Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 18, '12, 11:36 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage

Quote:
LORAIN, Ohio — It used to be called illegitimacy. Now it is the new normal. After steadily rising for five decades, the share of children born to unmarried women has crossed a threshold: more than half of births to American women under 30 occur outside marriage. ...73 percent of black children are born outside marriage, compared with 53 percent of Latinos and 29 percent of whites.
This is the fruit of the sexual revolution. Our president thinks that the answer to poverty is with free abortion and contraception. When in reality, these vices degrade our society and increase poverty.

Quote:
When a second child, with a new boyfriend, followed three years later — her birth control failed, she said — her boyfriend, a part-time house painter, was reluctant to wed.
Rather, sex outside of marriage failed her. It's telling that Obama-care will fund contraceptives and abortifacients but not education for NFP methods which would educate women and men about the fertility cycle rather than dehumanizing them with the contraceptive mentality. But of course, the pharmaceutical giants are making a fortune on the pill. Better keep people in the dark.

Last edited by Pork Roll; Feb 18, '12 at 11:47 pm.
Old Feb 19, '12, 1:50 am
Account Under Review

Default Re: For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage

i so want to reply to this post not because of what you wrote but the topic it covers, i will have to come back when i stop being angry
Old Feb 19, '12, 2:20 am

Religion: Very Catholic

People need to understand that contraceptives do not keep you from becoming pregnant. They just keep you from staying pregnant.
Old Feb 19, '12, 3:27 am

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Roll View Post
This is the fruit of the sexual revolution. Our president thinks that the answer to poverty is with free abortion and contraception. When in reality, these vices degrade our society and increase poverty.

Rather, sex outside of marriage failed her. It's telling that Obama-care will fund contraceptives and abortifacients but not education for NFP methods which would educate women and men about the fertility cycle rather than dehumanizing them with the contraceptive mentality. But of course, the pharmaceutical giants are making a fortune on the pill. Better keep people in the dark.
I once read that the UK had the highest level of underage pregnancy, I don't know if that still stands or even if it was accurate.

This is completely unrelated to your point I see, sorry, it just got me thinking.

My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Old Feb 19, '12, 3:46 am
Account Under Review

actually the USA has the highest level of under age pregnancies, the UK doesnt even appear in the top 26 countires listed.

But responding to the post, when anything is mentioned about unmarried mothers regardless of age enters the news it always makes me angry.

Im a unmarried mother, i didnt believe in sex before marriage it went against everything i believed in but that changed when i become a mother at 37 some men im afraid dont understand the word NO. Fortunately God blessed me with a beautiful daughter who will be four in May. She is the light of my life even when things are bad one smile from her bring happiness back to me, she is a true blessing.

I know there are unmarried mothers out there who got pregnant for selfish reasons, but the fathers of these children should also be hold accountable, it just seems that some people forget it takes two to conceive a child.
Sex is a powerful control over people and its not just physical action,

( sorry if this isnt the right responce to the post but it got it off my chest and now im not angry)
Old Feb 19, '12, 3:51 am

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maralah View Post
actually the USA has the highest level of under age pregnancies, the UK doesnt even appear in the top 26 countires listed.

But responding to the post, when anything is mentioned about unmarried mothers regardless of age enters the news it always makes me angry.

Im a unmarried mother, i didnt believe in sex before marriage it went against everything i believed in but that changed when i become a mother at 37 some men im afraid dont understand the word NO. Fortunately God blessed me with a beautiful daughter who will be four in May. She is the light of my life even when things are bad one smile from her bring happiness back to me, she is a true blessing.

I know there are unmarried mothers out there who got pregnant for selfish reasons, but the fathers of these children should also be hold accountable, it just seems that some people forget it takes two to conceive a child.

( sorry if this isnt the right responce to the post but it got it off my chest and now im not angry)
Men do seem to somehow slip through the net of responsibility.

My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Old Feb 19, '12, 4:05 am
Account Under Review

Yes they do, some men are a cause of a lot of suffering on this planet that they seem unable to recognised or accept, saying that there are women also that are capable of causing suffering to.
Old Feb 19, '12, 4:18 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Yes they do, some men are a cause of a lot of suffering on this planet that they seem unable to recognised or accept, saying that there are women also that are capable of causing suffering to.
You sound like a really good mother and you make a good point about men it takes two.

This is to the OP

I fail to see how this is President Obama's fault as so many things seem to be his fault.Was not George W Bush in charge just 3 years ago? Not everything can be blamed on the current president.

"Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers and sisters you do unto me"
Old Feb 19, '12, 4:31 am
Banned

Quote:
Maralah, I agree - but actually the OP also mentions the negative role of men, giving the example of the boyfriend who was reluctant to marry the woman who became pregnant with his child. Absentee fathers are a big problem, and many times they not only refuse to marry the mother of their child, they also fail to pay child support regularly, they fail to stay involved in their children's lives, etc.
Old Feb 19, '12, 4:46 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcrawford View Post
I fail to see how this is President Obama's fault as so many things seem to be his fault.Was not George W Bush in charge just 3 years ago? Not everything can be blamed on the current president.
President Bush was the constant target of ridicule from the left, because he promoted faith-based approaches and especially abstinence for unmarried school students. President Obama, on the other hand, defunded those educational programs that teach abstinence outside of marriage, programs that were put in place previously under Bush's presidency.

So, yeah, President Bush earned my respect, and I do blame the left, starting with former President Clinton's administration, and now Pres Obama's. Clinton's Health Secretary told in public, "we have taught the students what to do in the front seat of the car, now let's teach them what to do in the back seat" - meaning sex, of course.

So, one could argue, President Bush tried to turn the ship around, but both Clinton before him, and Obama after him, are running the ship in the wrong direction. One more reason why the leftists should be voted out. Positive change can be made, and Bush did work hard to effect positive change. Now we only need to vote out Obama and bring back some sanity into Washington DC.
Old Feb 19, '12, 5:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Roll View Post

How many married and unmarried men were those children born to please?

Why those words in bold? Please do not bring race into any discussion on CAF.
Old Feb 19, '12, 5:22 am

Quote:

I am sorry for what happened to you. God bless you and your daughter, a precious gift from God.
Old Feb 19, '12, 5:23 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by severus68 View Post
How many married and unmarried men were those children born to please?

Why those words in bold? Please do not bring race into any discussion on CAF.
Agreed!

To respond to L piperatus I do not want to divert this discussion about politics but your political views are very different to mine as a catholic.

"Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers and sisters you do unto me"
Old Feb 19, '12, 5:38 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female

Quote:
73 percent of black children are born outside marriage
I think to solve current problems in society you have to look at the source of what started them. It started in the 1960s with War on Poverty.

Quote:
The War on Poverty represented the crowning triumph of the liberal vision of society -- and of government programs as the solution to social problems. The disastrous consequences that followed have made the word "liberal" so much of a political liability that today even candidates with long left-wing track records have evaded or denied that designation.

In the liberal vision, slums bred crime. But brand-new government housing projects almost immediately became new centers of crime and quickly degenerated into new slums. Many of these projects later had to be demolished. Unfortunately, the assumptions behind those projects were not demolished, but live on in other disastrous programs, such as Section 8 housing.

Rates of teenage pregnancy and venereal disease had been going down for years before the new 1960s attitudes toward sex spread rapidly through the schools, helped by War on Poverty money. These downward trends suddenly reversed and skyrocketed.

The murder rate had also been going down, for decades, and in 1960 was just under half of what it had been in 1934. Then the new 1960s policies toward curing the "root causes" of crime and creating new "rights" for criminals began. Rates of violent crime, including murder, skyrocketed.

The black family, which had survived centuries of slavery and discrimination, began rapidly disintegrating in the liberal welfare state that subsidized unwed pregnancy and changed welfare from an emergency rescue to a way of life.

Government social programs such as the War on Poverty were considered a way to reduce urban riots. Such programs increased sharply during the 1960s. So did urban riots. Later, during the Reagan administration, which was denounced for not promoting social programs, there were far fewer urban riots.

Neither the media nor most of our educational institutions question the assumptions behind the War on Poverty. Even conservatives often attribute much of the progress that has been made by lower-income people to these programs.

For example, the usually insightful quarterly magazine City Journal says in its current issue: "Beginning in the mid-sixties, the condition of most black Americans improved markedly."

That is completely false and misleading.

The economic rise of blacks began decades earlier, before any of the legislation and policies that are credited with producing that rise. The continuation of the rise of blacks out of poverty did not -- repeat, did not -- accelerate during the 1960s.

The poverty rate among black families fell from 87 percent in 1940 to 47 percent in 1960, during an era of virtually no major civil rights legislation or anti-poverty programs. It dropped another 17 percentage points during the decade of the 1960s and one percentage point during the 1970s, but this continuation of the previous trend was neither unprecedented nor something to be arbitrarily attributed to the programs like the War on Poverty.

In various skilled trades, the incomes of blacks relative to whites more than doubled between 1936 and 1959 -- that is, before the magic 1960s decade when supposedly all progress began. The rise of blacks in professional and other high-level occupations was greater in the five years preceding the Civil Rights Act of 1964 than in the five years afterwards.

While some good things did come out of the 1960s, as out of many other decades, so did major social disasters that continue to plague us today. Many of those disasters began quite clearly during the 1960s.
http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/po...Revisited.html
Old Feb 19, '12, 5:45 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundrah View Post
I once read that the UK had the highest level of underage pregnancy, I don't know if that still stands or even if it was accurate.

This is completely unrelated to your point I see, sorry, it just got me thinking.
UK has one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in Europe after decades of sex education in schools, with very little if any focus on abstinence. Decades of government initiatives to provide free contraception. Most if not all contraception is FREE in Britain.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News