Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 25, '07, 12:05 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic, Cradle Catholic (10 Days Old)
Default XBOX 360's -‘Assassin’s Creed”, an anti-Catholic, anti-American video Game

XBOX 360's,‘Assassin’s Creed”

The anti-Catholic, anti-American video Game

My son received a Christmas gift, which is an XBOX 360 video game called, “Assassin’s Creed”. I walked into the living room and watched him play for a few minutes and I noticed that the main character of the game, “Altair Ibn La-Had (‘Son of None’) was killing, what appeared to be Catholic Crusaders.

I looked at the booklet, which came with the game and on the third page where the description of the “Assassin” is located; the date given for the era in which the character exists, is 1191.

1191 is the date of the Third Crusade.

Quote:
1191 The Third Crusade;

After Saladin's capture of Jerusalem in 1187, King Richard of England and King Philip of France led a crusade in 1191 to drive the Muslims out of the Holy Land. Only partially successful because the kings quarreled, this crusade recaptured some coastal cities, but left Jerusalem in Muslim hands. Richard agreed to a truce with Saladin and returned home, only to be captured and imprisoned by the Duke of Austria. Though many crusades followed this one, none was successful.
I find it amazing how the anti-Catholic, anti-Christian and anti-American propaganda has crept into every aspect of the media including video games for kids.

I am sure that the anti-Catholic and anti-American Muslim extremist will love this game, Osama Bin Ladin (the murderer) is probably playing it, in his cave, right now. I won't be surprised, if one day I hear that some America soldier finds this game in the home of terrorist.

I think this game was deliberately created to be anti-Catholic and anti-American. I am very disappointed in Microsoft, XBOX 360 and Ubisoft (located in San Francisco) the creator of this game.

Do you think that I am over-reacting? Is anyone else aware of this video game? Moreover, why hasn’t the mainstream media noticed this?

Your Thoughts

Merry Christmas

Jimmy B.

May the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all - Go in Peace.
Old Dec 25, '07, 12:36 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: XBOX 360's -‘Assassin’s Creed”, an anti-Catholic, anti-American video Game

To conclude that the video game is an agenda, I would have to research the creators and those who financed it.

Are you sure it's not just another action game? I suppose they could have made it Crusaders against Moslems, but that would have looked really bad considering our current issues with the Middle East.
Old Dec 25, '07, 1:08 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: XBOX 360's -‘Assassin’s Creed”, an anti-Catholic, anti-American video Game

What you discribe is anti-catholic and anti christian in general.It is fasionable and profitable to bash the church.I am not politically correct.I believe Moslems are bent on the destruction of Christians and Jews.Sorry if this offends anyone.
Old Dec 25, '07, 3:21 pm

Send a message via MSN to Feanaro

I own this game for the playstation 3. Yes you are an assassin during the crusades, however you don't only kill crusaders but also Muslim Saracens. While I don't think there is any outright anti-catholicism, there are elements of this game that has bothered me as well. Such as the popular conspiracy theory that the Templars were part of an evil secret society wanting to conquer the Holy land. So I guess that's some anti-catholicism. Either way, it's not even that great of a game anyway, and I wouldn't buy it again.
Old Dec 25, '07, 4:18 pm

There is a huge twist ending when you beat the game. What all you see right now in it......is not what you think.
Old Dec 25, '07, 4:34 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

We bought this for our son, for PS3, which we bought--and it's nothing like what is being described here...the main character is not killing Catholics.

Plot
The overall story within Assassin's Creed is set in September 2012, where barkeeper Desmond Miles (the character controlled by the player) has been kidnapped by an unknown person prior to the start of the game, and is brought to Abstergo Industries, where researchers are working on the Animus project. The Animus is able to pull out memories from the DNA of the user, allowing the user to replay those memories as if he were there himself. Desmond was "chosen" for the project due to his relationship to his ancestor Altaïr Ibn La-Ahad (الطائر Al-taa-ir in Arabic "The Flying One") a member of the Assassins during the Third Crusade of the Holy Land; the researchers express interest in understanding more of how the Assassins worked. Though initially Desmond's sub-conscious rejects the memories of Altaïr, he eventually learns to accept them and is able to proceed to follow Altaïr's actions through the Animus.

The memories of Altaïr that Desmond experiences start in AD 1191: Richard the Lionheart has just recaptured the port city of Acre from the Conquer of Muslims. With a base of operations established, the Crusaders prepare to march south. Their true target is Jerusalem – which they intend to recapture for Christianity. However the Muslim forces are massing in the ruins of Arsuf, intending to ambush the Crusaders and prevent them from reaching Jerusalem. These war maneuvers have left the rest of the Holy Land wide open. While Richard and Saladin battle one another, the men left to govern in their stead have begun taking advantage of their newfound positions of power

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. ~St. Francis of Assisi
Old Jan 4, '10, 8:07 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Traditional Rite Catholic

I just joined caf only to get a question answered about assassins creed! Thank you so much jimmy i am glad i came here before i purchased the game i thought it was Catholic Crusaders... Then I thought that because the game calls them Templars that maybe it was a charecter build from the horrible dan brown books. either way you helped alot God Bless
David Mary Joseph
Old Jan 4, '10, 10:57 pm
Banned

Religion: Dissident Catholic

The game is based around the idea that all humans who influenced history had some magical little toys that let them control people or something like that (Jesus included.)

The game is anti-'ever real belief system' since it has some bizarre half baked religion of its own.
Old May 17, '10, 4:47 am
Book Club Member

I thought it was more anti-religion in general. Until I found this little tidbit...

Spoilers

When you access the computer in the conference room at the very end after completing all missions, there's an article about the grail that basically says everything else connected with the "Christ' is a product of legend aside from the piece of Eden. To me, this doesn't contribute to the story but more like a cheap shot against Christianity specifically, something like a last minute attack that shouldn't even be there but placed there anyway from someone with an axe to grind against Christianity.
John 5:39-40

You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to Me;
Yet you refuse to come to Me that you may have life.
Old May 23, '10, 2:33 am

It's just a game. Let your child have some fun and be a kid. I personally love assassins creed. Think of a war game, "Call of Duty" for example, do you think germans like the idea that they are the bad guys being killed. Take some more time to think it over.
Old May 23, '10, 12:13 pm
Banned

It's just a game. Kind of a boring, repetitive game, but just a game. Don't look for for your morals to be informed from a game.

There are some cheesy christian games out there I think. If you want a "pro-crusade" game just get a strategy game- be european and wipe out everybody.
Old May 23, '10, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor2 View Post
It's just a game. Kind of a boring, repetitive game, but just a game. Don't look for for your morals to be informed from a game.

There are some cheesy christian games out there I think. If you want a "pro-crusade" game just get a strategy game- be european and wipe out everybody.
Um... aren't you the poster over on the "Family Life" forum who's unhappy because your pediatrician suggested you let your child watch Nick Jr. and had a list of reasons why you felt it was bad for her???

COMING APRIL 2014: "No Lifeguard on Duty", the second book in the Black Horse Campground series, from Oak Tree Press!
Old May 24, '10, 7:26 pm
Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
XBOX 360's,‘Assassin’s Creed”

The anti-Catholic, anti-American video Game

My son received a Christmas gift, which is an XBOX 360 video game called, “Assassin’s Creed”. I walked into the living room and watched him play for a few minutes and I noticed that the main character of the game, “Altair Ibn La-Had (‘Son of None’) was killing, what appeared to be Catholic Crusaders.

I looked at the booklet, which came with the game and on the third page where the description of the “Assassin” is located; the date given for the era in which the character exists, is 1191.

1191 is the date of the Third Crusade.

I find it amazing how the anti-Catholic, anti-Christian and anti-American propaganda has crept into every aspect of the media including video games for kids.

I am sure that the anti-Catholic and anti-American Muslim extremist will love this game, Osama Bin Ladin (the murderer) is probably playing it, in his cave, right now. I won't be surprised, if one day I hear that some America soldier finds this game in the home of terrorist.

I think this game was deliberately created to be anti-Catholic and anti-American. I am very disappointed in Microsoft, XBOX 360 and Ubisoft (located in San Francisco) the creator of this game.

Do you think that I am over-reacting? Is anyone else aware of this video game? Moreover, why hasn’t the mainstream media noticed this?

Your Thoughts

Merry Christmas

So this game is both anti Catholic and anti American? It sounds like this game and Obama have much in common.
Old May 26, '10, 2:09 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

Seriously? You guys let your kids play killing games? f

I was once a Doom junkie, but was convicted about it not being in any way healthy for me. I got out, I don't want my kids in. We limit how much Wii Resort fencing they are allowed to play!
Old Jun 7, '10, 2:39 pm

I just finished playing this game all the way through, and let me tell you. I was suprised by the agenda it pushes. Even if you look at the assassins creed logo, it kinda looks like the Masons logo, with out the G and the square. You basically are carrying out the orders of the lead master assassin. He gives you the targets you need to eliminate, some are crusaders, others palestinian. Yes it does take place within the 3rd crusade, so the enemy in the Holy Land are the Templars. Basically the assassins motto is that everything is permitted. God is an illusion, since everytime you kill a target Altair says you are at peace now and rest in the arms of your God. Basically the master assassins goal is to get ahold of the Peace of Eden, which is a glowing orange orb. The master assassin calls it the "word of God" toward the end of the game where Altair confronts him. He says there was never the parting of the Red sea if i remeberly correctly, but what I do remember him saying is that there was no water turned into wine. This game seemed kind of gnostic to me. The games basic premise is that we are the masters of our own destiny, that everything is permissable to us, and of course, there is no God. It really seemed to me that Christianity itself was being attacked, I saw no instances where Jews or Muslims were being singled out in this game. Altair, the games protagonist, seems to be atheist. I wouldn't let my kids play this game at all.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence