Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #31  
Old Feb 22, '12, 11:49 pm
divinefaith's Avatar
divinefaith divinefaith is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 26, 2011
Posts: 613
Religion: Catholic on a journey
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora123 View Post
I will post the answer here once I have asked my priest.
That would be great
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Feb 23, '12, 12:30 am
GraceDK GraceDK is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: December 6, 2006
Posts: 3,520
Religion: Catholic Christian
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookcat View Post
See the quote from the CCC above.
I did.. in fact here it is again:

Among the penitent's acts contrition occupies first place. Contrition is "sorrow of the soul and detestation for the sin committed, together with the resolution not to sin again."50

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called "perfect" (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.51

So see, the quote actually agrees with me.
That forgiveness can and does happen prior to conefession in the private conversation between contrite soul and God. Of course it is like this. I would say; somethings we should know instinctly if we know Jesus personally.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Feb 23, '12, 7:37 am
Bookcat Bookcat is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: January 14, 2009
Posts: 17,658
Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceDK View Post
I did.. in fact here it is again:

Among the penitent's acts contrition occupies first place. Contrition is "sorrow of the soul and detestation for the sin committed, together with the resolution not to sin again."50

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called "perfect" (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.51

So see, the quote actually agrees with me.
That forgiveness can and does happen prior to conefession in the private conversation between contrite soul and God. Of course it is like this. I would say; somethings we should know instinctly if we know Jesus personally.
yes of course if one has the grace of perfect contrition as described.
__________________
VIVAS IN DEO
IHCOY XPICTOY
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Feb 24, '12, 1:47 am
thomasf thomasf is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 21, 2007
Posts: 1,862
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

First of all, is confession necessary? YES! It's a sacrament! They aren't optional.

It's one of the means of obtaining God's grace and building our faith. When we are in the state of mortal sin, we have fallen out of God's grace. HE has given us this sacrament as a means to obtain those graces directly. Why on earth would you want to roll the dice and hope that your sin is forgiven by confessing in private through prayer, when you can take part in the sacrament and KNOW that you are forgiven and know that you are receiving His grace? That's like being deathly ill, being given a cure by a doctor, and tossing it out because you think your body can handle it. Why not get the cure? Sacramental confession, absolution, and the grace received through that sacrament is a cure for being in mortal sin.

I don't understand people's reluctance to go to confession. It's an amazing gift from God.

And frankly, any 'catholic' that would assert that it's not necessary and that you don't have to take part in the sacrament does not know their faith.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Feb 24, '12, 3:24 pm
Gordon Sims's Avatar
Gordon Sims Gordon Sims is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 23, 2009
Posts: 2,193
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasf View Post
I don't understand people's reluctance to go to confession. It's an amazing gift from God.

And frankly, any 'catholic' that would assert that it's not necessary and that you don't have to take part in the sacrament does not know their faith.
Since re-embracing my faith a few years ago, this is a notion I've struggled with as well. Confession leaves me with this wonderful, "clean slate" feeling. I don't see why someone would want to try to find loopholes to avoid it. Even though the CCC says an Act of Perfect Contrition may leave you in a state of grace (that's assuming you did it with the proper mindset and that you can somehow determine God's will in the matter after the fact), you can rest assured that going to Confession will leave you in a state of grace. I'd think that even that little bit of uncertainty would be enough to convince someone of the need for Confession.
__________________
"How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many donuts."
--Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Feb 24, '12, 3:36 pm
Debora123 Debora123 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: October 22, 2010
Posts: 7,734
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasf View Post
First of all, is confession necessary? YES! It's a sacrament! They aren't optional.

It's one of the means of obtaining God's grace and building our faith. When we are in the state of mortal sin, we have fallen out of God's grace. HE has given us this sacrament as a means to obtain those graces directly. Why on earth would you want to roll the dice and hope that your sin is forgiven by confessing in private through prayer, when you can take part in the sacrament and KNOW that you are forgiven and know that you are receiving His grace? That's like being deathly ill, being given a cure by a doctor, and tossing it out because you think your body can handle it. Why not get the cure? Sacramental confession, absolution, and the grace received through that sacrament is a cure for being in mortal sin.

I don't understand people's reluctance to go to confession. It's an amazing gift from God.

And frankly, any 'catholic' that would assert that it's not necessary and that you don't have to take part in the sacrament does not know their faith.
I guess I didn't word it very accurately in the title. Of course, I know that as a sacrament, it is absolutely necessary. My question was whether or not a person needs to go to confession in order to be forgiven by God. I've gotten a couple different answers, some of which conflict with each other... so I plan to ask my priest for clarity.

Thank you for the input.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Feb 24, '12, 3:37 pm
Debora123 Debora123 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: October 22, 2010
Posts: 7,734
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Sims View Post
Since re-embracing my faith a few years ago, this is a notion I've struggled with as well. Confession leaves me with this wonderful, "clean slate" feeling. I don't see why someone would want to try to find loopholes to avoid it. Even though the CCC says an Act of Perfect Contrition may leave you in a state of grace (that's assuming you did it with the proper mindset and that you can somehow determine God's will in the matter after the fact), you can rest assured that going to Confession will leave you in a state of grace. I'd think that even that little bit of uncertainty would be enough to convince someone of the need for Confession.
I don't think anyone is trying to find "loopholes" to avoid it... I think we, as Catholics, all appreciate the feeling we get from going to confession. I can't imagine anyone wouldn't.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Feb 24, '12, 3:45 pm
KCT KCT is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 5, 2004
Posts: 5,966
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Get this CD. It's amazing and explains confession very well.

http://www.lighthousecatholicmedia.o...-of-confession
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Feb 24, '12, 6:33 pm
Bookcat Bookcat is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: January 14, 2009
Posts: 17,658
Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

The Catechism of the Catholic Church[/b]

Contrition

1451 Among the penitent's acts contrition occupies first place. Contrition is "sorrow of the soul and detestation for the sin committed, together with the resolution not to sin again."50

1452 When it arises from a love [/color][color="Red"]by which God is loved above all else, [color="Red"]contrition is called "perfect" (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.51

1453 The contrition called "imperfect" (or "attrition") is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin's ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.52

-----

Venial sins can be forgiven in many ways...contrition...prayer etc etc
__________________
VIVAS IN DEO
IHCOY XPICTOY

Last edited by Bookcat; Feb 24, '12 at 6:52 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Feb 24, '12, 6:46 pm
thomasf thomasf is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 21, 2007
Posts: 1,862
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora123 View Post
I don't think anyone is trying to find "loopholes" to avoid it... I think we, as Catholics, all appreciate the feeling we get from going to confession. I can't imagine anyone wouldn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora123 View Post
Alright, now let's take the dying part out of it.

When we ask for forgiveness through prayer, does God forgive us then? Or are we not truly forgiven until we go to confession?
There's a lot more to it than a 'feeling'. There's absolution and the graces that come from the sacrament. If you want a technical answer to your question, you'll probably find a conditional yes. If you want the same things you get from confession without going to confession, you're not going to find it. Why roll the dice when you can get the assurance of confession? God forgives, that much is certain. But the stain of sin and the loss of grace, which affect your immortal soul, remains.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Feb 24, '12, 6:58 pm
Bookcat Bookcat is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: January 14, 2009
Posts: 17,658
Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora123 View Post
Alright, now let's take the dying part out of it.

When we ask for forgiveness through prayer, does God forgive us then? Or are we not truly forgiven until we go to confession?
In terms of venial sins -- yes prayer is one of the many ways such can be forgiven (they are recommended to be confessed but can be forgiven in many ways).

In terms of mortal sin-yes if one repents of all ones mortal sins (which includes the resolution to not sin mortally again) and one has the grace of perfect contrition. One can be forgiven prior even to confession.

As the Catechism of the Catholic Church notes:

"When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called "perfect" (contrition of charity)... it ...obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible."



If one has imperfect contrition...forgiveness does yet not occur until confession and absolution. (see CCC).
__________________
VIVAS IN DEO
IHCOY XPICTOY
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Mar 1, '12, 3:53 pm
PaulLS PaulLS is offline
Observing Member
 
Join Date: April 13, 2009
Posts: 4
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

thomasf and all:
i can tell you my experience, which i still don't understand, going on three years "since my last confession" -- in the end i was not absolved. The sins my conscience accused me of i confessed. The priest asked me questions to get to know me, or the context of my sins, i don't know. In any case it ended with a "blessing" not an absolution. No penance prescribed, other than a vague 'continue your spiritual journey' or something to that effect. That was on a Good Friday. On Easter i got in line for communion, bowed my head and crossed my arms. The priest blessed me, but it was almost as if i could feel his sadness, or worse, that he was wondering what devil he had before him. (that's probably a projection). Since i didn't know what to do to 'correct' my situation in "confession" i eventually rebelled, and when hearing "Lord I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed" i took that to apply to me, and went to communion anyway. But of that -- my conscience accused me. So i fell away entirely from the body, and, go figure, sins increased. Now i'm driven to go back, but am confused. Should i locate that same priest? Part of me doesn't think that's necessary for the sacrament. He's a priest, not my personal therapist. But then part of thinks that if i don't find him i'll always question whether i 'cheated' and just went for a 'loophole.' No doubt my legalistic thinking got me in some trouble -- i probably seemed to cynical. But is that unforgivable? i'm a sinner; but i'd rather be a saint. Do i not understand the sacrament correctly? Probably not, since i only know how to sin and can't 'confess' correctly, and so am damned to Hell.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Mar 1, '12, 9:21 pm
thomasf thomasf is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 21, 2007
Posts: 1,862
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulLS View Post
thomasf and all:
i can tell you my experience, which i still don't understand, going on three years "since my last confession" -- in the end i was not absolved. The sins my conscience accused me of i confessed. The priest asked me questions to get to know me, or the context of my sins, i don't know. In any case it ended with a "blessing" not an absolution. No penance prescribed, other than a vague 'continue your spiritual journey' or something to that effect. That was on a Good Friday. On Easter i got in line for communion, bowed my head and crossed my arms. The priest blessed me, but it was almost as if i could feel his sadness, or worse, that he was wondering what devil he had before him. (that's probably a projection). Since i didn't know what to do to 'correct' my situation in "confession" i eventually rebelled, and when hearing "Lord I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed" i took that to apply to me, and went to communion anyway. But of that -- my conscience accused me. So i fell away entirely from the body, and, go figure, sins increased. Now i'm driven to go back, but am confused. Should i locate that same priest? Part of me doesn't think that's necessary for the sacrament. He's a priest, not my personal therapist. But then part of thinks that if i don't find him i'll always question whether i 'cheated' and just went for a 'loophole.' No doubt my legalistic thinking got me in some trouble -- i probably seemed to cynical. But is that unforgivable? i'm a sinner; but i'd rather be a saint. Do i not understand the sacrament correctly? Probably not, since i only know how to sin and can't 'confess' correctly, and so am damned to Hell.
I don't think you do understand confession correctly. If you confess your sins, and are a catholic in good standing with the church, you should get absolution. Once you are absolved, you are absolved. That's it, the sins are gone, and grace is bestowed. You shouldn't feel guilty about it or continue to feel the burden of those sins. IMO you should talk to a priest about what it means to confess and tell him of your feelings after confession.

Jesus told St Faustina, the saint who Jesus brought the divine mercy to, that it hurts Him more that people don't believe in His mercy and the power of confession. You must trust in God and have faith in Him. Once your sins are absolved leave them behind you, don't hold on to them. Jesus' mercy is as vast as the oceans of the world, and all the sins by all the people in the world only makes a drop in that sea of mercy.

You should look into the divine mercy revelations as well. They are very enlightening and it's a wonderful devotion.

http://www.divinemercy.org/introduction.html
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Mar 2, '12, 5:22 am
PaulLS PaulLS is offline
Observing Member
 
Join Date: April 13, 2009
Posts: 4
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

No, i was not absolved, my sins were retained.
yet i do believe in Divine Mercy ...
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Mar 2, '12, 1:06 pm
PaulLS PaulLS is offline
Observing Member
 
Join Date: April 13, 2009
Posts: 4
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is confession necessary?

Thank you Bookcat for clarifying my situation in your private messages. Prayers for all.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8036Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: georget
4826CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4292Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: FootStool
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3812SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3372Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3184Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: libralion
3148Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
2962For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: SERVENT FOR GOD
2696Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:44 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.