Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 24, '12, 7:42 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Why Are There No Baptisms During Lent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith15 View Post
Usually this is because the parish has a backup of baptisms needed and not enough priests to perform the function in a timely manner. Parents and godparents must take classes, godparents must be approved, etc. This can take time, depriving the infant of a timely baptism.
That's why all of this should be done during the pregnancy, not after the birth. Parents have enough to do/worry about when they have a newborn without coordinating the baptism. Unfortunately I think almost no one does these things during the pregnancy anymore.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Feb 24, '12, 8:09 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith15 View Post
Usually this is because the parish has a backup of baptisms needed and not enough priests to perform the function in a timely manner. Parents and godparents must take classes, godparents must be approved, etc. This can take time, depriving the infant of a timely baptism.
In this area they do group baptisms. I don't see anything to limit the number of baptisms that one priest or deacon can do in an afternoon. I would note that Peter and the apostles did three thousand baptisms that first afternoon [Acts 2:41]
Old Feb 24, '12, 8:25 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpeian Rock View Post
I have an idea that some pastors feel Baptisms during Lent (and possibly Advent) are inappropriate (being joyful and celebratory occasions) vs. what are considered penitential periods (more true of Lent than Advent).
That was the line of reasoning I thought of when I first saw the OP's post. However, we still have feast days during Lent so that really doesn't stack up when you think about it a bit deeper.
Old Feb 24, '12, 11:23 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Petrine Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to Inego de Loyola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpeian Rock View Post
Except this is a directive that by definition cannot be enforced. What's the alternative -- if you delay your child's Baptism, we'll refuse to perform it? Self-contradictory, self-defeating, and inconsistent with the Church's emphasis on the importance of the Sacrament.
Wait a cotton pickin' minute here! We don't have to abide by the wishes of holy mother church because she can't enforce them?

I didn't say that we should excommunicate people for baptizing their kids at the age of 3 only that the church is unambiguous in her desire they be baptized in the first few weeks. Pardon me if I believe in following the laws of the church even if I can't be jailed for breaking them.
Old Feb 25, '12, 3:34 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpeian Rock
I have an idea that some pastors feel Baptisms during Lent (and possibly Advent) are inappropriate (being joyful and celebratory occasions) vs. what are considered penitential periods (more true of Lent than Advent).
That was the line of reasoning I thought of when I first saw the OP's post. However, we still have feast days during Lent so that really doesn't stack up when you think about it a bit deeper.
I don't know how much it has to do with being a joyful occasion. This practice, or should I say 'avoidance', springs from the same type of thinking that comes up with removing the holy water from the fonts for Lent and replacing it with sand because "we are a desert people".

It would make some sense if all the babies were actually baptized at the Easter Vigil, but I don't know many parents who are willing to come to that celebration with newborns or 4 or 5 week old babies. In all my years attending the Vigil, I've seen infant baptism twice. Being involved in baptismal preparation I know that most families reject the idea immediately because the Vigil starts late and runs so long. Add a baptism and you've got another 20 minutes or so added to an already 'too long' ceremony, the reason usually given for cutting the OT readings to the mandatory 3.
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:47 am

Send a message via MSN to adstrinity Send a message via Yahoo to adstrinity

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2012/02/quaer...g-during-lent/

Please read this.
Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution of all problems. Catholicism is the truth, and everything that departs from it one iota, is disorder, deception, and error. - Juan Donoso Cortes

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments