Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 21, '12, 6:48 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default I want to be healed of my disorders

Hey everyone. I am wanting to be healed of three things: my Fibromyalgia, my Borderline Personality Disorder, and my Major Depression. I don't know if it is God's will for me to be healed or not though. But if it is, what can I do to be healed? Can I go to Healing Masses, Charismatic Masses, Charismatic Prayer Groups, and such things like that? Would you suggest?

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Feb 21, '12, 7:29 pm

Default Re: I want to be healed of my disorders

While you should not neglect the spiritual warfare involved, the healing of physical and psychological conditions is usually treated by physicians and psychologists. Have you pursued those avenues, like DBT and medications, that are available? If so, there are some spiritual practices that might dovetail with them to help you to understand God and be at peace. What have you found to be the most beneficial? That will be a starting point for understanding how you naturally connect to God.

For example, if you do well with mindfulness exercises, lectio divina might be helpful. If you do well with behavioral work, service might be better suited.
St. Sophia Ukrainian Catholic Church in The Colony, TX (near DFW)
Old Feb 21, '12, 8:25 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I would suggest praying to St. Dymphna and St. Philomena. They are both very powerful virgin maryters. St. Dymphna is the patron saint of mental and nervous disorders and St. Philomena intercedes for any good cause and her intercession is proven to be particularly powerful. In fact, she became a saint solely for her great intercession.

Also, as Betty Brennan put it "Every Mass is a healing Mass...Every Eucharist is a healing Eucharist." If you feel called by God to go to a healing Mass, by all means go to one. As Betty also said, the healing ministry has it's place so if you feel called by God to go to a healing Mass or some such thing than by all means go. (If you don't know about Betty, you might want to look her up, especially if you like conversion stories. Her's was the most poweful conversion story I had ever heard of.)

"The Eucharist is the supreme proof of the Love of Jesus. After this, there is nothing more but Heaven."--St. Peter Julian Eymard

Last edited by ChibiViolet; Feb 21, '12 at 8:36 pm.
Old Feb 21, '12, 10:41 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB1718 View Post
While you should not neglect the spiritual warfare involved, the healing of physical and psychological conditions is usually treated by physicians and psychologists. Have you pursued those avenues, like DBT and medications, that are available? If so, there are some spiritual practices that might dovetail with them to help you to understand God and be at peace. What have you found to be the most beneficial? That will be a starting point for understanding how you naturally connect to God.

For example, if you do well with mindfulness exercises, lectio divina might be helpful. If you do well with behavioral work, service might be better suited.
I have tried medication and therapy but they aren't helping enough. They do help but not quite enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiViolet View Post
I would suggest praying to St. Dymphna and St. Philomena. They are both very powerful virgin maryters. St. Dymphna is the patron saint of mental and nervous disorders and St. Philomena intercedes for any good cause and her intercession is proven to be particularly powerful. In fact, she became a saint solely for her great intercession.

Also, as Betty Brennan put it "Every Mass is a healing Mass...Every Eucharist is a healing Eucharist." If you feel called by God to go to a healing Mass, by all means go to one. As Betty also said, the healing ministry has it's place so if you feel called by God to go to a healing Mass or some such thing than by all means go. (If you don't know about Betty, you might want to look her up, especially if you like conversion stories. Her's was the most poweful conversion story I had ever heard of.)
Yes, I already pray to Saint Dymphna but not so much to Saint Philomena.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

--Saint Dominic

--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Feb 21, '12, 11:04 pm

Divine Mercy Sunday..

I want to be healed of all of my past...I thunk that this would be a great day of healing infirmities too..

which is why I am approaching the Lord in this day of mercy
Old Feb 21, '12, 11:41 pm

Srry for the mistakes I was writing in a tablet...

What I meant was that Divine Mercy Sunday promises to be a day of spiritual and physical healing.. It is supposed to be that one day where the Lord's mercy is in full swing and many graces nd healings occur that day.
Old Feb 22, '12, 1:48 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilsheep88 View Post
Divine Mercy Sunday..

I want to be healed of all of my past...I thunk that this would be a great day of healing infirmities too..

which is why I am approaching the Lord in this day of mercy
Thanks Lilsheep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilsheep88 View Post
Srry for the mistakes I was writing in a tablet...

What I meant was that Divine Mercy Sunday promises to be a day of spiritual and physical healing.. It is supposed to be that one day where the Lord's mercy is in full swing and many graces nd healings occur that day.
Thanks again Lilsheep and don't worry about your spelling or grammar or anything. That said, I did not know that Divine Mercy Sunday is supposed to be a day where spiritual and physical healing occur.

--St. Josemaria Escriva

--Saint Dominic

--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Feb 22, '12, 8:00 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Hey everyone. I am wanting to be healed of three things: my Fibromyalgia, my Borderline Personality Disorder, and my Major Depression. I don't know if it is God's will for me to be healed or not though. But if it is, what can I do to be healed? Can I go to Healing Masses, Charismatic Masses, Charismatic Prayer Groups, and such things like that? Would you suggest?
You might think about a pilgrimage to Lourdes. I see them advertised in the paper once in a while, that is if you can afford it. Those coming back are always helped one way or another.

Just a thought and I will pray for you.
Old Feb 22, '12, 9:17 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
I'm sorry you're suffering with these things. I'll pray for you.

Edit: Taking your medicine and prayer and playing with your cats might be helpful. Sorry I don't know which of the things you mention would be most effective. Some people have the gift of healing so maybe you could seek them out with Charismatic prayer groups.
Old Feb 22, '12, 10:12 am
Banned
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita

Quote:
... my Borderline Personality Disorder, and my Major Depression...
I can't say anything about the fybromyalgia but I have plenty to say about healing mental disorders. I had a severe case of BP (at least that's my label we used for SS Disability hearings) with onset in 2001. Luckily, a month after the onset, I met for the first time with a spiritual director, and that put me on the path to healing that finally is being made total now just in these past few weeks. It doesn't have to take that long, but I'm lucky because technically I'm "totally and permanently disabled," but now I'm also healed. Not "under control," or "symptom-free," but healed.

We have to be a bit careful about giving psychiatric advice on these fora because of liability issues for CAF, but I can say some generic things. If you want to go more into detail, feel free to PM me and we will find a place to discuss it where liability won't be a problem.

First, about the onset and how my SD (first time I'd ever met with one) got me started on the road to sanity. The first thing that I struck me after I was involuntarily, anonymously, and without being given reason, "captured" and locked in a psychiatric ward, was how crazy the "doctors" and the staff were. The could "observe" but they didn't know how to "listen." Especially the third-rate interns they had working there -- they'd ask stupid questions like "why are you here," and when I said, "I don't know. Nobody will tell me why I'm here or on whose orders," they wrote "refused to answer" on their sheet and increased my medication.

So my first question to my SD a month after that was, "why are they so crazy? Why can't they understand anything I say, including the answers to their own questions?"

Father Pecht smiled and paused, then said, "the problem is that the experts are too specialized. A human being has six components: physical, mental, spiritual, emotional, sexual (tied most closely to self identity), and social. Experts are only trained in one or two of these areas, so whatever is wrong with you, they look at you from their own narrow perspective and try to treat you as if it were all about whatever they are expert in."

That's how my healing started; at least it made sense then. Through a great deal of prayer, especially contemplative prayer, other spiritual exercises, use of many resources both Catholic and non-Catholic, finding a good psychiatrist who didn't assume everything like the lousy interns, and much, much love and patience from my wife and six kids, etc. etc. now I am healed.

Quote:
I have tried medication and therapy but they aren't helping enough. They do help but not quite enough.
They can be useful and even life-saving, but medicine has its limitations in the area of mental illness. The medicine helps with the symptoms, but the healing comes from God, at His schedule and manner, depending in part on how open you can make yourself to His healing touch by the Holy Spirit, aka the Divine Therapist.

My psychiatrist looks at medicine like a cast on a leg. The cast does not heal the leg, but it holds things in place so the leg can undergo its own healing process (from God). So when I am manic, I tend to lose sleep which is unhealthy in itself plus worsens the mania, so he gives me tranquilizers or whatever so I can sleep, and maybe anti-psychotics to help with the delusions. When I am depressed, he gives me antidepressants which help me not be quite so miserable and vegetative, but again it's treating the symptoms and not healing at the root like what God can do.

I could write books on all of this, and I am lucky to be one of the very few I know of who was as sick as I was and am no longer. My pastor and my doctor are both ecstatic about my progress and I'm on very low amount of medication now.

Alan
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:13 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred conty View Post
You might think about a pilgrimage to Lourdes. I see them advertised in the paper once in a while, that is if you can afford it. Those coming back are always helped one way or another.

Just a thought and I will pray for you.
I would love to make a pilgrimage to Lourdes. I wanted to do this with my SSI back pay but my Grandma did not want me to go so I couldn't go. I doubt I will ever have the money to go in the future so I will probably never be able to go.

--St. Josemaria Escriva

--Saint Dominic

--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:54 am

Quote:
I would love to make a pilgrimage to Lourdes. I wanted to do this with my SSI back pay but my Grandma did not want me to go so I couldn't go. I doubt I will ever have the money to go in the future so I will probably never be able to go.
Holly, see if there is a local Knights of Malta group in your area; their members make a yearly trip to Lourdes and sponsor "malades" whom they attend to on the pilgrimage.

"I am a daughter of the Church." St. Teresa of Jesus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Magister adest et vocat te.
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:03 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEGM View Post
Holly, see if there is a local Knights of Malta group in your area; their members make a yearly trip to Lourdes and sponsor "malades" whom they attend to on the pilgrimage.
So you mean I could get a free tip to Lourdes if I find a local Knights of Malta group?

--St. Josemaria Escriva

--Saint Dominic

--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Feb 24, '12, 8:06 am

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that but I certainly understand. I myself have never been there but I've always wanted to go there. Maybe someday we both will make it.
Old Feb 24, '12, 8:42 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred conty View Post
I'm sorry to hear that but I certainly understand. I myself have never been there but I've always wanted to go there. Maybe someday we both will make it.
Yeah maybe. I have also always wanted to go there ever since I learned about Lourdes.

--St. Josemaria Escriva

--Saint Dominic

--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality