Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 23, '12, 1:10 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I need to show another parish that my marriage is valid/sacramental

Simple answer is have your current pastor write a letter that states you are a Catholic in good standing who has received the sacraments of initition (baptism, eucharist, confirmation), that you are sacramentally married, and that you regularly attend Sunday Mass. Have him sign it and put the parish seal on it.

That should be enough for the church of baptism.
Old Feb 23, '12, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
But surely he will understand since I have only been registered here for 3 months. And for that matter, only been Catholic for 3 months.
That's the advantage of using the budget envelopes. Even if all you do is put a dollar in it, its then recorded that you were at Mass.
Old Feb 23, '12, 1:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I'm so frustrated I feel like I'm going to cry. Even though I left a voicemail on his personal extension about needing to talk to him about getting a sponsor certificate, the administrative assistant lady called me back (different lady than the one I talked to this morning) saying that all Father can do is sign a letter saying I'm a registered parishioner at the parish. I told her, I need something showing I have my sacraments, not a letter that I am registered there. She said they can't do that since I didn't have my sacraments there.

Even when I try to contact the priest directly, someone else calls me back. What am I supposed to do? Barge into his office? I don't even know where it is.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Feb 23, '12, 2:08 pm
Forum Elder

contact the pastor who received you into the Church.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 23, '12, 2:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
contact the pastor who received you into the Church.
That's what I did. I emailed him explaining what was going on.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Feb 23, '12, 4:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
I'm so frustrated I feel like I'm going to cry. Even though I left a voicemail on his personal extension about needing to talk to him about getting a sponsor certificate, the administrative assistant lady called me back (different lady than the one I talked to this morning) saying that all Father can do is sign a letter saying I'm a registered parishioner at the parish. I told her, I need something showing I have my sacraments, not a letter that I am registered there. She said they can't do that since I didn't have my sacraments there.

Even when I try to contact the priest directly, someone else calls me back. What am I supposed to do? Barge into his office? I don't even know where it is.
Try this:

Take what I type at the end here and cut-and-paste it using a word processor. Add the details and print it out.

Take it to your own proper pastor and put it in his hand. In his hand. Do not mail it. Do not put it in his inbox. Do not slide it under his door. Do not give it to the secretary. Do not give it to the administrative assistant. Do not give it to the usher. Do not give it to the altar boy. Do not give it to the guy mowing the lawn. Put it in the hand of your own proper pastor. Put it in his hand.

Do not call on the phone and speak to the secretary or the administrative assistant or anyone else.

See him --your own proper pastor-- after Mass (NOT before) if you need to. Make sure you have a pen handy in case he doesn't have one.

When you do this, say to him in these or similar words:
"Father: I have been asked to be a sponsor for [name and relationship]. Since the baptism is not at this parish, I need to provide a sponsor certificate to the pastor where the baptism is taking place. Yes, it is a Catholic parish, St. so-and-so, you might know it or you might know the pastor there. In any case, would you mind kindly signing this so that I can send it to them? I would really appreciate it. And by the way, if you don't know Father so-and-so at that other parish, would you mind putting the parish seal on this, just to be on the safe side?"

This is how it should read:

This is to certify that
[name]
is a practicing Catholic in good standing at
[parish name] in [insert parish city]
and is qualified to be a sponsor
for the Sacrament of Baptism for
[insert infants name]
at the parish of
[insert baptismal parish]

[insert blank line for signature]
[insert blank line for printed name of priest]
given this [blank} day of [blank] 2012

Once you have it, get that to the pastor of the place of Baptism. Not the parish secretary. Not the lady who answers the phone. Not the usher or the altar boy or the little old lady selling raffle tickets for the quilted pillows. Get it to the pastor of the place where the baptism is going to happen.

Do NOT change the wording as I've typed it here. Do not add lines that say you were baptised on such a date, or when you were confirmed or what your marital status is or anything else. Do it just as written. If you try to add something else other than what I've typed it won't work. Other than filling in the blanks, do not make any changes.

That's about all I can do here on this end.

If you do it that way, it should work out.
If you don't put it in the hand of your own proper pastor, and ask him to sign it, all I can say is that I tried.

I do wish you the best.
I hope this works out for you. Truly I do.
Old Feb 23, '12, 4:43 pm

And after that, call the Diocese and tell them that someone in the parish office needs a bit of training!
Old Feb 24, '12, 10:09 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrDavid96 View Post
Try this:

Take what I type at the end here and cut-and-paste it using a word processor. Add the details and print it out.

Take it to your own proper pastor and put it in his hand. In his hand. Do not mail it. Do not put it in his inbox. Do not slide it under his door. Do not give it to the secretary. Do not give it to the administrative assistant. Do not give it to the usher. Do not give it to the altar boy. Do not give it to the guy mowing the lawn. Put it in the hand of your own proper pastor. Put it in his hand.

Do not call on the phone and speak to the secretary or the administrative assistant or anyone else.

See him --your own proper pastor-- after Mass (NOT before) if you need to. Make sure you have a pen handy in case he doesn't have one.

When you do this, say to him in these or similar words:
"Father: I have been asked to be a sponsor for [name and relationship]. Since the baptism is not at this parish, I need to provide a sponsor certificate to the pastor where the baptism is taking place. Yes, it is a Catholic parish, St. so-and-so, you might know it or you might know the pastor there. In any case, would you mind kindly signing this so that I can send it to them? I would really appreciate it. And by the way, if you don't know Father so-and-so at that other parish, would you mind putting the parish seal on this, just to be on the safe side?"

This is how it should read:

This is to certify that
[name]
is a practicing Catholic in good standing at
[parish name] in [insert parish city]
and is qualified to be a sponsor
for the Sacrament of Baptism for
[insert infants name]
at the parish of
[insert baptismal parish]

[insert blank line for signature]
[insert blank line for printed name of priest]
given this [blank} day of [blank] 2012

Once you have it, get that to the pastor of the place of Baptism. Not the parish secretary. Not the lady who answers the phone. Not the usher or the altar boy or the little old lady selling raffle tickets for the quilted pillows. Get it to the pastor of the place where the baptism is going to happen.

Do NOT change the wording as I've typed it here. Do not add lines that say you were baptised on such a date, or when you were confirmed or what your marital status is or anything else. Do it just as written. If you try to add something else other than what I've typed it won't work. Other than filling in the blanks, do not make any changes.

That's about all I can do here on this end.

If you do it that way, it should work out.
If you don't put it in the hand of your own proper pastor, and ask him to sign it, all I can say is that I tried.

I do wish you the best.
I hope this works out for you. Truly I do.

God bless you, Father.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments