Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 20, '12, 7:41 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Government Subsidy?

With everything going on in our country now with the HHS Mandate, I was asked whether the Catholic institutions that are being forced in this law to provide contraceptives, sterilizations,and abortions whether they are receiving government subsidy. I know they are but what are they using the subsidy for and how can I correctly answer this person's question?
Old Feb 20, '12, 11:06 am

Default Re: Government Subsidy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab27 View Post
With everything going on in our country now with the HHS Mandate, I was asked whether the Catholic institutions that are being forced in this law to provide contraceptives, sterilizations,and abortions whether they are receiving government subsidy. I know they are but what are they using the subsidy for and how can I correctly answer this person's question?

The question would be what does one have to do with the other?

They are not being paid a subsidy to provide this coverage. They are being paid to perform a service for the government - one that the government can't perform for itself. Does the fact that you are contractor make you slave to the government?

Does the government have the right to tell welfare recipients that they will be sterilized as a condition to receive welfare?
Old Feb 20, '12, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab27 View Post
No Catholic institution is being forced to provide contraceptives, sterilizations or abortions. Under the first proposed regulation, some Catholic affiliated organizations (mainly hospitals and universities) would have been required to provide insurance for their employees that would cover contraception, but not abortion. Under the current proposed regulations, those organizations would be required to provide health insurance that did not include those services, but the insurers would be required to add contraception at no cost if the employee so chooses.

The regulations have nothing to do with any subsidy the organizations might receive, the regulations are part of the general employment regulations that apply to all employers.
Old Feb 20, '12, 12:19 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
No Catholic institution is being forced to provide contraceptives, sterilizations or abortions. Under the first proposed regulation, some Catholic affiliated organizations (mainly hospitals and universities) would have been required to provide insurance for their employees that would cover contraception, but not abortion. Under the current proposed regulations, those organizations would be required to provide health insurance that did not include those services, but the insurers would be required to add contraception at no cost if the employee so chooses.

The regulations have nothing to do with any subsidy the organizations might receive, the regulations are part of the general employment regulations that apply to all employers.
The new regulations do require providing coverage for chemical abortion. Also sterilization. It's not just contraception. And requiring insurance companies to provide it "for free" is a fig leaf. Either the Catholic institutions will have the same rates as everyone else, in which case the whole "for free" thing is a lie, or they will have lower rates than everyone else due to providing less coverage, in which case everybody else will be subsidizing Catholic institutions.

Unless the government "compromise" is a lie, (and it surely is) the government would be obliging the general public to subsidize religious-based institutions, as clearly unconstitutional a mandate as could be imagined. But perhaps that's the point. Obama knows it would never stand court scrutiny to, in effect, subsidize Catholic institutions at everyone else's expense, and that's probably why he made that "compromise"; to be able to say he did when he knows it's a sham.

It's a sham like his "executive order" directing that Obamacare would not spend federal money on abortions. Well, no problem there, since he can just order insurance carriers to spend everybody else's money on it.

Lie after lie.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice