Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 23, '12, 3:26 pm

Default Can Someone Explain Protestant Churches who have the Holy Eucharist?

I don't really understand how Episcopalians, Anglicans, or other Protestant branches are able to have Holy Communion. Can someone please explain this to me? Also, can someone direct me to a list of churches (other than the orthodox Churches in the East) that Rome allows to give Holy Communion that are not in the Latin Church or the Eastern Churches? Are there any other Protestant churches that are able to give Holy Communion or is it just Episcopalian/Anglican?
Old Feb 23, '12, 3:46 pm

Religion: Catholic. Latin Rite.
Send a message via Skype™ to JD27076
Default Re: Can Someone Explain Protestant Churches who have the Holy Eucharist?

No protestant church gives valid communion. You are not to accept protestant communion either.

Episcopalians have a "holy Eucharist" but it is not holy, nor a Eucharist.

The Only churches that Rome gives valid communion, confession, etc, is the Orthodox Churches. (Other than themselves :P)

Human life is Sacred. . . Animal life is Special.
Old Feb 23, '12, 3:59 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can Someone Explain Protestant Churches who have the Holy Eucharist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinc1019 View Post
I don't really understand how Episcopalians, Anglicans, or other Protestant branches are able to have Holy Communion. Can someone please explain this to me?
The answer is, simply, that the Catholic Church teaches they do not have valid Holy Orders and therefore do not have Holy Communion.

Quote:
Also, can someone direct me to a list of churches (other than the orthodox Churches in the East) that Rome allows to give Holy Communion that are not in the Latin Church or the Eastern Churches?
The Catholic Church allows for Catholics to receive the sacraments of Eucharist and Reconciliation in cases of emergency/necessity (see Canon Law) from those true particular Churches that have maintained valid apostolic succession and therefore valid Holy Orders.

However, not all such Churches will give these sacraments to Catholics.

The Orthodox Churches have valid Orders. There are some others, but thing become complex and therefore it is best to take this up with your diocese if you have an issue. Otherwise, you should be attending and receiving the Eucharist in your own Catholic Church.

Quote:
Are there any other Protestant churches that are able to give Holy Communion or is it just Episcopalian/Anglican?
There aren't "any others" because there aren't ANY. I am not sure where you've gotten this idea.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 23, '12, 4:21 pm
Banned

Religion: catholic

Quote:

Are there any other Protestant churches that are able to give Holy Communion
Protestant Churches have the Lord's Supper on occasional basis [often quarterly] ... but, view it as a memorial, not a Sacrament with 'life-giving' true presence, sustenance. It is offered in a solemn ceremony, and the prayers and scripture read on the occasion are of benefit to the celebrants. There certainly is some grace and spiritual value to the ceremony.

But, it is not the same as the Eucharist 'todah', the CC celebrates at every Mass.
Old Feb 23, '12, 4:29 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Protestant churches, based on Martin Luther's denial of apostolic succession, do not believe as well.

Only authorized churches that have authentic and actual Holy Communion are those churches who original founders were part of the 12 Apostles chosen by Christ. When Judas betrayed Christ and died, the apostles threw lots and picked someone else to take his place.

The churches and denominations that broke from Rome in the West broke as well from the same apostolic churches, and also denied most of the 7 sacraments, baptism being the most common rite still practiced in Christianity. Such denominations that have only one sacrament of baptism are based here in the USA, far from their Christian roots.
Old Feb 23, '12, 4:36 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Of course, the Church recognizes the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox (and always has).

The Church recognized the Orders and Sacramental validity of the Polish National Catholic Church (PNCC) in 1996.

The reference to "separated churches in the West" in Dominus Iesus thought to be a reference to the Old Catholic Communion. There's certinally no reason why the Old Catholics would not have valid Orders or Sacraments.

As of 1995, The Chaldean Church (an Eastern Church in full communion with Rome) and the Assyrian Church of the East allow mutual inter-communion "when necessity requires." This is an implicit recognition of the validity of Assyrian Orders, as inter-communion would be impossible without valid Orders.

AFAIK, there are no other Churches whom Rome has recognized as having valid Orders.

Hooray!
Old Feb 23, '12, 4:38 pm

Religion: lapsed, but seeking Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb3 View Post
Protestant Churches have the Lord's Supper on occasional basis [often quarterly] ... but, view it as a memorial, not a Sacrament with 'life-giving' true presence, sustenance. It is offered in a solemn ceremony, and the prayers and scripture read on the occasion are of benefit to the celebrants. There certainly is some grace and spiritual value to the ceremony.

But, it is not the same as the Eucharist 'todah', the CC celebrates at every Mass.
Well actually, not all Protestants believe in memorialism. Lutherans especially reject it entirely and fully accept the real presence. They simply believe that terming it transubstantiation is a an attempt to understand a mystery that should remain a mystery. Some Anglicans also believe it to be a real presence.

Calvinists (depending on which ones) reject a real physical presence, but some have mentioned a "spiritual presence" which is supposed to be something more than memorialism.

Evangelicals all embrace memorialism.

«...Conoscerete la veritą, e la veritą vi renderą liberi.».
(Giovanni 8:32)

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Old Feb 23, '12, 4:51 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
I don't really understand how Episcopalians, Anglicans, or other Protestant branches are able to have Holy Communion. Can someone please explain this to me? Also, can someone direct me to a list of churches (other than the orthodox Churches in the East) that Rome allows to give Holy Communion that are not in the Latin Church or the Eastern Churches? Are there any other Protestant churches that are able to give Holy Communion or is it just Episcopalian/Anglican?
I am not sure that I understand your question. Although we don't recognise non-Catholic Holy Communion as valid, the other denominations are still Christians and believe in the Last Supper so why do you think they wouldn't celebrate Holy Communion in a way that is pertinent to their belief? There are many liturgical books about the different approaches to the Eucharist comparing and contrasting Catholic/Anglican/Lutheran and Reformed approaches which make fascinating reading. There are also Catholic dialogues and agreements which document common understanding of certain elements of the Eucharist with Lutherans and Anglicans, but none of them allow Catholics to receive in other churches and vice versa (apart from a single agreement in France).
Old Feb 23, '12, 5:25 pm
Prayer Warrior

Protestants don't have Holy Communion. They have wafers or whatever they want to call it.
Old Feb 23, '12, 5:50 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

Correct me if I"m wrong but isn't it only the CC that has the Sacrifice of the Mass, the Lords Supper at the CC is totally different than any other Prostestant church.
Old Feb 23, '12, 6:02 pm

First of all, I didn't conjure this idea up out of thin air...and secondly, I was not offered, nor have I ever taken communion from anyone other than a Catholic priest. What I am referring to is this, which I found on a website while doing some charity work: http://www.holycomforter.org/our-parish/

It is an Episcopalian church that says this in their information section: "Holy Comforter is an Episcopal Church. We are part of Christ's One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. As Episcopalians we are organized into parishes, each in union with our Bishop. We participate in the larger Church through the Diocese of Chicago. Our Clergy and laity are involved in the diocesan ministry, and we annually share at least 20% of our parish budget for the work of the national and diocesan Church.

Holy Comforter is a Eucharistic-centered parish where the Holy Eucharist is celebrated each day. Our ministry begins daily at the altar. Our liturgy reflects the practices and theology contained in The Book of Common Prayer."
Old Feb 23, '12, 6:06 pm

I don't know anything about Episcopalians so the confusion given that passage above is obviously understandable.
Old Feb 23, '12, 6:57 pm

Religion: Episcopalian

Quote:
I don't know anything about Episcopalians so the confusion given that passage above is obviously understandable.
Not all that confusing. We believe that we have valid holy orders and valid sacraments, and the Roman Catholics believe that we do not.
Old Feb 23, '12, 7:12 pm

Then do you also believe that your Holy Eucharist is the same as the Catholic Holy Eucharist? Are there other Protestant denominations that believe the same thing?
Old Feb 23, '12, 7:15 pm
Veteran Member

The problem with the Episcopal Church is that it broke from apostolic succession. The Western churches that came out of Rome did not have the apostolic succession you see with those remaining with the Holy Father. The Orthodox Churches have 11 of the apostles as their founders. The Holy Spirit led Peter to Rome.

It is particularly crucial for churches come out from Rome maintain their communion and unity. Otherwise they lose the transmission of grace.

The Episcopal Church does not have valid communion. The Anglican Church is returning to Peter.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions