Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #16  
Old Feb 22, '12, 12:02 am
Sacred_Heart Sacred_Heart is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 17, 2011
Posts: 408
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora123 View Post
Alright, now let's take the dying part out of it.

When we ask for forgiveness through prayer, does God forgive us then? Or are we not truly forgiven until we go to confession?
God hears your prayers. Why would you question him on hearing your repentance? Think logic and reason. If I can speak my repentance from the heart to God then what is the use of Confession? My point is God hears you when you pray and he accepts your repentance when you say it. You're absolved from your sin the moment you repent from your heart not the moment you go to Confession. God is a God of Truth not a God of ritual.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Feb 22, '12, 12:21 am
Sacred_Heart Sacred_Heart is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: December 17, 2011
Posts: 408
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post
Church teaching is that perfect contrition, the kind that obtains forgiveness of mortal sin, includes a resolution to go to confession. So if you have mortal sin on your soul and just say 'God, I'm sorry' and nothing more, that isn't good enough, at least not for a Catholic. You have to combine that sorrow with the determination to confess yor sin.

Remember the Prodigal Son did not just feel sorrow for what he had done and tell God that he was sorry, he resolved to go home and in effect confess to his father as well as amending his life and making things right as much as he could - ie do everything that confession involves.
When one repents one divulges a part of the innermost soul--that is alot more than just saying God, I'm sorry. When one truly repents they atone that portion of themselves that reflected sin. It is not because they go to confession that this occurs, it is because they repented in the first place. It is repentance that acts not confession. God gave man the power to repent through his own admission; and by man's own admission he gains forgiveness. He need not go through a ritual but only needs to speak from his heart. God forgives a man through his heart not a confessional.

(Prodigal Son) According to the Church only the priesthood has power to forgive sins--that is a falsehood. Jesus gave power to mankind to forgive and retain sins; otherwise what would the shedding of his blood accomplish if only a select few had that power. The blood that was shed so that sins may be forgiven? Of course then again the unrighteous do not understand the truth.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Feb 22, '12, 1:28 am
divinefaith's Avatar
divinefaith divinefaith is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 27, 2011
Posts: 618
Religion: Catholic on a journey
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacred_Heart View Post
When one repents one divulges a part of the innermost soul--that is alot more than just saying God, I'm sorry. When one truly repents they atone that portion of themselves that reflected sin. It is not because they go to confession that this occurs, it is because they repented in the first place. It is repentance that acts not confession. God gave man the power to repent through his own admission; and by man's own admission he gains forgiveness. He need not go through a ritual but only needs to speak from his heart. God forgives a man through his heart not a confessional.

(Prodigal Son) According to the Church only the priesthood has power to forgive sins--that is a falsehood. Jesus gave power to mankind to forgive and retain sins; otherwise what would the shedding of his blood accomplish if only a select few had that power. The blood that was shed so that sins may be forgiven? Of course then again the unrighteous do not understand the truth.
I understand your but here's a question: What if man refuses to forgive your sins?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Feb 22, '12, 3:44 am
LilyM's Avatar
LilyM LilyM is offline
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: February 1, 2006
Posts: 33,202
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinefaith View Post
I understand your but here's a question: What if man refuses to forgive your sins?
Here's another: what does Pentecost have to do with the power to forgive - which was given to the twelve alone, not all disciples, and given on an entirely separate occasion from Pentecost?
__________________

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!


God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Feb 22, '12, 4:57 am
divinefaith's Avatar
divinefaith divinefaith is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 27, 2011
Posts: 618
Religion: Catholic on a journey
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

As a general answer to OP, I would understand that Confession is needed for true forgiveness but we don't know when God's mercy flows within us once we approach him with repentance. I cant imagine saying a sorry prayer to God and having him say ' I won't show you mercy yet'.
My view isn't based on any Church teaching but it's my perception. I don't think we can understand the accurate process of forgiveness.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Feb 22, '12, 12:13 pm
Joan M Joan M is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 2, 2004
Posts: 1,253
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora123 View Post
If a person is truly sorry for something she has done and prays to God to forgive her but then dies before going to confession, is that sin forgiven just as much as it would have been if she had made it to confession?

If the answer is yes, then is confession truly necessary for forgiveness? Or is it something we do so that we can be strengthened, encouraged, and hopefully receive some good advise from the priest (apart from also being forgiven)?

Yes, confession is truly necessary. Why? Because it was Jesus himself who instituted the sacrament. We are required to go to confession. Of course, we should pray for God's forgiveness when we are aware that we have sinned, but we MUST go to confession. Why do you question God?
__________________
Peace and Love
Joan M.


It's not enough to be good; you need to show it. What would you say of a rose bush which produced only thorns?#735, Furrow - St. Josemaria Escriva
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Feb 22, '12, 12:15 pm
raaucoin raaucoin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2009
Posts: 480
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

You know Debora, When I was thinking I needed confession because I wanted to return to the Church, I realized something- my sins were not only sins against God but against His people the Church. I was reminded of Jesus telling Peter/ the apostles " whose sins you forgive are forgiven...or retained. And I knew I didn't only need God's forgiveness I also needed ya'll to forgive me too!!. You were out of town that day so I stopped off at Church and Father forgave me in Jesus' name and that of the Holy Church!

Joking aside, I really wanted to be reconciled not only to God but the Church I spent so many years bad-mouthing. I know God forgave me before I ever confessed - my relationship with Him told me that. But it would have been a bit presumptuous to assume the rest of ya'll did.For that matter, even though I am blessedly assured of God's Mercy, it would be wrong for me to assume He know's I'm sorry and the grace He offers is automatic ( in case other than sudden death) . For me that is a dangerous territory of pride and arrogance. And being absolved by someone ordained to do that on behalf of God and Church is assurance that I don't fall into that. So for me Confession is absolutely necessary.-- peace, rhonda
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Feb 22, '12, 12:30 pm
steve b steve b is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 27, 2004
Posts: 7,850
Religion: Cradle Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora123 View Post

If a person is truly sorry for something she has done and prays to God to forgive her but then dies before going to confession, is that sin forgiven just as much as it would have been if she had made it to confession?

If the answer is yes, then is confession truly necessary for forgiveness? Or is it something we do so that we can be strengthened, encouraged, and hopefully receive some good advise from the priest (apart from also being forgiven)?
The issue is over the gravity of the sin. That's why John makes the following distinction

1 Jn 5:
16 If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God * will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

iow, prayer for forgiveness of venial sin is okay. But John doesn't say that's okay for mortal sin. In fact he says it's not recommended.


That's why the Church teaches

1457 According to the Church's command, "after having attained the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound by an obligation faithfully to confess serious sins at least once a year." Anyone who is aware of having committed a mortal sin must not receive Holy Communion, even if he experiences deep contrition, without having first received sacramental absolution, unless he has a grave reason for receiving Communion and there is no possibility of going to confession. Children must go to the sacrament of Penance before receiving Holy Communion for the first time.
__________________
To doubt is the greatest insult to the Divinity.[St Padre Pio]
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Feb 22, '12, 12:57 pm
Debora123 Debora123 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: October 22, 2010
Posts: 7,734
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan M View Post
Yes, confession is truly necessary. Why? Because it was Jesus himself who instituted the sacrament. We are required to go to confession. Of course, we should pray for God's forgiveness when we are aware that we have sinned, but we MUST go to confession. Why do you question God?


Good grief, I wasn't "questioning God..."

I was asking what the Church teaching was in regards to this issue. I was asking because I didn't know the answer.

The answers I've gotten here have ranged everywhere from "God forgives you as soon as you are remorseful" to "God won't forgive you until you go to confession."

With that being said, I still don't know the answer. I will talk about it with my priest. Thank you all for the responses!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Feb 22, '12, 1:16 pm
Cristiano Cristiano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 6, 2006
Posts: 7,041
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora123 View Post


Good grief, I wasn't "questioning God..."

I was asking what the Church teaching was in regards to this issue. I was asking because I didn't know the answer.

The answers I've gotten here have ranged everywhere from "God forgives you as soon as you are remorseful" to "God won't forgive you until you go to confession."

With that being said, I still don't know the answer. I will talk about it with my priest. Thank you all for the responses!
I think that you keep forgetting about the reconciliation with the Church. raaucoin made a very good point about it and she reminded us that God's does not want a personal relationship, He wants a communion of saints and that is why we need to be reconciled with Him and with the Church.
__________________
"Domine, ad quem ibimus? Verba vitae aeternae habes. Et nos credimus, et cognovimus, quia tu es Christus Filius Dei."
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Feb 22, '12, 1:18 pm
Bookcat Bookcat is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: January 14, 2009
Posts: 19,190
Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora123 View Post
The answers I've gotten here have ranged everywhere from "God forgives you as soon as you are remorseful" to "God won't forgive you until you go to confession."
One can be forgiven of venial sins anytime via prayer etc etc....mortal sins are possible to be forgiven prior to confession via the grace of perfect contrition which includes amendment and the intention to confess as soon as possible.

Can God give them the grace they need even in the last moments of life? Yes it is possible.

But while we are to have confidence ..hope...we are to avoid presumption too.

Jesus tells us the parables of the Good Shepherd and the lost coin and the Prod. Son...and he also tells us to repent...and the parable of the man who builds the tower thinking he has all his life to use his stored grain (his soul is demanded of him that night!)....as well as to "watch" for we do not know the last hour...or his coming.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church


Contrition

1451 Among the penitent's acts contrition occupies first place. Contrition is "sorrow of the soul and detestation for the sin committed, together with the resolution not to sin again."50

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called "perfect" (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.51

1453 The contrition called "imperfect" (or "attrition") is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin's ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.52

-----

Venial sins can be forgiven in many ways...contrition...prayer etc etc
__________________
VIVAS IN DEO
IHCOY XPICTOY
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Feb 22, '12, 1:46 pm
AnneTeresa's Avatar
AnneTeresa AnneTeresa is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 9, 2010
Posts: 962
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

I asked a priest this question and he said (paraphrased cause I don't remember the exact words), "you may be forgiven (without confession) but with confession you absolutely KNOW (have assurance) you are forgiven."
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Feb 22, '12, 2:18 pm
divinefaith's Avatar
divinefaith divinefaith is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 27, 2011
Posts: 618
Religion: Catholic on a journey
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora123 View Post


Good grief, I wasn't "questioning God..."

I was asking what the Church teaching was in regards to this issue. I was asking because I didn't know the answer.

The answers I've gotten here have ranged everywhere from "God forgives you as soon as you are remorseful" to "God won't forgive you until you go to confession."

With that being said, I still don't know the answer. I will talk about it with my priest. Thank you all for the responses!
Maybe it's something we can't find out. but yes your priest will definitely know more than us lay people.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Feb 22, '12, 2:23 pm
Bookcat Bookcat is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: January 14, 2009
Posts: 19,190
Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinefaith View Post
Maybe it's something we can't find out.
As to "if" the person was forgiven prior to confession---right.

But not as to if a person can be forgiven prior to confession--that we certainly can know: http://forums.catholic.com/showpost....6&postcount=26
__________________
VIVAS IN DEO
IHCOY XPICTOY
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Feb 22, '12, 4:14 pm
Debora123 Debora123 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: October 22, 2010
Posts: 7,734
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinefaith View Post
Maybe it's something we can't find out. but yes your priest will definitely know more than us lay people.
I will post the answer here once I have asked my priest.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8547Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Eungang
5207CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: hopeful01
4434Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3871SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3844Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3407Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3302Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3231Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3155For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Paulette60



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:24 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.