Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 21, '12, 7:39 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ash Wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlysrose View Post
We receive ashes, not the bread of life.
I'm not sure how it works in your parish, but in mine we have ashes and the Eucharist at the Ash Wednesday Mass. I have never been to an Ash Wednesday Mass that didn't have both.
Moved with pity (splagchnizomai), he stretched out his hand and touched him, and said to him, "I will; be clean." (Mk 1:41)
Old Feb 21, '12, 9:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splagchnizomai View Post
Why do you think anyone is denying us the Eucharist on Ash Wednesday?
You still have the Eucharist on Wednesday, just as you have the Eucharist on Monday, and Friday, or anyother day for that matter. Just because a person doesn't see the Eucharist or taste the Eucharist does not me they do have the Eucharist. The whole universe spins like great wheel and the Eucharist is the spoke, like a giant haystack and tiny, impercieveable needle. As long as there is one man who is a priest in the world you will always have the Eucharist. Don't be afraid or lose hope. The devil can't do you any harm unless you intend him to harm you first. In a lonely valley somewhere in Vermont there is a handful of hermits carrying about the business of showering grace upon you. The world goes by and they notice it not. This does not mean that the world doesn't exist. How much more we can say about the Eucharist. A tiny speck or crumb is more God than the world could ever be world.

Oh yes... and if you think that Original Sin is a crooked idea, best examine thyself before admitting yourself to the Eucharist. Swallow your pride before you swallow God.
Old Feb 22, '12, 5:44 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Forget it, it's obvious you haven't before.

Might as well go tomorrow, see for yourself.
Um yeah - every year. And I always receive Holy Communion on Ash Wednesday.

I still have no idea what you are talking about. No one is depriving anyone of anything. If you are being told you can't receive Holy Communion on Ash Wednesday, it must be something unique about the situation at your parish, because that certainly is not the norm.

~Liza
Old Feb 22, '12, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchbeatle View Post
I've never heard of a parish not offering Mass on Ash Wednesday.
There is no host, only ashes.
Old Feb 22, '12, 6:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmytheButcher View Post
Swallow your pride before you swallow God.
I might have a problem with the deadly sin of pride, but that will not stop my prayers throughout the day for the Church, and Satan's invitation into it today.
Old Feb 22, '12, 7:27 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Traditional Catholic

carlysrose, did you get a chance to go today? If there was a Mass, there was also communion. Maybe it was't a Mass, but just the distribution of ashes.
“Catholics who remain faithful to Tradition, even if they are reduced to a handful, are the true Church of Jesus Christ.” St. Athanasius
Old Feb 22, '12, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splagchnizomai View Post
I'm not sure how it works in your parish, but in mine we have ashes and the Eucharist at the Ash Wednesday Mass. I have never been to an Ash Wednesday Mass that didn't have both.
I guess it's not universal then, which is strange, because that's what catholic means.
Old Feb 22, '12, 8:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradcathconvert View Post
carlysrose, did you get a chance to go today? If there was a Mass, there was also communion. Maybe it was't a Mass, but just the distribution of ashes.
There is no communion after ashes. That is supposed to be the point, we are supposed to be in penance, though I disagree with the entire concept entirely. So no, I made a conscious effort not to go.
Old Feb 22, '12, 8:33 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
I guess it's not universal then, which is strange, because that's what catholic means.
The teachings of the Church on faith and morals are universal throughout the Catholic faith. Disciplines such as when to fast, when to kneel, when to stand, when to sing are different according to culture.

This is not a 'strange' thing. It's a human thing. The Church is, after all, both divine and human. Just as Christ was.
Old Feb 22, '12, 8:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybr38 View Post
The teachings of the Church on faith and morals are universal throughout the Catholic faith. Disciplines such as when to fast, when to kneel, when to stand, when to sing are different according to culture.

This is not a 'strange' thing. It's a human thing. The Church is, after all, both divine and human. Just as Christ was.
How can the Mass not be the exact same. I thought one of the points was to be able to go to Mass anywhere in the world and participate. Maybe it's not in English, but the sacrifice should be the same.
Old Feb 22, '12, 8:40 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
How can the Mass not be the exact same. I thought one of the points was to be able to go to Mass anywhere in the world and participate. Maybe it's not in English, but the sacrifice should be the same.
The words that are said are the same. The actions that accompany the words can vary. So? So I knelt at this part in this parish but this other parish stands... does it matter in the end? So long as our hearts are raised to God and our words are the same we are still in union.

Either way, if you are so concerned about your parish not offering the Eucharist on Ash Wednesday (mine does offer Him, by the way) then perhaps you should speak to your priest instead of making assumptions on your own. He can explain it to you and help you to understand.
Old Feb 22, '12, 8:40 am

Quote:
You still have the Eucharist on Wednesday, just as you have the Eucharist on Monday, and Friday, or anyother day for that matter. Just because a person doesn't see the Eucharist or taste the Eucharist does not me they do have the Eucharist. The whole universe spins like great wheel and the Eucharist is the spoke, like a giant haystack and tiny, impercieveable needle. As long as there is one man who is a priest in the world you will always have the Eucharist. Don't be afraid or lose hope. The devil can't do you any harm unless you intend him to harm you first. In a lonely valley somewhere in Vermont there is a handful of hermits carrying about the business of showering grace upon you. The world goes by and they notice it not. This does not mean that the world doesn't exist. How much more we can say about the Eucharist. A tiny speck or crumb is more God than the world could ever be world.
That's wonderful and exquisite. Have you read Pierre Teilhard de Chardin?

Quote:
Oh yes... and if you think that Original Sin is a crooked idea, best examine thyself before admitting yourself to the Eucharist. Swallow your pride before you swallow God.
I thank you for the admonition, for as a sinner I know that I need constant correction and repentance. Please note that I do not think that Original Sin is a crooked idea.

Quote:
I think you are equivocating here. Catholic does mean "universal," but you are using the term in such a narrow way that it ceases to be universal.

I don't know what the situation is in your parish, but you seem to be upset by it. Prayers for you and your parish.
Moved with pity (splagchnizomai), he stretched out his hand and touched him, and said to him, "I will; be clean." (Mk 1:41)
Old Feb 22, '12, 8:42 am

Distribution of the Ashes has nothing to do with Mass. One is a sacramental and the other is a liturgy. Saying that the two must be together is like saying that you must have a Mass every time that you are going to pray the rosary.

Quite a few parishes have the regularly scheduled daily mass and then they add extra services that are the Liturgy of the Word together with the distribution of the ashes. I think that you are quite confused in your understanding of the Mass and of the use of sacramentals.
Old Feb 22, '12, 8:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybr38 View Post
perhaps you should speak to your priest instead of making assumptions on your own. He can explain it to you and help you to understand.
We don't have communion! Is that an assumption?

I have been disappointed with my parish, yes, but my priest is so good, we learnt the new missal months before any parish in the US (from what I have understood being in forums). I had it memorized before it was even introduced to others.
Old Feb 22, '12, 8:48 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
We don't have communion! Is that an assumption?

I have been disappointed with my parish, yes, but my priest is so good, we learnt the new missal months before any parish in the US (from what I have understood being in forums). I had it memorized before it was even introduced to others.
Good for you. Talk to your priest.

I think it's clear you are misunderstanding something here, so speak to him so he can help you. There isn't anything we can do for you as we aren't part of your parish.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy