Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 20, '12, 9:23 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic 100%
Question Requiem Mass or Celebration of Life

I was recently told by a friend that when her mother died about a month ago her father called the local Catholic Church, where my friend had gone to grade school and the family were parishioners, to arrange a Celebration of Life service. The priest told him "you shouldn't do that". and he was very vague about what he should do. They did not know this particular pastor. They ended up having a celebration of life at a Presbyterian church. This saddened me a great deal.

What is correct here? Does the Church allow celebrations of life in the church building? I know about 4 years ago a local Catholic parish provided a Celebration of Life for a friend's son. It was not a Mass, but was in the church. There was a slide show of the person's life together with songs that he liked, and testimonials from his friends.

If the Catholic Church does not allow Celebrations of Life in the church building my solution would be to arrange for a Catholic requiem mass (Mass of Christian Burial), and then have a celebration of life gathering afterwards at another location. Or better yet, have the celebration of life first and then the Requiem Mass at the church before the burial..
Old Feb 20, '12, 9:57 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite
Default Re: Requiem Mass or Celebration of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anndh View Post
I was recently told by a friend that when her mother died about a month ago her father called the local Catholic Church, where my friend had gone to grade school and the family were parishioners, to arrange a Celebration of Life service. The priest told him "you shouldn't do that". and he was very vague about what he should do. They did not know this particular pastor. They ended up having a celebration of life at a Presbyterian church. This saddened me a great deal.

What is correct here? Does the Church allow celebrations of life in the church building? I know about 4 years ago a local Catholic parish provided a Celebration of Life for a friend's son. It was not a Mass, but was in the church. There was a slide show of the person's life together with songs that he liked, and testimonials from his friends.

If the Catholic Church does not allow Celebrations of Life in the church building my solution would be to arrange for a Catholic requiem mass (Mass of Christian Burial), and then have a celebration of life gathering afterwards at another location. Or better yet, have the celebration of life first and then the Requiem Mass at the church before the burial..
I would think that the wake/visitation would be an appropriate time for a "celebration of life service". The Church provides a funeral Mass as an appropriate expression of prayer for the deceased. It is highly appropriate for all deceased Catholics to have a funeral Mass.

A forum for Discerning the Priesthood is now open!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology