Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 21, '12, 2:24 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: In North Carolina, gay man fired for marrying partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
It is a good thing that he was fired. But what perplexes me is why did this Catholic church hire someone who was an Episcopalian as their music director? I am not saying it was wrong of them to do so but it seems that they would have wanted to hire a Catholic instead.
When there is need for a professional-level director, it is prudent to include non-Catholics in the search. As long as they understand they can neither contradict doctrine nor cause scandal it should be okay. It's not like they were an EMHC, after all.
Old Feb 21, '12, 2:53 pm

Quote:
But what perplexes me is why did this Catholic church hire someone who was an Episcopalian as their music director? I am not saying it was wrong of them to do so but it seems that they would have wanted to hire a Catholic instead.
Not enough to go around...
Old Feb 21, '12, 4:04 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_me640 View Post
In the US churches can discriminate on the basis of sexuality or any behaviors in opposition the the particular church's teachings.
In North Carolina, any employer can fire someone for being gay (or for being straight.). Sexual orientation is not a protected class under the state's anti-discrimination law.
Old Feb 21, '12, 5:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
Exactly!!! Why parishes put themselves in these positions at all is beyond me.

Yeah - in Canada you just get fired for TALKING about marriage being between a man and a woman!! read more here

~Liza
This is not true. You cannot get fired for simply talking about it unless you are inappropriate in what you say...like calling them "homos" or something like that.

This man was an anchor and his views (tweeted, not stated) were bad for his role as a media expert. This is entirely different and his opinion became a conflict of interest.

Canada is a wonderful liberal country where we have a lot of employment protection.

Old Feb 21, '12, 7:48 pm
Account Under Review

Religion: Baptized and confirmed Easter Vigil, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serap View Post
Canada is a wonderful liberal country where we have a lot of employment protection.
"Wonderful" and "liberal" in the same sentence? Without an ounce of irony? Your nation subsidizes with taxpayer dollars the ritual slaughter of infants and celebration of sodomy. It's a sinkhole and its sins cry out to Heaven for vengeance. (Just like my own country, the flagship nation for the apostate spirit of the present age.)
Old Feb 21, '12, 8:59 pm

Quote:
It is a good thing that he was fired. But what perplexes me is why did this Catholic church hire someone who was an Episcopalian as their music director? I am not saying it was wrong of them to do so but it seems that they would have wanted to hire a Catholic instead.
North Carolina is mission territory. Only 3% of the population are Catholics.
Old Feb 22, '12, 1:54 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, latin rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_me640 View Post
My only gripe is that it appears he was openly practicing homosexuality from the beginning, his partner was always around and everyone knew, but it was ok until they got "married". The behavior was equally sinful before the "marriage", so why was it only frowned on after they legally sealed it?
Exactly. I guess this is what happens when people turn a blind eye to immorality in their midst. They should have never hired him in the first place.
Old Feb 22, '12, 4:28 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
This is not true. You cannot get fired for simply talking about it unless you are inappropriate in what you say...like calling them "homos" or something like that.

This man was an anchor and his views (tweeted, not stated) were bad for his role as a media expert. This is entirely different and his opinion became a conflict of interest.

I happen to know Damian personally, and I sat in the same room with him when he told me what actually did happen, very shortly after the event. He was not in any way inappropriate, did not call anyone names. He tweeted on his own personal time, from his personal computer, in defense of a professional athlete. So, following your line of thinking, his employer obviously feels it is "bad for his role as a media expert" to support marriage between a man and a woman.

He is going to mediation for this wrongful dismissal case, and I pray this comes out in favor of all Canadians to be free to speak their beliefs and not lose their livelihood as a result. Hopefully that employment protection you speak of, will actually protect him when he needs it.

~Liza
Old Feb 22, '12, 5:44 am

Quote:
I happen to know Damian personally, and I sat in the same room with him when he told me what actually did happen, very shortly after the event. He was not in any way inappropriate, did not call anyone names. He tweeted on his own personal time, from his personal computer, in defense of a professional athlete. So, following your line of thinking, his employer obviously feels it is "bad for his role as a media expert" to support marriage between a man and a woman.

He is going to mediation for this wrongful dismissal case, and I pray this comes out in favor of all Canadians to be free to speak their beliefs and not lose their livelihood as a result. Hopefully that employment protection you speak of, will actually protect him when he needs it.

~Liza
I have to admit that Canada's opinion is beginning to go in favor of homosexual marriage and when media reporting celebrities speak out about it, they can get in hot water b/c then "equality groups" cry foul and the corporations and government responds harshly in favor of the "equality groups".

I think the pendilum does need to swing back to the middle. I will agree to that.

In Canada, I would not get fired for tweeting that I am against homosexual marriage b/c my job is not a "media" job and I am not a media reporting celebrity. I hope this makes sense and helps others see that Canada is not as bad as perhaps you are painting it to be.

I have to admit that I do take offense when people paint Canada to be a bad country b/c I love my country just like you love your country, so let's please try to respect eachother

Old Feb 22, '12, 5:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contra Mundum View Post
Exactly. I guess this is what happens when people turn a blind eye to immorality in their midst. They should have never hired him in the first place.
this is exactly my view also

Old Feb 22, '12, 5:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw85 View Post
"Wonderful" and "liberal" in the same sentence? Without an ounce of irony? Your nation subsidizes with taxpayer dollars the ritual slaughter of infants and celebration of sodomy. It's a sinkhole and its sins cry out to Heaven for vengeance. (Just like my own country, the flagship nation for the apostate spirit of the present age.)
Please maintain respect and charity when you insult someone's country.

Old Feb 22, '12, 5:51 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have to admit that Canada's opinion is beginning to go in favor of homosexual marriage and when media reporting celebrities speak out about it, they can get in hot water b/c then "equality groups" cry foul and the corporations and government responds harshly in favor of the "equality groups".

I think the pendilum does need to swing back to the middle. I will agree to that.

In Canada, I would not get fired for tweeting that I am against homosexual marriage b/c my job is not a "media" job and I am not a media reporting celebrity. I hope this makes sense and helps others see that Canada is not as bad as perhaps you are painting it to be.

I have to admit that I do take offense when people paint Canada to be a bad country b/c I love my country just like you love your country, so let's please try to respect eachother
Where did I ever "paint" Canada as anything? Touchy much? My own country has so many issues and problems, and is so completely messed up, and I'll be the first one to point out every one of those issues. Does not mean I don't "love"my country, and does not mean I'm "painting" it as anything. It simply means I'm speaking truthfully about the situation. That's all. There is zero lack of respect here - not sure why you feel there is, when all I'm doing is stating the facts of one specific case. (And...did you not see the winky face after my comment? My gosh, it was not a personal attack against you, or your country. )

~Liza
Old Feb 22, '12, 5:53 am

Quote:
Where did I ever "paint" Canada as anything? Touchy much? My own country has so many issues and problems, and is so completely messed up, and I'll be the first one to point out every one of those issues. Does not mean I don't "love"my country, and does not mean I'm "painting" it as anything. It simply means I'm speaking truthfully about the situation. That's all. There is zero lack of respect here - not sure why you feel there is, when all I'm doing is stating the facts of one specific case. (And...did you not see the winky face after my comment? My gosh, it was not a personal attack against you, or your country. )

~Liza
I don't understand why you are being so uncharitable towards me? I am going out of my way to be respectful to you. Please tone it down as we have to maintain respect towards one another as per rules of CAF.

Old Feb 22, '12, 6:06 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't understand why you are being so uncharitable towards me? I am going out of my way to be respectful to you. Please tone it down as we have to maintain respect towards one another as per rules of CAF.
Show me where there is a lack of charity - please!!! I have not been disrespectful toward you, in any way. I have not violated any rules. If I have - SHOW me. There is nothing to "tone down", all I have done is state the facts. Since when is the truth uncharitable?

~Liza
Old Feb 22, '12, 7:22 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:

I think it is hard for Americans to grasp how much more restricted Free Speech is in Canada than it is in the US.

Miguel Agustin Pro

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News