Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 22, '12, 2:01 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Action to be ex-Mormon

My husband and I were previously Mormon, but we're not very active in the church, ever. We are coming into the Catholic Church this Easter!

A week or two ago, I received a phone call from our visiting teacher from the Mormon church. We spoke for a half an hour, about religion. (I was trying to plant a seed in his head ) He asked if I would like to have official excommunication, and I replied that it didn't really matter to me, as I don't hold the Mormon church as 'real', anyway. He said he'd inform the leadership, and told me that they may contact me. I said that I didn't mind.

Today, he called me back, and was not as friendly as the first time. He gave me the name of the bishop of the ward we'd be assigned to, and his home address. He told me we need to write a letter stating that we no longer wish to have communications with the church, and that both my husband and I need to sign it. He said it would be in the best interest of both parties.

Should I do this?

Part of me thinks that it's only costing me time, and a stamp, and it's not a big deal, but then I don't feel it's necessary. Why should I have to put anything in writing and sign it?
Old Feb 22, '12, 2:17 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Action to be ex-Mormon

Since they initiated the contact, and you no longer want to belong, this is the best way to avoid further harassment.
http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm
Some do it, some do not. It seems that you are among those for whom it would be a reasonable choice. Others, who have concerns about family members who are deeply committed, choose to make it a private thing.
Please make the first move, before they try to make a socially stigmatizing move on you. It is an act of dignity, not their act of judgment on you.
Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. Luke 6:28

http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/
Old Feb 22, '12, 2:21 pm

Wow! Thanks for that info!
Old Feb 22, '12, 2:22 pm

YW!
Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. Luke 6:28

http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/
Old Feb 22, '12, 3:01 pm
Banned

Religion: Evangelical Catholic-LCMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerusha View Post
Since they initiated the contact, and you no longer want to belong, this is the best way to avoid further harassment.
http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm
Some do it, some do not. It seems that you are among those for whom it would be a reasonable choice. Others, who have concerns about family members who are deeply committed, choose to make it a private thing.
Please make the first move, before they try to make a socially stigmatizing move on you. It is an act of dignity, not their act of judgment on you.
That's how I did it. The "church" wanted to have a "Bishop's Court" for a formal excommunication, but, I wasnt interested in a kangaroo court.
Old Feb 22, '12, 3:05 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Eastern Orthodox

Welcome to Christianity!

Yes you should sign it.
For them is also a kind of "do you really want to go against Lord's Will? Sign the paper if you dare" .
After you will have signed this paper generally a letter will follow signet by the president of the stake that will worn you that if you will keep on your decision within a month you will be considered out of their register and loose all the benediction that are upon you.
At least this is exatly the letter my wife receive. I don't know if is "standard".

God bless you both
Old Feb 22, '12, 3:51 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belchers1 View Post

Part of me thinks that it's only costing me time, and a stamp, and it's not a big deal, but then I don't feel it's necessary. Why should I have to put anything in writing and sign it?
You don't have to do anything.

You could always include Pillar Of Fire, Pillar Of Truth in your mail, just to make it worth the time and stamp.

Welcome home.
Old Feb 22, '12, 4:03 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
My husband and I were previously Mormon, but we're not very active in the church, ever. We are coming into the Catholic Church this Easter!
Just curious. Were you raised Mormon?
Old Feb 22, '12, 5:40 pm

Religion: lapsed, but seeking Christian

Quote:

A week or two ago, I received a phone call from our visiting teacher from the Mormon church. We spoke for a half an hour, about religion. (I was trying to plant a seed in his head ) He asked if I would like to have official excommunication, and I replied that it didn't really matter to me, as I don't hold the Mormon church as 'real', anyway. He said he'd inform the leadership, and told me that they may contact me. I said that I didn't mind.

Today, he called me back, and was not as friendly as the first time. He gave me the name of the bishop of the ward we'd be assigned to, and his home address. He told me we need to write a letter stating that we no longer wish to have communications with the church, and that both my husband and I need to sign it. He said it would be in the best interest of both parties.

Should I do this?

Do it and get it over with. Might as well.

«...Conoscerete la veritą, e la veritą vi renderą liberi.».
(Giovanni 8:32)

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Old Feb 22, '12, 6:11 pm

Thank you for the feedback!

Kangaroo court! Too funny, Batman!

Rebecca, that is actually a great idea! I just made do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandfather View Post
Just curious. Were you raised Mormon?
I was raised in an inactive Mormon home. My [widowed] mother became inactive when I was around five years old. I lived with an aunt for some time around the age of 10, and was "baptized" in the Mormon church. When I returned to living with my mother, I became inactive again until the age of 15, when their missionaries were going door to door. My husband became Mormon then, and we were married. (Yes, I was 15 years old when I married my then 19 year old husband ) We were active for a year or so after that. It was a blessing that I was not exposed to the teachings of the Mormon religion any more than I was.

Something always felt wrong. I could never figure it out. I was so blind. Thanks be to God that I found TRUTH! I am home! This is it! Praise God!!!

My mother on the other hand, is struggling a little more with giving up and letting go. I think she is convinced of the intellectual aspect of truth in the Catholic Church, however she is still emotionally attached to the Mormon teachings that she was raised in. The brainwashing she received as a child and adolescent has made this a difficult journey for her. It's just going to take her some extra time.
Old Feb 22, '12, 6:25 pm
Forum Supporter

I did that and they held a church court. I did not attend, but got a letter saying I was excommunicated for "conduct unbecoming a member of the LDS Church"
Old Feb 22, '12, 7:25 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanKnight View Post
I did that and they held a church court. I did not attend, but got a letter saying I was excommunicated for "conduct unbecoming a member of the LDS Church"
Converting to Jesus Christ = conduct unbecoming a member of the LDS Church?

Old Feb 23, '12, 4:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaJ View Post
Converting to Jesus Christ = conduct unbecoming a member of the LDS Church?

Right on.

I'll update here in the future.
Old Feb 23, '12, 5:24 am

I've gone through the process 3 times.... and my name is still on the rolls. I figure I've done my part and since my name is there I get visits from the missionaries and I get to tell them my conversion story. It's all good! Welcome home!!!
Steph
Old Feb 24, '12, 10:28 am
Book Club Member

Send a message via Skype™ to PazzoGrande

Quote:

Should I do this?

I don't know about your immediate question, but when you deal with them, it's a good idea to be as respectful to them as possible. So for example instead of saying "I don't believe your religion is real," it might help to say that "I learnt about the Catholic Church and found that it rang true; I thank you for the years that Mormonism welcomed me, but I found Catholicism and I cannot turn away from it" or something like that.

The reason is, because you are becoming a Catholic, in their minds you represent Catholicism. It's just a good idea if you leave a good impression, and who knows, maybe it would spark their conversions to Catholicism as well. Saying that their religion is a sham (even if it is) would give them a bitter taste against Catholics and they'll start biting back.

Welcome to the family!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions