Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 21, '12, 11:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic for centuries
Default "Idolatry" keeping wife away from Church

My wife says that "idolatry" is the main reason she's walking away from the Church, because now that she's had a personal encounter with Jesus Christ, she wants to follow Him completely.

She says that the Bible clearly states that God is against idolatry. She sees having images of saints and Mary, praying to them, as idolatry.

She knows that officially the Church teaches that we shouldn't pray to the saints nor Mary, but to ask for their intersession. But in practice we have seen many (Mexican) Catholics praying to the saints (especially St. Jude) and to Our Lady of Guadalupe for miracles, for protection, for anything, except for intersession.

I want to remain in the Church, but she's having so much trouble right now accepting devotion to the saints and Mary. She says she respects them, and although we never, as a family, pray to them, she says she can't be part of a church that allows that, albeit unofficially.

She told me today that, since I'm the husband, that she will accept my decision, and will follow me. But I know she's not being sincere. I see how she's struggling with this.

Any advice?
Thanks!
En Cristo,
Pablo
Old Feb 22, '12, 12:44 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: "Idolatry" keeping wife away from Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloSD View Post
My wife says that "idolatry" is the main reason she's walking away from the Church, because now that she's had a personal encounter with Jesus Christ, she wants to follow Him completely.

She says that the Bible clearly states that God is against idolatry. She sees having images of saints and Mary, praying to them, as idolatry.

She knows that officially the Church teaches that we shouldn't pray to the saints nor Mary, but to ask for their intersession. But in practice we have seen many (Mexican) Catholics praying to the saints (especially St. Jude) and to Our Lady of Guadalupe for miracles, for protection, for anything, except for intersession.

I want to remain in the Church, but she's having so much trouble right now accepting devotion to the saints and Mary. She says she respects them, and although we never, as a family, pray to them, she says she can't be part of a church that allows that, albeit unofficially.

She told me today that, since I'm the husband, that she will accept my decision, and will follow me. But I know she's not being sincere. I see how she's struggling with this.

Any advice?
Thanks!
En Cristo,
Pablo

Now, look, if your father dies, will you speak to him?
I speak !!!!!!!!!!!!! If I spoke with him alive here on Earth, I can speak with him in Heaven.
Now, if you can speak to your late father, why cant you speak to the Saints and Mary.
Please tell your wife IT IS NOT ADORATION, for adoration is only to God. Recognize someone as the ONLY GOD, THE CREATOR OR HEAVEN AND EARTH IS ONLY TO GOD.
But we can talk to everybody in heaven, and ask them things as I asked my brother for bread when i was a kid....
Old Feb 22, '12, 1:10 am

Post Re: "Idolatry" keeping wife away from Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloSD View Post
Catholics experience equally personal relations with God, I might even argue that in communal worship, Catholics experience higher degrees of communion with God. Catholics believe that God is mystically present during the Mass, unlike the mystical emptiness of Sunday Services in Protestant churches.

Quote:
Ask her if she thinks that hanging pictures of her family on the wall, or having pictures of her family on her desk at work (if she works) is a form of idolatry. I imagine she'll probably respond by saying "no, I don't worship the pictures of my family, or the members of my family in the pictures, I just like to be reminded of the ones I love", to which you should respond "Exactly. We have statues and images of Mary and the saints to honor and remember them."

Quote:
That's not entirely correct. The Church does endorse praying to the saints, insofar as there are chaplets, novenas, and other devotions to Mary and the saints. Indeed Mary has made specific promises (in revelations to seers approved by the Church), to devotees of the Rosary and other Marian devotions.

Praying TO them is the same as asking for their intercession. It's a bit like writing a letter to someone asking them speak with a third party on your behalf.

Quote:
God always comes before family. The Catholic family should be a microcosm of Holy Family.
Quote:
Was your wife a Protestant convert to Catholicism?
I've made this point before.
Old Feb 23, '12, 4:59 pm

Your wife has no problem with the principle of having statues and pictures, and saints who intercede for us. But she objects to them, because she feels that a lot of other people misuse them. The Church has a practice which she thinks some people misuse, so she feels that the Church is bad.

So... since some people who marry do bad things with marriage, should marriage be outlawed?

Since some people are mean to their kids, should everyone be forbidden to have kids?

If some people are bad drivers, should we destroy all cars with flame and fire?

It's sad that some people aren't well taught, and it's sad that people who are doing nothing wrong are sometimes misunderstood. But we need to be understanding of each other. Sometimes people scandalize themselves, by how they look at something, when really there's nothing bad going on. And yeah, sometimes people really are doing something bad.

If your wife thinks people are treating the saint statues or the saints themselves as idols, she should be talking to the priest about the bad problem with his flock, not leaving.
Old Feb 23, '12, 5:01 pm

Answer

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics