Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 23, '12, 2:22 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Happy

Just thought I'd tell a story of something good that happened to me today. I recently lost my job and my husband is self employed and has very little work so we are trying to limit our spending to gas and groceries. We have been using my husband's retirement money to pay bills and I am considering cashing mine in if things don't improve.

Every year for the past 5 years or so I have taken my mom to a Catholic Women's Conference. I buy the tickets and treat her. This year's conference is Saturday and the price increased to $27 a person. I kept looking at it online but couldn't bring myself to spend the $54 when we are so financially stressed. Yesterday I looked at it and decided I couldn't spend the money and was considering asking my mom to buy the tickets but couldn't bring myself to do it. I thought "How pitiful that I can't even afford to go this year." And then I got all annoyed and sad about it.

This morning I went to the Women's Bible Study group I attend and at the end of the meeting one of my friends announced that the church had 2 extra tickets for the conference. Noone else seemed interested so I gladly took them off her hands! I was so happy, I went in the bathroom and cried and then I went to Adoration for a little while and cried some more.My mom is also going through a rough time. She is very social and outgoing and had to retire so she can take care of my not so healthy dad. I know she is having a hard time staying home. I think those tickets were meant for us!
Old Feb 23, '12, 2:49 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Happy

Awesome! Praise God!
Old Feb 23, '12, 3:37 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keran View Post
Just thought I'd tell a story of something good that happened to me today. I recently lost my job and my husband is self employed and has very little work so we are trying to limit our spending to gas and groceries. We have been using my husband's retirement money to pay bills and I am considering cashing mine in if things don't improve.

Every year for the past 5 years or so I have taken my mom to a Catholic Women's Conference. I buy the tickets and treat her. This year's conference is Saturday and the price increased to $27 a person. I kept looking at it online but couldn't bring myself to spend the $54 when we are so financially stressed. Yesterday I looked at it and decided I couldn't spend the money and was considering asking my mom to buy the tickets but couldn't bring myself to do it. I thought "How pitiful that I can't even afford to go this year." And then I got all annoyed and sad about it.

This morning I went to the Women's Bible Study group I attend and at the end of the meeting one of my friends announced that the church had 2 extra tickets for the conference. Noone else seemed interested so I gladly took them off her hands! I was so happy, I went in the bathroom and cried and then I went to Adoration for a little while and cried some more.My mom is also going through a rough time. She is very social and outgoing and had to retire so she can take care of my not so healthy dad. I know she is having a hard time staying home. I think those tickets were meant for us!
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story! It is heartwarming and made my day!
Old Feb 23, '12, 3:46 pm

Quote:

Indeed! Your prayer, even though it remained in your heart, was answered! Praise God, it is so nice to hear about the little "ordinary miracles" in people's lives.

Would you consider writing that up and sending it to the Guideposts magazine? They are always in need of good positive stories. It's not specifically Catholic but it's not anti-Catholic either. I love reading it.
Old Feb 23, '12, 3:56 pm

Thanks for posting your story. It was nice to hear about God answering someone's prayers.
Old Feb 23, '12, 4:30 pm

Wonderful!! Thanks for sharing. We really need to share more stories like that.
Old Feb 24, '12, 3:41 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
I think those tickets were meant for us!
I think you are right! Hope you have a lovely time with your mom.
"Lord Jesus, in times of trial and temptation, be my strength and consolation. Teach me not to fear the darkness, but rather draw me to your light. For it can only be in darkness that you will become my light and in your light that I may bring the light of healing to all I meet." - George Maloney
Old Feb 24, '12, 9:41 pm

Religion: catholic

What a lovely story! *Of course* those tickets were meant for you! Have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:45 am

Happy you got the tickets, but I am sorry to say that I am sickened that you were thinking of not going to this conference because you couldn't afford the tickets. It just shows a problem in the wider Church. Isn't this conference run by Christians? I mean sure, they need to pay the rent on the conference hall so it's not totally unreasonable to charge for the event, but I would hope they would let people go who couldn't afford it.
Old Feb 25, '12, 10:06 am
Prayer Warrior

Thanks for sharing that. God's good.
Old Feb 25, '12, 10:10 am

Awesome!

God has a way of working behind the scenes sometimes.
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:22 pm

Gotta love those "God moments"!
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:33 pm

What a great story !
Old Feb 26, '12, 8:51 pm

Tradycja: I am sure they would have allowed me to go if I had asked. I have pride issues.
By the way, it was awesome.
Old Feb 27, '12, 4:45 pm

Talking Re: Happy

This is so wonderful to hear about something great happening in another's life! It's lovely to read and congrats! Hope you enjoy it!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life