Catholic FAQ


We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Feb 23, '12, 9:20 am
Zundrah's Avatar
Zundrah Zundrah is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 29, 2009
Posts: 5,069
Religion: Christian
Default When can baptism be applied if not when young?

I was thinking about this last night, if we are not suppose to baptize children and babies, then what is the age of consent to baptism?

Also, what gives you this idea?
__________________


My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
  #2  
Old Feb 23, '12, 9:57 am
Nicea325 Nicea325 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 16, 2010
Posts: 7,111
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: When can baptism be applied if not when young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundrah View Post
I was thinking about this last night, if we are not suppose to baptize children and babies, then what is the age of consent to baptism?

Also, what gives you this idea?
Exactly! Many non-Catholics will argue that in the NT adults were only baptized. Well duh! Because the first converts were adults and no cradle Christians had existed yet. Second,no where in the NT is there a case where a young child in the age of consent "decides" to be baptized. On the contrary, it states Paul baptized households. Many will argue the term household does not mention infants,thus it is pure conjecture by Catholics. Well Paul also does not say he did not baptize infants or young children. The burden of proof on those rejecting infant baptism is to provide evidence were Jews did not consider infants as part of a household.
  #3  
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:08 am
anp1215's Avatar
anp1215 anp1215 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 31, 2010
Posts: 3,764
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: When can baptism be applied if not when young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundrah View Post
I was thinking about this last night, if we are not suppose to baptize children and babies, then what is the age of consent to baptism?

Also, what gives you this idea?
Most evangelicals, Baptists, Seventh Day Adventists, Pentecostals, etc. will say they baptize at a sort of "age of reason" (kind of like how Roman Catholics see First Confession and Communion) when the child is old enough to understand what Baptism is and express a desire for it.

For a lot, the age is around 7 or 8. My husband was baptized at 8 in the Southern Baptist Church.
__________________

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
  #4  
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:13 am
Zundrah's Avatar
Zundrah Zundrah is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 29, 2009
Posts: 5,069
Religion: Christian
Default Re: When can baptism be applied if not when young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicea325 View Post
Exactly! Many non-Catholics will argue that in the NT adults were only baptized. Well duh! Because the first converts were adults and no cradle Christians had existed yet. Second,no where in the NT is there a case where a young child in the age of consent "decides" to be baptized. On the contrary, it states Paul baptized households. Many will argue the term household does not mention infants,thus it is pure conjecture by Catholics. Well Paul also does not say he did not baptize infants or young children. The burden of proof on those rejecting infant baptism is to provide evidence were Jews did not consider infants as part of a household.
Nicely put.
__________________


My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
  #5  
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:30 am
Nicea325 Nicea325 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 16, 2010
Posts: 7,111
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: When can baptism be applied if not when young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundrah View Post
Nicely put.
Likewise,did Joseph and Mary let Jesus "decide" if he wanted to be circumcised or did his parents follow the OT laws,practices,etc?
  #6  
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:31 am
Nicea325 Nicea325 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 16, 2010
Posts: 7,111
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: When can baptism be applied if not when young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
Most evangelicals, Baptists, Seventh Day Adventists, Pentecostals, etc. will say they baptize at a sort of "age of reason" (kind of like how Roman Catholics see First Confession and Communion) when the child is old enough to understand what Baptism is and express a desire for it.

For a lot, the age is around 7 or 8. My husband was baptized at 8 in the Southern Baptist Church.
Wow! I have never met a Baptist being baptized as a child. I have met Baptist who were baptized as teenagers. Interesting.
  #7  
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:37 am
Zundrah's Avatar
Zundrah Zundrah is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 29, 2009
Posts: 5,069
Religion: Christian
Default Re: When can baptism be applied if not when young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicea325 View Post
Likewise,did Joseph and Mary let Jesus "decide" if he wanted to be circumcised or did his parents follow the OT laws,practices,etc?
That's a very good point.
__________________


My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
  #8  
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:46 am
anp1215's Avatar
anp1215 anp1215 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 31, 2010
Posts: 3,764
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: When can baptism be applied if not when young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicea325 View Post
Wow! I have never met a Baptist being baptized as a child. I have met Baptist who were baptized as teenagers. Interesting.
Really? I have never met a Baptist baptized as a teenager (unless they were a convert). All Baptists I know raised in the church are baptized around 8 years old.
__________________

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
  #9  
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:53 am
Nicea325 Nicea325 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 16, 2010
Posts: 7,111
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: When can baptism be applied if not when young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
Really? I have never met a Baptist baptized as a teenager (unless they were a convert). All Baptists I know raised in the church are baptized around 8 years old.
Yep! I am a Director of Catechetical Ministry at a local in So.Cal I have met several Baptist converts who were baptized as young as 12 years old.
  #10  
Old Feb 23, '12, 10:54 am
Nicea325 Nicea325 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 16, 2010
Posts: 7,111
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: When can baptism be applied if not when young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundrah View Post
That's a very good point.
Problem is many people want to base it on intelligence in order to be baptized or to accept Jesus into one's life. What about the countless of people not capable of making a sound decision of being baptized? What happens to them?
  #11  
Old Feb 23, '12, 11:53 am
anp1215's Avatar
anp1215 anp1215 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 31, 2010
Posts: 3,764
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: When can baptism be applied if not when young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicea325 View Post
Yep! I am a Director of Catechetical Ministry at a local in So.Cal I have met several Baptist converts who were baptized as young as 12 years old.
I wonder if it has to do with the Baptist denomination. There are several Baptist denominations. The largest in the United States is the Southern Baptist Convention, and it is by far the most prevalent Baptist denomination in the South (where I am). However, I think in other parts of the country, the American Baptist Churches is more dominant than the SBC.
__________________

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
  #12  
Old Feb 23, '12, 11:58 am
anp1215's Avatar
anp1215 anp1215 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 31, 2010
Posts: 3,764
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: When can baptism be applied if not when young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicea325 View Post
Problem is many people want to base it on intelligence in order to be baptized or to accept Jesus into one's life. What about the countless of people not capable of making a sound decision of being baptized? What happens to them?
Exactly. My good friend and boss has three kids, the oldest of which is 5 and has special needs. I am not exactly sure what they are, but he does not walk or talk at all. They are Catholic and have had him baptized as a baby in the Catholic Church, but it made me wonder, what if they were Baptist (or another denomination)? What would happen to this precious child regarding baptism? Would he be "skipped over" once he reached the age of 8 (or whatever), but once his siblings reached that age, they would get baptized?

Doesn't make sense.
__________________

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
  #13  
Old Feb 23, '12, 12:51 pm
Nicea325 Nicea325 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 16, 2010
Posts: 7,111
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: When can baptism be applied if not when young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
Exactly. My good friend and boss has three kids, the oldest of which is 5 and has special needs. I am not exactly sure what they are, but he does not walk or talk at all. They are Catholic and have had him baptized as a baby in the Catholic Church, but it made me wonder, what if they were Baptist (or another denomination)? What would happen to this precious child regarding baptism? Would he be "skipped over" once he reached the age of 8 (or whatever), but once his siblings reached that age, they would get baptized?

Doesn't make sense.
And that is the whole point. I once had a parent of a child enrolled in our catechetical program tell me she does not believe in infant baptism,because they have no idea what is going on. I told her many people do not believe in Hell,one's lack of belief does not deny its existence. So I asked her: So Joseph and Mary were wrong for having Jesus circumcised since he was only 8 days old? Her look on her face:
  #14  
Old Feb 23, '12, 8:09 pm
hn160's Avatar
hn160 hn160 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 27, 2011
Posts: 1,042
Religion: LC-MS Lutheran
Default Re: When can baptism be applied if not when young?

My pastor wants to have babies baptized by a week after birth and if there is a problem after birth, he'll do it in the hospital.
__________________
  #15  
Old Feb 24, '12, 11:49 am
Calgar Calgar is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: April 19, 2011
Posts: 818
Religion: Southern Baptist
Default Re: When can baptism be applied if not when young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
what if they were Baptist (or another denomination)? What would happen to this precious child regarding baptism? Doesn't make sense.
If he was of such a state that he/she would never gain the mental ability to understand then the child most likely would not be baptised.

You may not know this, but in many baptist churches, baptism is an ordinance not a sacrament. Therefore not absolutely necessary for salvation.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8295Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: eschator83
5059CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4348Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: Marla Frances
4033OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3848SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3598Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3254Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3210Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3178Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3062For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Kellyreneeomara



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:18 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.