God bless you.
Old Feb 20, '12, 3:30 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveVH View Post
I just want to thank you for starting this thread, Sufjon. I have never seen such positive and inspiring posts from everyone and I have certainly been enriched by all of them. Thanks again and God bless you.
Thanks Steve - and thanks for participating. Everyone's stories have been so uplifting and reassuring!

Your friend
Sufjon
Old Feb 20, '12, 3:43 pm
Forum Supporter

I look back at events in my life and can clearly see the hand of God leading me, nudging me.......

But I could feel God pulling me to Catholic Church even when I was a Mormon Missionary. I would walk the Honduras streets.....and whenever I came close to a Catholic Church, I felt the strong need to go inside.

When I began doubting the LDS Church and studying and trying to keep my testimony, I one night clearly felt God close the door to the LDS Church and lead me away from false prophets. It was if his Hand was enclosed around me.

And then, many years later, as I attended the funeral for my Grandfather, and I arrived early to an almost empty church, I sat alone in the back.....I clearly heard God tell me that I was "home".

And here I am
Old Feb 20, '12, 3:44 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Well, a couple weeks after a Catholic Youth Retreat last summer, one of my friends was visiting me. He also went to this retreat so we had great discussions and stayed up until 4 am playing video games and having conversations. So, eventually we went to sleep, but we left the TV on.

I remember looking at my friend to see if he was asleep and turned to begin a prayer before i went to bed. I said my prayer and i rolled over to watch TV. As i began to dose off, the TV went dead silent, and a female voice whispered "Zachary". I heard it from the outside but it came from within. I woke up immediately and heard the TV again. I listened for another half hour but then went to sleep.

About a month later, I decided to tell my Youth Councilor, who is 25 years old and really connects with us teenagers. I told him about the voice and he began to tell me how God has sometimes used the Church, which is His bride on earth, to connect with those who are to serve in the Church. The coincidence about this was that about 25 minutes later a former student from our city was talking to us about Seminary and God's call.

I about passed out.

Hope you enjoy it!

"The unmarried man is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord." (1 Cor. 7:32)

"Come follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Mat. 4:19
Old Feb 20, '12, 3:45 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanKnight View Post
I look back at events in my life and can clearly see the hand of God leading me, nudging me.......

But I could feel God pulling me to Catholic Church even when I was a Mormon Missionary. I would walk the Honduras streets.....and whenever I came close to a Catholic Church, I felt the strong need to go inside.

When I began doubting the LDS Church and studying and trying to keep my testimony, I one night clearly felt God close the door to the LDS Church and lead me away from false prophets. It was if his Hand was enclosed around me.

And then, many years later, as I attended the funeral for my Grandfather, and I arrived early to an almost empty church, I sat alone in the back.....I clearly heard God tell me that I was "home".

And here I am
YESSSSSS!!!! AMEN

"The unmarried man is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord." (1 Cor. 7:32)

"Come follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Mat. 4:19
Old Feb 20, '12, 6:59 pm

Quote:
Hi Miriam: Thanks so much for asking.

Nothing miraculous insofar as having anything to do with me, but I did once witness what I'm sure was a visitation of the Virgin Mary to a friend who was on her deathbed. This woman was very devoted to Mary, and I can assure you that She was there when the woman was dying. The priest from her church was very kind to honor my request that the rosary be said at her graveside.

Aside from that I have encounters with Him all the time, but they're intimations of something beyond my ability to express or grasp. He seems (at least for me) to make Himself known in the most mundane of everyday things. He's there all the time, but I'm just learning to see.

Your friend
Sufjon
Beautiful.
Old Feb 20, '12, 7:12 pm

It is so weird but, I can't point to the day I became Catholic in my heart. (I'm really bad about dates and times and stuff) I went to Mass during RCIA and I knew this was true worship and that was it for me. We had a form to fill out at RCIA and I wasn't sure how I was going to answer but then I went to Mass and it was all clear to me. God wanted me to become Catholic and so I did. And I thank Him every single day that He made me Catholic.

But I do know that I have a Guardian Angel. There were numerous times when very bad things could have happened to me but, they didn't. Somehow in those very, very, bad situations I was okay.

Do you know what I mean?
Old Feb 21, '12, 2:20 am

Religion: Catholic Revert-so happy to be back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Scott View Post
I read all the posts, and you all have managed to make me cry. I'm sorry for all the trials suffered; and at the same time, so grateful that God has not abandoned us.

What really touches me about this thread is that the Holy Trinity is working in all our lives--- regardless of our Christian religious affiliation. Very powerful and humbling.

Peace,
Anna
AMEN to that Anna!

It is just wonderful to share in others experiences, and it has helped my faith even more.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions