Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Feb 24, '12, 11:33 am
michelleds's Avatar
michelleds michelleds is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: December 12, 2010
Posts: 945
Religion: Catholic
Default Fasting--bread--what kind

If you were going to do bread and water fasting for a day, what type of bread would you choose?

I would like to choose something that I've seen referred to as "rough artisan bread" but I'm not sure what that means. any suggestions or recipes?

i'm pretty certain that spending $6 on a loaf at Great Harvest or grabbing a loaf of IronKids isn't in the right spirit!

thanks
__________________
"The enemy held fast my will, and had made of it a chain, and had bound me tight with it. For out of the perverse will came lust, and the service of lust ended in habit, and habit, not resisted, became necessity." St. Augustine Confessions
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:15 pm
Daralharb Daralharb is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 17, 2012
Posts: 192
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Fasting--bread--what kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleds View Post
If you were going to do bread and water fasting for a day, what type of bread would you choose?

I would like to choose something that I've seen referred to as "rough artisan bread" but I'm not sure what that means. any suggestions or recipes?

i'm pretty certain that spending $6 on a loaf at Great Harvest or grabbing a loaf of IronKids isn't in the right spirit!

thanks
The French demi-baguettes from Walmart (2.88 for 2 loaves- equivalent to about 6 dinner rolls), or one of their loaf equivalents like tuscan fancy whatever it was called.

The cool thing about the French ones is you can cook one loaf and freeze the uncooked one for another day (increase bake time by around 4 minutes when frozen).

I find it tastes best if I brush with olive oil and salt. Sometimes I might use the salt blessed at Epiphany.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:16 pm
michelleds's Avatar
michelleds michelleds is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: December 12, 2010
Posts: 945
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Fasting--bread--what kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daralharb View Post
The French demi-baguettes from Walmart (2.88 for 2 loaves- equivalent to about 6 dinner rolls), or one of their loaf equivalents like tuscan fancy whatever it was called.

The cool thing about the French ones is you can cook one loaf and freeze the uncooked one for another day (increase bake time by around 4 minutes when frozen).

I find it tastes best if I brush with olive oil and salt. Sometimes I might use the salt blessed at Epiphany.
thanks! and is one of those the daily portion, in your opinion/experience?
__________________
"The enemy held fast my will, and had made of it a chain, and had bound me tight with it. For out of the perverse will came lust, and the service of lust ended in habit, and habit, not resisted, became necessity." St. Augustine Confessions
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:20 pm
christofirst christofirst is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 23, 2009
Posts: 1,248
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Fasting--bread--what kind

The old monks used to call their dark, stout ales "liquid bread". Just a suggestion.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:22 pm
Daralharb Daralharb is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 17, 2012
Posts: 192
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Fasting--bread--what kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleds View Post
thanks! and is one of those the daily portion, in your opinion/experience?
I have no idea what your daily "portion" is... so, I'll say it is the size of around 4 tennis balls placed end to end in length and circumference.

I suppose I could go measure a few of the frozen loaves in my icebox and provide you an aggregate of bread volume, but the tennis ball sizing method is fairly typical of their size. Maybe 4 baseballs depending on how thick the loaves are that day.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:24 pm
Daralharb Daralharb is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 17, 2012
Posts: 192
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Fasting--bread--what kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofirst View Post
The old monks used to call their dark, stout ales "liquid bread". Just a suggestion.
I asked my priest if we could consider Guinness part of the fasting regimen. I got the "you're pushing it, guy" look.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:26 pm
Daralharb Daralharb is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 17, 2012
Posts: 192
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Fasting--bread--what kind

Also, if one wanted to stay away from leavened bread, anything Middle Eastern or Indian (Naan) would work.

Perhaps if Naan, one could ask for the intercession of St. Thomas in their fast due to his India ministry.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:31 pm
michelleds's Avatar
michelleds michelleds is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: December 12, 2010
Posts: 945
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Fasting--bread--what kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daralharb View Post
I have no idea what your daily "portion" is... so, I'll say it is the size of around 4 tennis balls placed end to end in length and circumference.

I suppose I could go measure a few of the frozen loaves in my icebox and provide you an aggregate of bread volume, but the tennis ball sizing method is fairly typical of their size. Maybe 4 baseballs depending on how thick the loaves are that day.
LOL no need to measure. thank you

If I drank a Guiness while fasting, I would surely sleep through most of Lent.
__________________
"The enemy held fast my will, and had made of it a chain, and had bound me tight with it. For out of the perverse will came lust, and the service of lust ended in habit, and habit, not resisted, became necessity." St. Augustine Confessions
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:33 pm
domandcarols's Avatar
domandcarols domandcarols is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: August 3, 2011
Posts: 2,308
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Fasting--bread--what kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofirst View Post
The old monks used to call their dark, stout ales "liquid bread". Just a suggestion.
That made me laugh so hard, ha
__________________
Jesus, Mary, I love you! Save souls!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:44 pm
Tsudeaux Gnymm's Avatar
Tsudeaux Gnymm Tsudeaux Gnymm is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 3, 2012
Posts: 37
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Fasting--bread--what kind

100% whole grain will probably keep your body more balanced when on bread-and-water only. Refined grains in white bread and many mixed grain breads (e.g. 12-seed) is chemically similar to sugar, which could be problematic if you are diabetic or have a similar dietary sensitivity.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:46 pm
Tsudeaux Gnymm's Avatar
Tsudeaux Gnymm Tsudeaux Gnymm is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 3, 2012
Posts: 37
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Fasting--bread--what kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofirst View Post
The old monks used to call their dark, stout ales "liquid bread". Just a suggestion.
Someone did that last Lent.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/0...-brew-alone-2/

As I recall, he had a special, high-calorie brew concocted just for his fast.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:55 pm
lizaanne's Avatar
lizaanne lizaanne is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: February 4, 2005
Posts: 9,750
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Fasting--bread--what kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daralharb View Post
The French demi-baguettes from Walmart (2.88 for 2 loaves- equivalent to about 6 dinner rolls), or one of their loaf equivalents like tuscan fancy whatever it was called.

The cool thing about the French ones is you can cook one loaf and freeze the uncooked one for another day (increase bake time by around 4 minutes when frozen).

I find it tastes best if I brush with olive oil and salt. Sometimes I might use the salt blessed at Epiphany.
This is extremely dangerous to suggest for a bread and water only fast. If this is the ONLY nutrition someone is getting, they can become very ill eating only over processed cheap white bread.

Those who do serious bread and water fasts, typically choose something like Ezekiel bread, which is very rich in protein and whole grains: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ezekiel-bread-i/

~Liza
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Feb 24, '12, 1:00 pm
michelleds's Avatar
michelleds michelleds is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: December 12, 2010
Posts: 945
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Fasting--bread--what kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
This is extremely dangerous to suggest for a bread and water only fast. If this is the ONLY nutrition someone is getting, they can become very ill eating only over processed cheap white bread.

Those who do serious bread and water fasts, typically choose something like Ezekiel bread, which is very rich in protein and whole grains: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ezekiel-bread-i/

~Liza
have you found that the Ezekiel bread in the freezer section of the grocery store is similar or totally bogus in comparison to that recipe?

I definitely don't want to eat processed white bread...like I said in my OP--IronKids is surely not in the spirit.
__________________
"The enemy held fast my will, and had made of it a chain, and had bound me tight with it. For out of the perverse will came lust, and the service of lust ended in habit, and habit, not resisted, became necessity." St. Augustine Confessions
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Feb 24, '12, 1:10 pm
lizaanne's Avatar
lizaanne lizaanne is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: February 4, 2005
Posts: 9,750
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Fasting--bread--what kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleds View Post
have you found that the Ezekiel bread in the freezer section of the grocery store is similar or totally bogus in comparison to that recipe?

I definitely don't want to eat processed white bread...like I said in my OP--IronKids is surely not in the spirit.
I have tried neither personally, but I do have a very good friend who made her own for a bread/water fast one year, and she said it worked well for her. I would look around for good recipes and make your own - it's part of the process of sacrifice too, giving up your time to make your own food, as opposed to going out and buying it off the shelf.

~Liza
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Feb 24, '12, 1:16 pm
Daralharb Daralharb is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: February 17, 2012
Posts: 192
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Fasting--bread--what kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
This is extremely dangerous to suggest for a bread and water only fast. If this is the ONLY nutrition someone is getting, they can become very ill eating only over processed cheap white bread.

Those who do serious bread and water fasts, typically choose something like Ezekiel bread, which is very rich in protein and whole grains: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ezekiel-bread-i/

~Liza
Who is to say that the person is doing this more than a day or two? Please.

People need to know their own limitations and health risks. Who is to say that other options aren't there?

Those who do serious athletics choose different food, etc than those who merely want to run a mile or two a day. The 1-2'er doesn't need half the GNC store like the Olympic dreamer does.

What constitutes a serious fast? That bread is expensive... ~30 bucks for 24 oz. Can't see that being a very cheap fast if truly serious in length.

Some of us can only afford "cheap, white bread", btw. Especially in comparison with that meal-in-a-slice price.

Anyone who starts a "serious" fast without understanding what they're doing probably needs to rethink certain things anyway. As for me, I'll keep eating cheap white bread because paying 30+ for 24oz is on par with oxygen deprivation at birth.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8537Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: jerrythetrucker
5198CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: James_OPL
4433Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3869SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3834Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3395Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3300Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3231Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Rifester
3150For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 5:08 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.