Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 21, '12, 5:55 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default What are the views of the Holy Orthodox Church on RCC approved Marian Apparitions?

I know the Orthodox Church has a great devotion to Mary and was just wondering what the views are on apparitions such as Lourdes...Fatima...Locke...etc. Since these have been approved as worthy of belief by the Catholic Church does the Orthodox Church lend them any credence. If not then why not? I do not want to start any kind of battle between our two churches if the answer is no...I'm just curious.
Old Feb 23, '12, 6:04 am
Banned

Religion: Salesian-Teresian Roman (With a dash of Ignatian)
Default Re: What are the views of the Holy Orthodox Church on RCC approved Marian Apparitions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoglover1956 View Post
I know the Orthodox Church has a great devotion to Mary and was just wondering what the views are on apparitions such as Lourdes...Fatima...Locke...etc. Since these have been approved as worthy of belief by the Catholic Church does the Orthodox Church lend them any credence. If not then why not? I do not want to start any kind of battle between our two churches if the answer is no...I'm just curious.
I promised to keep away from threads threatening to detonate potential bombs between the Orthodox and Catholics...... it seems I was not the only one!

ZERO respondents in 37 hours and 230 lurkers? Wow!!! Methinks Lent is doing some good to many CAF members!
Old Feb 23, '12, 6:33 am
Banned

Religion: Olde fashioned Christian
Smile Re: What are the views of the Holy Orthodox Church on RCC approved Marian Apparitions?

Quote:
Just a quick reply.

The Roman Catholic church is not orthodox, therefore any approvals the Vatican might give to anything have no authority.

Traditionally the Orthodox take a dim view of speaking apparitions and messages from beyond, and I personally feel the same way. This would most especially be the case for something that erupts from outside the church.
Old Feb 23, '12, 7:12 am
Banned

Default Re: What are the views of the Holy Orthodox Church on RCC approved Marian Apparitions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Just a quick reply.

The Roman Catholic church is not orthodox, therefore any approvals the Vatican might give to anything have no authority.

Traditionally the Orthodox take a dim view of speaking apparitions and messages from beyond, and I personally feel the same way. This would most especially be the case for something that erupts from outside the church.
Thank you! That's all I was looking for.

God bless.

Mods may feel free to close the thread if they wish. My intent was never to start a war.
Old Feb 23, '12, 8:48 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marybeloved View Post
I promised to keep away from threads threatening to detonate potential bombs between the Orthodox and Catholics...... it seems I was not the only one!

ZERO respondents in 37 hours and 230 lurkers? Wow!!! Methinks Lent is doing some good to many CAF members!
After receiving a pm from the OP, I feel the need to clarify this post of mine.

@OP
I never intended to imply that you were intentionally setting up a war. The intention is never there, in such threads, in my experience. But if you read such threads on this forum in the recent past, that's where it generally leads. I didn't mean to make "hits" at you or this thread or this topic- far from it. That's just the nature of Orthodox-Catholic dialogues on internet forums, in my (short) experience and believe me I really thought I was making light of the whole thing. I only meant that many people who have gotten embroiled in them in the past (like me) out of no such intention, must have chosen to avoid it for the very reasons you mentioned in your message to me. It's nothing at all to do with you personally, or even this thread in particular. I'm really sorry you were offended and I state here, for the avoidance of doubt, that I do NOT believe that you were doing anything here but posing a sincere question.

Peace.
Old Feb 23, '12, 8:50 am
Banned

Quote:
Aftera pm, I feel the need to clarify this post of mine.

@OP
I never intended to imply that you were intentionally setting up a war. The intention is never there, in such threads, in my experience. But if you read such threads on this forum in the recent past, that's where it generally leads. I didn't mean to make "hits" at you or this thread or this topic- far from it. That's just the nature of Orthodox-Catholic dialogues on internet forums, in my (short) experience and believe me I really thought I was making light of it. I only meant that many people who have gotten embroiled in them in the past (like me) out of no such intention, must have chosen to avoid it for the very reasons you mentioned in your message to me. It's nothing at all to do with you personally, or even this thread inparticular. I'm really sorry you got offended and I state here, for the avoidance of doubt, that I do NOT believe that you were doing anything here but posing a sincere question.

Peace.
Dear Mary...I was not offended. I feared that my thread was offensive to you!
Old Feb 23, '12, 9:03 am
Banned

Quote:
Dear Mary...I was not offended. I feared that my thread was offensive to you!
Not at all! Man, I seriously need to work on my joking-on-line skills...
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:20 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I am finishing work with a devout Greek Orthodox family, and was very impressed with their church calendar of having Wednesdays and Fridays as days of fasting. I wish our former disicplines would return....meatless Friday's...and may be we have more fasting.

Christ said to do penance for the remission of our sins, or we likewise will perish.

The West is not the East.

The family and I see the theological differences, and frankly, we see them as more cultural than theological.

It is good not to follow apparitions.

But I did go to Fatima, because I was in Portugal to learn the language and then go overseas. My roommate lived near Leiria and the family wanted me to go to there.

Mary appeared at Fatima right before the Bolshevik revolutoin, May 13. That is the same day the Holy Father John Paul II was almost assassinated in 1982.

Mary told the children to pray the rosary every day,to pray for the conversion of Russia who would spread many errors in the world....errors that we can see today in American politics and class warfare, to do penance, to know that most people go to hell for the sins of the flesh than any other, to spend time before the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. She warned that if people did not listen to her request, there would be a second war, worse that would be proceeded by a strange light in the sky.

Days before the Nazi invasion of Poland, an aurora borealis appeared over Europe. Communism was at work liquidating millions of its own people.

At the end of WWII, 7 or 8 German Jesuits had survived the atomic bomb in Japan. Over 200 scientists through the years examined them, and they had no trace of radiation. The two atomic bombs came between the Transfiguration of Our Lord to the Assumption of Mary, her glorious assumption into heaven.

It is said the devout Catholic Japanese who died by the bomb, were likewise gloriously taken to the Lord, so faithful for hundreds of years to the Catholic faith. They went underground for 200 years. They had a prophecy that they could finally come out when...a Catholic Church was built that had the name of Mary...the priest was celibate...this a Latin rite discipline...and that the church would be faithful to Rome. A few came to St. Marys to a Catholic priest faithful to Rome 200 years later.

The Latin rite Church was founded by St. Peter. St. Paul died in Rome. The Catholic faith is apostolic. The Orthodox Church is founded by 11 of the 12 apostles. St. Peter had previously stayed in Rome.

The Roman Catholic Church is not heretical but founded by Jesus Christ through the primacy of Peter. The Latin and Orthodox were one.

When I was coming into the Greek home a few nights later, I asked the woman I was replacing her take of the home, with all the icons of Theotokos, of Christ, and others of saints. Her simple reply was that she was a Christian and these people were Mary worshppers..

I said I was a Christian, a Catholic, we were like Orthodox and we have had these kinds of practices for 2000 years.

I am going to begin to renew Our Lady of F atima's later requestion....that the First Five Saturday's be consecutively attended at Mass as reparation to all that is false towards Mary.
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:26 am

I cant speak for the EO churches, but from what I know about the EO churches, they are not opposed to Apparitions.

They recognize the communion of the Saints, and the Mystical body of Christ, and from what I have read, they have had Apparitions recognized.

I don't know if they are like the Catholic Apparitions, in the manner of being a non-required belief that the individual can hold, or not. Someone from the EO church would have to shed some light on that.

Here are a few, I got off an EO forum

- The visitation of the Mother of God with St John the Evangelist and Apostle Peter to St Sergius of Radonezh and his disciple Micah.

- The appearance of the Mother of God to St Dimitri Donskoy. The event is recorded in the icon of the Mother of God Bogolyubskaya.

- The appearance of the Mother of God at the church at Blachernae - the origin of the feast of the Holy Protection of the Mother of God.

- The appearance of Christ and the Virgin to the fathers of the First Ecumenical Council, which led to the restoration of St Nicholas of Myra as bishop, after he had been ejected from the council and stripped of his episcopal rank for assaulting Arius.

The Apparition of The Theotokos, St John and others to St. Seraphim of Sarov

Last edited by onemangang; Feb 23, '12 at 10:28 am. Reason: type o
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:41 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thanks, OneManGang....for input...yes, I thought the Orthodox had their approved apparitions and it was said that Mary began to make her presence known to the Church 200 years after her death...dormition....assumption.
Old Feb 24, '12, 6:23 am
Banned

Religion: The Holy Orthodox Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Just a quick reply.

Agreed.
Old Feb 24, '12, 8:29 am
Banned

Religion: Considering Catholicism and Orthodoxy

How does one know who appeared to them? The devil and his angels appeared in all forms and sizes to St. Anthony the Desert Father, so one needs to be very very careful with apparitions.

Old Feb 24, '12, 8:32 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo ergo sum View Post
How does one know who appeared to them? The devil and his angels appeared in all forms and sizes to St. Anthony the Desert Father, so one needs to be very very careful with apparitions.

Yes...but in apparitions like Fatima...Mary has lead people to her Son. I guess it comes down to the fruits they bear. The Medjugorie apparitions are clearly not of heaven and that's why priests are forbidden to have parish pilgrimages there.
Old Feb 24, '12, 8:37 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo ergo sum View Post

That's why submission to rightful authority (Your priest and most importantly, your Bishop) and spiritual direction is so important. We can never trust ourselves and our judgement in this regard because the Devil always inspires spiritual pride to make us believe that we have been highly and especially favoured and so embrace the super-natural phenomenon (or trap) blindly.
Old Feb 24, '12, 8:40 am
Banned

Quote:
That's why submission to rightful authority (Your priest and most importantly, your Bishop) and spiritual direction is so important. We can never trust ourselves and our judgement in this regard because the Devil always inspires spiritual pride to make us believe that we have been highly and especially favoured and so embrace the super-natural phenomenon (or trap) blindly.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions