Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 20, '12, 7:37 pm

Religion: Catholic
Post Re: why no outrage about anti-Catholic SNL Weekend Update??

Quote:
Originally Posted by havana1 View Post
The SNL skit mentions the Catholic church by name. BY NAME. And they proceed to rip on the church. I'm just amazed there's no outrage whatsoever. Not even from Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, who was there on a skit. Yet, there's still considerable "outrage" over a stupid Grammy number very few people saw, compared to a very popular late-night television that is still viewed by a lot of people on a regular basis. I just don't get it...
Believe me, I feel your pain, I'm moved by it, as someone who experiences it on a regular basis. I feel personally attacked when the Church is assaulted by secular media...I don't wish ill on the attackers any more than Christ did, or at least, I try not to, the only thing we can do, is correct the record as much as we are able, and to pray that the Church may be delivered from these profanations.

As someone who loves Bill O'Reilly I've been criticizing O'Reilly off and on because, as a Catholic, he is occasionally permissive of sins that should merit his absolute disgust as a Catholic. About 2 nights ago he talked about how Santorum, for the sake of political expediency, should abandon his principled stand on social issues. I actually find it refreshing, since so many Catholic politicians feel they have license to professionally contradict Catholic teachings. I agree that it's probably shrewd advice, but Santorum's stand is uncommonly courageous for a politician, especially a Catholic one.
I've made this point before.
Old Feb 20, '12, 9:01 pm

Default Re: why no outrage about anti-Catholic SNL Weekend Update??

Really? It's comedy. The whole point of it is to make fun of everything and everyone. What do you expect?
Old Feb 21, '12, 7:27 pm

If we look at this through God's eyes the real tragedy isn't that people are insulting Him or His church. He can take it and did during His passion when people we're spitting on Him and mocking Him. His reaction was to forgive them and then die on the cross for them.

The real tragedy is that so many have come to the point where they are joining the crowd and risking eternal damination as their hearts grow harder.
Old Feb 22, '12, 3:44 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjk View Post
Could it be because no one watches SNL anymore?
SNL is also a showcase for musical artists that don't get played on the radio in most major cities - in a lot of cases, make or break. Just ask Lana Del Rey. Or Sinead O'Connor. Lindsay Lohan's return to the public eye, not to mention the first solo appearance by Jack White from the White Stripes, will be on SNL. So, I don't believe for a moment that nobody watches it anymore, because that's simply not true. I'm still in disbelief that there's no outrage about anti-Catholic bigotry until someone of greater import than myself officially declares it an "outrage" - like an insipid Grammy number very few people saw - and if Whitney Houston hadn't died, would anybody have even known the Grammys were on? I don't think so. I just don't understand the apparent selectivity as to which anti-Catholic offenses rise to the level of outrage and which are ignored: I really wish I knew the rationale.
Old Feb 22, '12, 4:46 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

My husband and I love SNL. At the moment, the funniest cast in years is featured each week. Bill Hader is amazing, as is Andy Samburg and Jason Sedakis. We don't care much for Kristin Whig.

We have watched the show faithfully for at least 20 years. Before then, we didn't watch it. In spite of all the sighs and longing for the early days of the show, my husband and I (we were college kids and dating at the time) felt that the early days glorified drugs, and so we didn't watch much of it.

And when our children were small, we didn't watch much of it. This was in the pre-VCR days, which hasn't been that long ago, and the last thing we wanted to do when we had small children was lose sleep watching TV.

But once VCR technology came around, we started taping the show and watching it after our children were in bed.

I'm going into this much detali so that it is obvious that my husband and I watch the show faithfully, not just once in a while when we know who the guest host is.

We have found over the years that SNL consistently present THE MOST CONSERVATIVE world-view of any television.

We have also seen that SNL is the ONLY show that consistently recognizes, in a respectful way, the major Christian holidays (Christmas and Easter) as CHRISTIAN holidays. Often the show will present skits in which Jesus is prominent, and in a respectful way.

Other shows, with only a few exceptions, utterly ignore religion and Christianity, and never mention Jesus. (The exceptions are Family Matters (the one with Steve Urkel), The Simpsons, and The Unit.)

I agree with others that SNL is a satire show, and is not likely to come under criticism by Catholic League because 1) they are supposed to make fun of things and 2) they make up for any insults to the Catholic Church by being the SOLE SHOW to present respectful skits about Jesus and Christianity.

We need to be careful not to attack our "friends." This show has consistently kept Christianity alive to 14-year olds. Let's not leap on them because of one mess-up in a skit.

I wish I had the time to do a study of SNL's "religious skits" over the years. I think people would be shocked at just how respectful the show is.
Old Feb 22, '12, 4:53 am

Red face Re: why no outrage about anti-Catholic SNL Weekend Update??

Well said, Cat.

OP, I maintain that the skit did not make fun of the Church really but rather the sad reality that very few Catholics follow the Church's teachings on birth control.
Old Feb 22, '12, 10:48 am

Religion: catholic

What Cat said...and they make fun of everyone even Obama. It's not worth time and energy to be so upset. I am sure you have better things to think about.
Old Feb 22, '12, 12:37 pm
Banned

Religion: Quaker

I've thouroughly enjoyed this thread.....what about Steven Cobert and his skits on the Catholic church, Rick Santorum and the Pope? Any outrage for those?
Old Feb 22, '12, 12:42 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
I would have to go with this and the fact that people who do watch generally are willing to laugh at themselves. Nobody goes to SNL to get their religious direction anyway, so I don't really see it as high concern. Remember their character Father Guido Sarduchi from many, many years ago?
Old Feb 22, '12, 12:44 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publisher View Post
I've thouroughly enjoyed this thread.....what about Steven Cobert and his skits on the Catholic church, Rick Santorum and the Pope? Any outrage for those?
Did you see the Colbert skit where he talked about Romney and compared Mormonism (and their new add campaign) to Catholocism. Absolutely classic!
Old Feb 22, '12, 12:54 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder257 View Post
Did you see the Colbert skit where he talked about Romney and compared Mormonism (and their new add campaign) to Catholocism. Absolutely classic!
Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert are some of my favorite comedians. I'll have to look up the skit you mention...I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Both of them make me laugh as they poke fun at both those on the "right" and those on the "left."

I just thought it interesting no one seems to have issue with Cobert....because he's Catholic I guess....even though his satire is IMO more "biting" and "outrageously" "anti-Catholic" than any of the SNL skits I've watched on TV or YouTube.....just find the selective "outrage" somewhat..."interesting".
Old Feb 22, '12, 1:07 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publisher View Post
Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert are some of my favorite comedians. I'll have to look up the skit you mention...I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Both of them make me laugh as they poke fun at both those on the "right" and those on the "left."

I just thought it interesting no one seems to have issue with Cobert....because he's Catholic I guess....even though his satire is IMO more "biting" and "outrageously" "anti-Catholic" than any of the SNL skits I've watched on TV or YouTube.....just find the selective "outrage" somewhat..."interesting".
This one was pretty clever. Let me know what you think about it. I watch it with a Mormon friend of mine and we both laughed equally as hard.
Old Feb 22, '12, 1:12 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder257 View Post
This one was pretty clever. Let me know what you think about it. I watch it with a Mormon friend of mine and we both laughed equally as hard.
If it was the one where the bee keeper....surfer id'd themselves as Mormon...then the "skate boarding, guitar playing, tiger slapping Catholic"....yeah...they were funny.

One of Steven's interview of an author about religion in America had him compare a Quaker meeting with a ride on a NY bus....everyone just sat in silence.....he is funny and so often "right on" target...same with Jon Stewart....both are funny guys....I like their humor.
Old Feb 22, '12, 1:22 pm

Quote:
I don't know about the average viewer.

What I do know is that it is usually not funny and just comes across as more progressive trash. Even when it isn't progressive, the jokes and skits aren't funny. My family and friends are funnier than SNL. It pretty much died decades ago.
Old Feb 22, '12, 4:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
We have found over the years that SNL consistently present THE MOST CONSERVATIVE world-view of any television.

We have also seen that SNL is the ONLY show that consistently recognizes, in a respectful way, the major Christian holidays (Christmas and Easter) as CHRISTIAN holidays. Often the show will present skits in which Jesus is prominent, and in a respectful way.
Agreed. And former SNL'ers include folks like Dennis Miller and Victoria Jackson, both of whom are frequent guests on FoxNews (from what I've heard, anyway), not to mention Frank Sinatra satirist Joe Piscopo who routinely does fund-raising for GOP candidates. And let's not forget Catholic-raised Chris Farley and the van down by the river.

And respectful recognition of Jewish holidays, too. Adam Sandler's "Hanukkah Song" used to be the only "secular" Hanukkah song. Mercifully, that's no longer the case.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media