Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Are Jews saved?
Yes 6 28.57%
No 3 14.29%
Only God Knows. 12 57.14%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Feb 23, '12, 4:54 pm

Religion: Catholic. Latin Rite.
Send a message via Skype™ to JD27076
Default Are Jewish people ... saved?

Many people do not think so.
Others do, such as John Hagee.

But the question is in the title. are the Jewish people saved?
I know God only knows, but what is the..chance of salvation from what the Church teaches?

Human life is Sacred. . . Animal life is Special.
Old Feb 23, '12, 5:13 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Default Re: Are Jewish people ... saved?

The Jewish people enjoy no special favortism. They need Jesus, just like everyone else.

Like all non-Christians, the Church recognizes the possibility of salvation through invincible ignorance, so a Jew might yet be saved. But a person's Judaism will not be a factor.

The Bible describes the Jews as the Chosen People. That does not mean preferred or favored - it means chosen. Chosen to bring salvation to the world through Jesus Christ. They have fulfilled the purpose that they were chosen to do, and are thus no longer chosen.

Hooray!
Old Feb 23, '12, 5:21 pm

Religion: Catholic. Latin Rite.
Send a message via Skype™ to JD27076

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidFilmer View Post
The Jewish people enjoy no special favortism. They need Jesus, just like everyone else.

Like all non-Christians, the Church recognizes the possibility of salvation through invincible ignorance, so a Jew might yet be saved. But a person's Judaism will not be a factor.

The Bible describes the Jews as the Chosen People. That does not mean preferred or favored - it means chosen. Chosen to bring salvation to the world through Jesus Christ. They have fulfilled the purpose that they were chosen to do, and are thus no longer chosen.
So the Christians are the chosen people now? Well..Catholics

Human life is Sacred. . . Animal life is Special.
Old Feb 23, '12, 5:25 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD27076 View Post
So the Christians are the chosen people now? Well..Catholics
The Church is called the Israel of God.

Christians are adopted by the grace of God and made co-heirs of everlasting life if they persevere in the Faith and keep the commandments of God. We are therefore styled the children of God. We therefore do not boast in ourselves but rather in the Cross (of Christ) as being our glory and the glory of God.
Old Feb 23, '12, 5:31 pm

Religion: Catholic

Not through observance of the Mosaic Law, which has been abrogated.

Only through Jesus Christ, like any other human being that is saved. Salvation in Christ can be attained for a Jewish person through baptism or its desire - explicit (catechumens) or implicit (those in invincible ignorance who obey the natural law written on their hearts).
Old Feb 23, '12, 5:32 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:

I know God only knows, but what is the..chance of salvation from what the Church teaches?
I'm sure I read in the Catechism that Jews are not thought to be left out in the group of souls returning home at the Second Coming.

My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Old Feb 23, '12, 5:34 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:

Judaism does not preoccupy itself with heavenly salvation, but instead focuses on this world and making it better by means of studying and practicing the Law in one's moral relations and good deeds toward others. Jewish teaching states that redemption is a matter of individual atonement through prayer toward G-d and restitution toward one's fellow man. In ancient times, the external ritual involving the blood sacrifice of animals in the Temple was of no use without prayer and the sincere resolve to change one's behavior. No matter how many times one sins due to being human and not divine, one can still be forgiven by G-d provided one makes the effort to do better.
Old Feb 23, '12, 5:44 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

Yes I do think so, they have the same Father and if they are following his laws, maybe they don't need Christ as their saviour, but us Christians have Jesus as our Lord and Saviour, I bet nothing pleases God more than to see his chosen people praying and worshipping him. I don't know, just rambling. I will vote.
Old Feb 23, '12, 6:58 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I believe that they are saved. True, Jesus is our Lord and Savior, and without Him, we are lost. There are others who genuinely seek to follow God, Jewish folks included who I am sure will possibly be saved. I believe that God still has a special purpose for them, that He is still working His divine purpose through them, perhaps at His 2nd coming plan/s.
Old Feb 23, '12, 6:59 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtosew View Post
Yes I do think so, they have the same Father
No they do not.
[33] But he that shall deny me before men, I will also deny him before my Father who is in heaven. [34] Do not think that I came to send peace upon earth: I came not to send peace, but the sword.

[23] Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father. He that confesseth the Son, hath the Father also.
Old Feb 23, '12, 7:12 pm

Pope St Clement knew that non-Catholics could be saved from the beginning, for he wrote in about 95 A.D. to the Church in Corinth: "Those who repented for their sins, appeased God in praying and received salvation, even though they were aliens to God." [Catholic Apologetics Today, 1986, Fr William G Most, p 145]."

'Extra ecclesiam, nulla salus (literally, “outside the Church, there is no salvation”). Some people have wished to understand this saying in the most literal sense: that is, that the person who is not formally a practicing Catholic cannot be saved. The Church has condemned such an interpretation (cf. Denzinger-Schönmetzer, 3870-3873).

'This is not to say that the maxim is false. Properly understood, it is quite true. The Latin word extra can mean either “without” or “outside.” The correct interpretation and sense of the maxim is that we cannot be saved without the Church. It is through the Church, which carries on and makes present the salvific work of Jesus Christ in the world, that all who are saved reach heaven (even if it is perhaps only there that they realize it). Those who, through no fault of their own, have never known Christ or his Church can still be saved. But their salvation, too, is the effect of Jesus working through his Church. In a positive sense, this theological principle “means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body” (CCC 846).'
[Encyclopedia of Catholic Doctrine, OSV].
Old Feb 23, '12, 8:18 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu View Post
Pope St Clement knew that non-Catholics could be saved from the beginning, for he wrote in about 95 A.D. to the Church in Corinth: "Those who repented for their sins, appeased God in praying and received salvation, even though they were aliens to God." [Catholic Apologetics Today, 1986, Fr William G Most, p 145]."
That quote is taken completely out of context:
Noah preached repentance, and as many as listened to him were saved. Jonah proclaimed destruction to the Ninevites; Jonah iii but they, repenting of their sins, propitiated God by prayer, and obtained salvation, although they were aliens [to the covenant] of God.
They were saved from physical destruction.

Further, this event was a prefigurement of what Christ has done and what His Church accomplishes for the world in the Mass (by propitiating the just wrath of God toward sin).

Notice, furthermore, that the propitiation came by repentance for sin, which is in keeping with what the Council of Trent teaches on Justification also. Repentance for sin is always necessary for Justification or salvation.
Old Feb 23, '12, 8:47 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu View Post
'This is not to say that the maxim is false. Properly understood, it is quite true. The Latin word extra can mean either “without” or “outside.” The correct interpretation and sense of the maxim is that we cannot be saved without the Church. It is through the Church, which carries on and makes present the salvific work of Jesus Christ in the world, that all who are saved reach heaven (even if it is perhaps only there that they realize it). Those who, through no fault of their own, have never known Christ or his Church can still be saved. But their salvation, too, is the effect of Jesus working through his Church. In a positive sense, this theological principle “means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body” (CCC 846).'
[Encyclopedia of Catholic Doctrine, OSV].
The ECD embelishes much here.

CCC 846 actually reads:
"Outside the Church there is no salvation"

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:
Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336
Old Feb 23, '12, 9:20 pm

In Catholic For A Reason, Emmaus Road, 1998, the convert Scott Hahn explains:
"Salvation And The Church...By establishing the New Covenant, Christ founded one Church -- through His own resurrected body -- as an extension of His Incarnation and the Trinity's life. The Catholic Church is the universal Family of God, outside of which there is no salvation. This teaching does not condemn anyone. Rather, it simply clarifies the essential meaning of salvation and the Church. Since the essence of salvation is the life of divine sonship, to speak of salvation outside of God's family, the Church, is to confuse things greatly -- since being outside God's family is precisely what we need to be saved from." ( p 11).

The "necessity of the Catholic Church for salvation" = no salvation without the Catholic Church; the doctrinal meaning of the phrase, means that whether they know it or not, salvation for anyone can come only through Christ’s Church. Christ offers the actual graces which can enable them to follow the natural moral law, and come home if they have the opportunity to so do.
Old Feb 24, '12, 1:19 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic Convert

Not as the "Jewish people," otherwise the Jews on the day of Pentecost would not have had to be repent and be baptized for the remission of their sins so they could be saved. Nor would the "natural branches" have been broken off and others "grafted in," as St. Paul writes in Romans.

As Jewish individuals, only God knows who is saved and who is not.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics