Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 19, '12, 7:49 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Archie Comics - Gay Wedding

That's right. Whether you grew up reading Archie Comics in the 1950s or 1960s, it generally stood for wholesome humor. Now we have this:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/11/...wedding-cover/

With all due respect for persons with Same-Sex Attraction, this appears to be another attempt to normalize homosexual behavior.

Now Kevin Keller is getting his own Archie title.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...review&id=4444

All I'm saying is: parents, watch what your children are reading. Sure, there are gay people out there, but gay marriage and gay dating?

Peace,
Ed
Old Feb 19, '12, 8:34 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Archie Comics - Gay Wedding

According to the Wikipedia article on Kevin Keller, decision makers at Archie Comics thought that Riverdale needed an updated image.

Quote:
Archie Comics co-CEO Jon Goldwater explained that including an openly gay character is a way to keep the world of Archie Comics inclusive and updated. "Archie's hometown of Riverdale has always been a safe world for everyone. It just makes sense to have an openly gay character in Archie comic books."[2] Veronica writer Dan Parent concurred, saying "It shows that Riverdale is in the 21st century." [1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Keller

If so, it is odd that the cover for the first issue of the Kevin comic appears to have stepped out a time warp from 1970.

(click picture to make bigger)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kevinkellerfirstissue.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	13076  
Old Feb 20, '12, 2:58 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Latin rite Catholic

Archie comics generally are an oddity in the comics field that are stuck in a bit of a time warp. I'm always amazed that some how the series keeps lurching on from year to year.
Old Feb 20, '12, 5:55 am
Banned

They still make comic books? That was something my kids never enjoyed.
Old Feb 20, '12, 6:03 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic90 View Post
They still make comic books? That was something my kids never enjoyed.
Yeah, here's their website:-

http://www.archiecomics.com

I love the 'Archie meets Kiss' mini series been advertised on there. In the same vein no doubt as the infamous 'Archie meets the Punisher' comic of some years back. Archie has never been my cup of tea, I read a few as a kid that I picked up second hand from street markets (which before comic shops were common was the only real way to pick up back issues in the British isles), but I never found them all that exciting. Archie* is the last survivor of the whole teenager comics of the post WWII era. Most of the comics featuring characters like him are long, long defunct.

* I suppose you could add Sabrina, Josie and the Pussycats and some of the other titles they publish in as survivors of that period.
Old Feb 20, '12, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
Yeah, here's their website:-

http://www.archiecomics.com

I love the 'Archie meets Kiss' mini series been advertised on there. In the same vein no doubt as the infamous 'Archie meets the Punisher' comic of some years back. Archie has never been my cup of tea, I read a few as a kid that I picked up second hand from street markets (which before comic shops were common was the only real way to pick up back issues in the British isles), but I never found them all that exciting. Archie* is the last survivor of the whole teenager comics of the post WWII era. Most of the comics featuring characters like him are long, long defunct.

* I suppose you could add Sabrina, Josie and the Pussycats and some of the other titles they publish in as survivors of that period.
The original artist for the Archie series also did a number of Evangelical Christian comic books, including an adaptation of "The Cross and the Switchblade" that was frequently distributed to kids by preachers in the 1960s. I wonder what he would have made of all this.
Old Feb 20, '12, 9:28 am
Forum Elder

You are thinking of Al Hartley, he didn't create Archie although he is very strongly associated with him. He did a number of Archie comics with a Christian theme as well.
Old Feb 20, '12, 9:42 am
Forum Elder

By coincidence whilst browsing I saw this, this is the first time DC comics has republished this since the 1970's. It was drawn by the late Nestor Redondo who was one of the many artist from the Phillipines DC employed at times.

The style of the story telling is a bit dated in some respects as you can see from the cover. But the art is fairly lavish.
Old Feb 20, '12, 10:10 am

I'm not too worried about it. of all the people I know who read comics I've never met one who reads Archie.
A desperate attempt to get some publicity.
Old Feb 20, '12, 10:21 am
Forum Elder

I disagree. This is an attempt to normalize a certain type of behavior. Here's an example of the Christian Archie:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Archies-One-...item518bb3b5cd

I am in no way associated with the seller of this item.

Peace,
Ed
Old Feb 20, '12, 2:55 pm

Quote:
You are thinking of Al Hartley, he didn't create Archie although he is very strongly associated with him. He did a number of Archie comics with a Christian theme as well.
You're right. He definitely used the house Archie style.

Give me Treasure Chest Comics any day.
Old Feb 20, '12, 2:57 pm

Quote:
By coincidence whilst browsing I saw this, this is the first time DC comics has republished this since the 1970's. It was drawn by the late Nestor Redondo who was one of the many artist from the Phillipines DC employed at times.

The style of the story telling is a bit dated in some respects as you can see from the cover. But the art is fairly lavish.
Nestor Redondo did some amazing art. The cover s unmistakably Joe Kubert, though.
Old Feb 20, '12, 3:44 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Nestor Redondo did some amazing art. The cover s unmistakably Joe Kubert, though.
I don't know anything about comics or their illustrators, but according to the DC website both men illustrated that issue and Kubert is credited with the cover art.
http://www.dccomics.com/dccomics/gra...vels/?gn=20118

The website also states that the reissue will be in hard cover
Old Feb 21, '12, 6:10 am

Sounds like the Archie Comics company is not the most pleasant work environment, either:

http://articles.boston.com/2012-02-2...el-silberkleit
Old Feb 22, '12, 8:13 am

I am extremely disappointed with the decision of the Archie Comics company to do this. I grew up with Archie and continued to enjoy it in my adult years because it stood for everything I loved about children's entertainment: wholesome values, lack of controversy and a focus on teaching morals. It remained clean even as the juggernauts of DC and Marvel delved into extremely controversial topics.

Then this comes along as a shocker. In fact, I think this is insulting, in a way, to people of same-sex attraction. I seriously do not get why this character has such a limelight, and why his homosexuality is so important, when the other characters' traits are not so emphasized. Why should Kevin Keller, of all people, get to marry when all the other characters remain stuck in relationship limbo for over 70 years? They have made Kevin into what sociologists call the Other, a character they love but is really outside of the social circle; treated more like a trophy pet. It reeks of politicization and the judging by the creator's portfolio, he seems to be far to keen on teaching kids politics to the point of having President Obama and Sarah Palin appear in an issue, sharing a soda.

The creator, Dan Parent, has sadly made Archie Comics into his political platform. I saw an issue of Archie the other day at the cashier's and I was tempted to buy it and delve into that wholesome fun again. Then I remembered what Archie stands for now and I put the book back. It truly is saddening.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media