Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 20, '12, 3:21 pm
Prayer Warrior

Default Ignatius Bible

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. Does anyone here have the Leather version of the Ignatius Bible, Second Catholic Edition? I ask becasue the gold edging on mine seems to be coming off a little and sticking to the leather. Is this a problem with all of them? Is there any way to fix it?

Thanks and God bless

PS It's a fantastic Bible

Last edited by Gregorian12; Feb 20, '12 at 3:41 pm.
Old Feb 20, '12, 5:17 pm
Book Club Member

Default Re: Ignatius Bible

Ignatius has used different binderies for different printings of this Bible, and this problem has certainly been reported for some of the printings.

There are different approaches to apply gilding to pages -- I believe that Ignatius's bindery uses the "spray-on" method (which is a little like applying spray paint to surface.) A better approach is to fuse gold-leaf directly to the (highly polished) edges of the paper. I believe that Ignatius uses the former approach. (Cambridge is an example of a publisher that often uses a more sophisticated gold leaf on bole approach to gilding.)

The bottom line is that Ignatius book binding is not very good. Unfortunately, this is also true of most Catholic Bible publishers.

If you want to read up on gilding books, I can suggest this detailed description or this illustrated web page.
Old Feb 20, '12, 5:29 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bible Reader View Post
Ignatius has used different binderies for different printings of this Bible, and this problem has certainly been reported for some of the printings.

There are different approaches to apply gilding to pages -- I believe that Ignatius's bindery uses the "spray-on" method (which is a little like applying spray paint to surface.) A better approach is to fuse gold-leaf directly to the (highly polished) edges of the paper. I believe that Ignatius uses the former approach. (Cambridge is an example of a publisher that often uses a more sophisticated gold leaf on bole approach to gilding.)

The bottom line is that Ignatius book binding is not very good. Unfortunately, this is also true of most Catholic Bible publishers.

If you want to read up on gilding books, I can suggest this detailed description or this illustrated web page.
Thanks for the info! Do you think I could return it?
Old Feb 20, '12, 7:01 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorian12 View Post
Thanks for the info! Do you think I could return it?
If you bought it recently: absolutely. Amazon and most good bookstores have return policies for defective books. If you bought directly from Ignatius, here is their return policy.

Otherwise, I would suggest writing/calling Ignatius directly and asking them to replace it.

If all else fails, and you used your credit card to buy it, try contacting your credit card bank. They will often offer an automatic guarantee or will cancel the charge for defective merchandise. (I would save this for a last resort though -- let your bookstore or Ignatius make things right first!)
Old Feb 20, '12, 8:22 pm

Religion: Catholic

the gold gilding will not last forever.

I bought a Navarre condensed NT commentary from Catholic Answers. I didn't like it. The Ignatius Study Bible is much better.

I don't know what CA's policy is on returns, but I sent the Navarre bible back to them. I didn't know what else to do with it.

Notwithstanding Ignatius' policy, send the thing back to them if you're not satisfied.

My paper cover ISB, 2CE was printed in China. Need any other explanation?
Old Feb 21, '12, 12:15 am

Quote:
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. Does anyone here have the Leather version of the Ignatius Bible, Second Catholic Edition? I ask becasue the gold edging on mine seems to be coming off a little and sticking to the leather. Is this a problem with all of them? Is there any way to fix it?

Thanks and God bless

PS It's a fantastic Bible
I have my first RSV-2CE leather bible that I bought back in 2006 (which is my most used bible over that period of time) and I bought a second one about one year ago and I have not had a problem with either one.
Old Feb 21, '12, 7:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy View Post
the gold gilding will not last forever.

I bought a Navarre condensed NT commentary from Catholic Answers. I didn't like it. The Ignatius Study Bible is much better.

I don't know what CA's policy is on returns, but I sent the Navarre bible back to them. I didn't know what else to do with it.

Notwithstanding Ignatius' policy, send the thing back to them if you're not satisfied.

My paper cover ISB, 2CE was printed in China. Need any other explanation?
Crumpy,

There has been various editions of the RSV-2CE from Ignatius since the first edition came out. While the content is the same, the current one has a new maps section (which correspond with the ones in the ICSB) and the Bible itself is printed in the USA. (Thomas Nelson, which first published the Ignatius RSV-2CE is not involved with its publication anymore.)

Follow link for more info: http://catholicbibles.blogspot.com/2...e-edition.html
Old Feb 25, '12, 10:03 am
Prayer Warrior

Just realized this is a really minor problem. The little specks are barely noticeable. I was being way too picky. It's a great Bible. I certainly decided to keep it. Ignatius Press is excellent.
Old Feb 25, '12, 4:36 pm

Quote:
Just realized this is a really minor problem. The little specks are barely noticeable. I was being way too picky. It's a great Bible. I certainly decided to keep it. Ignatius Press is excellent.
You made me go check mine and yes the gold has come off a bit in places. As you said though its a great Bible and that problem is easy to overlook

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture