Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 21, '12, 3:35 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Why not pray the Rosary and Divine Mercy Chaplet every day this Lent?

You know, I had an idea for everyone. Why doesn't everyone choose to start praying one Rosary and one Divine Mercy Chaplet every day for Lent? You can have your intention as whatever you want it to be.

The Rosary would be a great devotion to start this Lent. It is a great way to honor the Blessed Mother and I am sure that God loves us it when we honor His Mother in this way. Besides, it brings us many graces. Indeed, there are 15 promises that Our Lady gives to those who pray the Rosary. Here they are. I have copied and pasted them from another site:

1. To all those who shall pray my Rosary devoutly, I promise my special protection and great graces.
  2. Those who shall persevere in the recitation of my Rosary will receive some special grace.
  3. The Rosary will be a very powerful armor against hell; it will destroy vice, deliver from sin and dispel heresy.
  4. The rosary will make virtue and good works flourish, and will obtain for souls the most abundant divine mercies. It will draw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
  5. Those who trust themselves to me through the Rosary will not perish.
  6. Whoever recites my Rosary devoutly reflecting on the mysteries, shall never be overwhelmed by misfortune. He will not experience the anger of God nor will he perish by an unprovided death. The sinner will be converted; the just will persevere in grace and merit eternal life.
  7. Those truly devoted to my Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
  8. Those who are faithful to recite my Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces and will share in the merits of the blessed.
  9. I will deliver promptly from purgatory souls devoted to my Rosary.
  10. True children of my Rosary will enjoy great glory in heaven.
  11. What you shall ask through my Rosary you shall obtain.
  12. To those who propagate my Rosary I promise aid in all their necessities.
  13. I have obtained from my Son that all the members of the Rosary Confraternity shall have as their intercessors, in life and in death, the entire celestial court.
  14. Those who recite my Rosary faithfully are my beloved children, the brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ.
  15. Devotion to my Rosary is a special sign of predestination.
SOURCE: http://www.rosary-center.org/conprom.htm

So as you can see, the Rosary is truly a great devotion. It is a great way to gain ground in your spiritual life.

As for the Divine Mercy Chaplet, if you pray it during the Hour of Great Mercy which is 3 PM to 4 PM Jesus has promised that whatever we ask of Him He will grant it provided it is His holy will. This is a great time to pray for the conversion of your friends and family if they are not already Catholic. Here is more information:

http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/hour.htm

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Feb 21, '12, 5:33 pm

Religion: Catholic, Secular Franciscan Order
Default Re: Why not pray the Rosary and Divine Mercy Chaplet every day this Lent?

That's a very good idea, Esp. with intentions for the poor and homeless.
Old Feb 21, '12, 6:36 pm

Default Re: Why not pray the Rosary and Divine Mercy Chaplet every day this Lent?

That's a great idea, but let me give you a friendly warning, you may get hooked on it. Back in 2006 I decided to do something different for Lent. I decided to say a daily rosary. I got a rosary CD from the Mary Foundation to help me. When Lent ended I was so used to saying a daily rosary I kept on saying it. And I have not missed a day since. In fact some days I say many rosaries. I also discovered the Divine Mercy Chaplet around that time too and I say it everyday also.

I don't need to use a rosary CD now (even though I have many) because the rosary and chaplet are such a part of my life now I can't imagine going a day without saying it.

I am amazed at how the rosary and chaplet have dramatically improved my spiritual life. I used to think I was a very good Catholic but realize now that I was only lukewarm at best. Best thing I have ever done.
Old Feb 21, '12, 6:40 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Definitely an excellent idea!

Old Feb 21, '12, 6:40 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS59 View Post
That's a great idea, but let me give you a friendly warning, you may get hooked on it. Back in 2006 I decided to do something different for Lent. I decided to say a daily rosary. I got a rosary CD from the Mary Foundation to help me. When Lent ended I was so used to saying a daily rosary I kept on saying it. And I have not missed a day since. In fact some days I say many rosaries. I also discovered the Divine Mercy Chaplet around that time too and I say it everyday also.

I don't need to use a rosary CD now (even though I have many) because the rosary and chaplet are such a part of my life now I can't imagine going a day without saying it.

I am amazed at how the rosary and chaplet have dramatically improved my spiritual life. I used to think I was a very good Catholic but realize now that I was only lukewarm at best. Best thing I have ever done.
There is nothing wrong with getting hooked on the Rosary and the Divine Mercy Chaplet. They are very good devotions and if by praying it every day during Lent one becomes hooked on it and wants to pray it every day for the rest of their life then that is great!

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality