Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 23, '12, 7:42 am

Religion: Christian
Default The Church's teaching on praying to saints and Mary

Violapat is a new member to CAF.

He expresses that he's forgotten much of what the Church teaches on certain practices and beliefs. I hope we can fill him in on all he ask, without confusing or overwhelming him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by violapat View Post
UPDATE! Ok I did it. I went to mass last night early and went to confession. It was a wonderful experience. The priest was so helpful. My catholic Journey has now begun again. Peace Peace. I still have so many questions. I truly don't remember much of the churches teachings. I actually bought a rosary and gonna start using it. My biggest question is about praying to the saints and the virgin Mary. Understand, I attended a pentecostal faith that denounced all those things. Still have a lot of confusion. Can you still be Catholic if you don't agree with everything? If not I have to find a way to reconcile with things that I have been taught in another faith. I do believe in the baptism of hte Holy Spirit. But I don't think that is an erroneous teaching to the church.

My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Old Feb 23, '12, 8:21 am

Default Re: The Church's teaching on praying to saints and Mary

When we ''pray to'' Saints that means we ask them to pray for us just like you would ask another person to pray for you. Its no different really, but the Saints and especially the Blessed Virgin are powerful intercessors with God. God bless.
Old Feb 23, '12, 9:01 am
Banned

Little Hannah

How do we know that? Jesus said the way to the Father is through him.
Old Feb 23, '12, 9:14 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic

I feel that often prayer and adoration get confused. Praying to Saints and the Virgin Mary is just to make a request, we ask them that they ask God for us for whatever it is we are praying. In other words they intercede (mediate) for us. The way I look at it is that it's no different then asking someone else like a friend or family member to pray for us. However, who better to do pray for us than his own mother, or a saint that is already in heaven with him. To go back to adoring, our adorations as a catholic only go to God our Savior.
Old Feb 23, '12, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtosew View Post
Little Hannah

How would this preclude intercesory prayer?
Take this love, therefore, as the end that is set before you, to which you are to refer all that you say, and, whatever you narrate, narrate it in such a manner that he to whom you are discoursing on hearing may believe, on believing may hope, on hoping may love. - St. Augustine
Old Feb 23, '12, 9:33 am
Banned

Its one thing to pray for others on earth and to ask people to pray for you, but I believe my Mother is a Saint, should I pray to her to intercede for me? Who do I know whose in heaven? Becasue the Church says they are a Saint. I imagine most are in heaven, but no one knows for sure, and why not just pray to the Father in Jesus's name, that is what he said to do.
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:08 am

There's no rule against praying directly to God, in fact, Catholics are greatly encouraged to pray directly to God as well as praying to saints( ie making petitions to them) I'm not really sure why you think praying to saints has any more of a problem with respect to God being the source of our salvation than "praying to" our friends and family(ie, asking them to pray for us). The word pray just means to ask originally, so when we pray to the saints we are just asking them to pray to God for us, just like you would ask a living friend. When we use the phrase 'pray to the saints to intercede for us' all we really mean is that we ask them to pray to God for us.
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:09 am

+JMJ+
Quote:
Its one thing to pray for others on earth and to ask people to pray for you, but I believe my Mother is a Saint, should I pray to her to intercede for me? Who do I know whose in heaven? Becasue the Church says they are a Saint. I imagine most are in heaven, but no one knows for sure, and why not just pray to the Father in Jesus's name, that is what he said to do.
Because the Church said it is OK to do so, and it would also be very helpful too.

You see, we are one family, in heaven and on earth, united together, as children of the Father, through Jesus Christ. "For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name" (Ephesians 3:14-15). And as we all know, the family that prays together, stays together.

And besides, Jesus said, "For where there are two or three gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them" (Matthew 18:20). Praying together with the saints means that God is always there with you, even if it seems you are alone.

You are mine, because I am Yours.

Old Feb 23, '12, 10:26 am

Religion: Catholic, leaning towards Traditional

We are not praying to the Saints or our Blessed Mother in order for Them to grant our prayer requests(only God can do that), we are not praying to the Saints and our Blessed Mother so we don't have to pray directly to God, we are JOINING our prayers with the Saints and our Blessed Mother to God.

God is all about Family, and all those in heaven are certainly our family, so it just makes sense to join our prayers with theirs. But there is no hard and fast rule that says we Have To.

Blessed Mother Mary..Pray for me

Saint Joseph...Pray for me

Saint Monica..(my patron Saint)...Pray for me
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:30 am

+JMJ+
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryandJoseph View Post
We are not praying to the Saints or our Blessed Mother in order for Them to grant our prayer requests(only God can do that), we are not praying to the Saints and our Blessed Mother so we don't have to pray directly to God, we are JOINING our prayers with the Saints and our Blessed Mother to God.

God is all about Family, and all those in heaven are certainly our family, so it just makes sense to join our prayers with theirs. But there is no hard and fast rule that says we Have To.

Blessed Mother Mary..Pray for me

Saint Joseph...Pray for me

Saint Monica..(my patron Saint)...Pray for me
Haha, I think we're riding the same boat, MaryandJoseph /points to post above yours/

You are mine, because I am Yours.

Old Feb 23, '12, 10:50 am

Religion: Catholic Since 4/3/10

Quote:
Little Hannah

Rev 5:8 When he took it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each of the elders held a harp and gold bowls filled with incense, which are the prayers of the holy ones.
Old Feb 23, '12, 11:24 am

Quote:
Its one thing to pray for others on earth and to ask people to pray for you, but I believe my Mother is a Saint, should I pray to her to intercede for me?
Of course, why wouldn't you want her too?

Quote:
Who do I know whose in heaven? Becasue the Church says they are a Saint. I imagine most are in heaven, but no one knows for sure, and why not just pray to the Father in Jesus's name, that is what he said to do.
Yes, we only KNOW that certain Saints are in heaven because the Church says they are. We hope that many others, such as your mother have joined them as we hope to also do some day.

So we pray for them and ask them to pray for us just like we do for and with those who have not yet left this earth.

Where did Jesus say "only" pray to the Father in My name?

Do you never offer praise or pettition of The Holy Spirit?

Chuck
Take this love, therefore, as the end that is set before you, to which you are to refer all that you say, and, whatever you narrate, narrate it in such a manner that he to whom you are discoursing on hearing may believe, on believing may hope, on hoping may love. - St. Augustine
Old Feb 23, '12, 11:53 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmowry View Post
Of course, why wouldn't you want her too?

Yes, we only KNOW that certain Saints are in heaven because the Church says they are. We hope that many others, such as your mother have joined them as we hope to also do some day.

So we pray for them and ask them to pray for us just like we do for and with those who have not yet left this earth.

Where did Jesus say "only" pray to the Father in My name?

Do you never offer praise or pettition of The Holy Spirit?

Chuck
I pray to the Father Son and Holy Spirit= God

Saints are on earth, we are saints if we follow Christ. Lets not try and put words into Jesus's mouth or make his say what he didn't.
Old Feb 23, '12, 12:07 pm

Quote:
I pray to the Father Son and Holy Spirit= God
Then we are not to "only" to "pray to the Father in Jesus' name"?

Quote:
Saints are on earth, we are saints if we follow Christ.
Yes, those who "are" part of the body of Christ are Saints. Those who die as part of the Body of Christ remain in Him as Saints in Heaven.

Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing who falls into that category beyond those who have died and been cannonized by the Church.

We can only Hope and Pray that we all do.

Quote:
Lets not try and put words into Jesus's mouth or make his say what he didn't.
Who's putting what words into Jesus' mouth?

Chuck
Old Feb 23, '12, 12:21 pm
Banned

Who did Jesus say to pray to?

You can pray to whomever you wish to, thats up to you. I have read many prayers to the Saints and some of them are more than intercessary prayers.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics