Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Feb 24, '12, 10:36 am
Zundrah's Avatar
Zundrah Zundrah is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 29, 2009
Posts: 5,069
Religion: Christian
Default Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

If you ever came across a teaching or experience that caused you to stray from/ question the Church, what was it that brought you back?




This is in relation to my previous thread about Catholics that remain with the Church but reject teachings from it (which is still running);

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=646646
__________________


My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Feb 24, '12, 11:30 am
JRKH's Avatar
JRKH JRKH is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 14, 2007
Posts: 22,329
Religion: Catholic Revert
Default Re: Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

The Mass

.....and.....




the Eucharist
.
__________________
.... if I have all faith so as to move mountians but have not love, I am nothing. - (1Cor 13:2)


The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Feb 24, '12, 11:43 am
chaunceygardner's Avatar
chaunceygardner chaunceygardner is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 24, 2009
Posts: 1,158
Religion: a disciple of Jesus
Default Re: Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

For me, it is learning that many people have or had the same questions or doubts, including Catholic theologians, bible scholars and the ordained (including bishops). Also, that not one priest to whom I discussed my concerns over several decades ever said I was not welcome or could not remain in the Church. Every one of them said I was not alone among my Catholic brethren. For that reason I never had to make much of a U-turn.
__________________
Turn your ear to wisdom, incline your heart to understanding....like hidden treasures search her out...you will find the knowledge of God. - Inspired by Proverbs 2

Behold, the Kingdom of God is within you. Luke 17
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Feb 24, '12, 11:51 am
SonCatcher SonCatcher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 30, 2010
Posts: 6,033
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

My parents and brothers started "church hopping" while I was in college. Since they still had great influence over me (I was still at home) I went along. I stopped at a Baptist church while they kept bouncing around as I began to sort things out. No place felt like "home" to me while I was away. During this time, I discovered Steve Ray's website where I learned the Catholic difference. I still didn't really understand Primacy, the Eucharist or Reconciliation, though.

It was actually a debate with a Protestant pastor that convinced me of the primacy of Peter. After he convinced me of that, I immediately understood the logical conclusion that Peter's authority could never go away and that I must be in full submission to it (I chose to not discuss this with him since the concept was still fragile in my mind - I have since prayed for his continual formation, instead).
__________________
-John
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:23 pm
Zundrah's Avatar
Zundrah Zundrah is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 29, 2009
Posts: 5,069
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunceygardner View Post
For me, it is learning that many people have or had the same questions or doubts, including Catholic theologians, bible scholars and the ordained (including bishops). Also, that not one priest to whom I discussed my concerns over several decades ever said I was not welcome or could not remain in the Church. Every one of them said I was not alone among my Catholic brethren. For that reason I never had to make much of a U-turn.
Yeah, it's healthy and normal to have questions and doubts. It's maybe just not healthy to entertain them too much.
__________________


My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:24 pm
Zundrah's Avatar
Zundrah Zundrah is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 29, 2009
Posts: 5,069
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonCatcher View Post
My parents and brothers started "church hopping" while I was in college. Since they still had great influence over me (I was still at home) I went along. I stopped at a Baptist church while they kept bouncing around as I began to sort things out. No place felt like "home" to me while I was away. During this time, I discovered Steve Ray's website where I learned the Catholic difference. I still didn't really understand Primacy, the Eucharist or Reconciliation, though.

It was actually a debate with a Protestant pastor that convinced me of the primacy of Peter. After he convinced me of that, I immediately understood the logical conclusion that Peter's authority could never go away and that I must be in full submission to it (I chose to not discuss this with him since the concept was still fragile in my mind - I have since prayed for his continual formation, instead).
With the primacy of Peter, is that enough for you to dismiss all other worries about teachings from the Church?
__________________


My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:37 pm
Edmundus1581 Edmundus1581 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: July 4, 2010
Posts: 3,336
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

For me, it was attempting to live outside the moral laws of the Church - not wantonly, but with some "freedom" - and discovering that this only lead to misery. In my misery I realised that the Church had been right all along about moral absolutes. In accepting the moral absolutes I also returned to the fount of grace - Jesus Christ and His Church.

"Repent and believe the gospel' (Mark 1:15)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:41 pm
SonCatcher SonCatcher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 30, 2010
Posts: 6,033
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundrah View Post
With the primacy of Peter, is that enough for you to dismiss all other worries about teachings from the Church?
No. I still did not understand Reconciliation and the Baptist influence caused serious doubt concerning it. But I went to Reconciliation trusting that the Holy Spirit guided the Magisterium to teach accurately about it. Despite that, I sought to learn about it. It was some years before I had adequate understanding of the Sacrament.

I still struggle to learn about the Faith but have treated my other disagreements similarly.
__________________
-John
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:43 pm
JRKH's Avatar
JRKH JRKH is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 14, 2007
Posts: 22,329
Religion: Catholic Revert
Default Re: Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundrah View Post
With the primacy of Peter, is that enough for you to dismiss all other worries about teachings from the Church?
Not a direct answer to this, but when one finds something that is both critical and unique to the Catholic Church, then yes it is often enough to - well not dismiss - but at least cut down to size any other worries about the teachings of the Church.

Whether that thing be Authority, The Pope, Historical continuity, the Real Presence of the Eucharist or something else...All things that are wonderfully unique to the Catholic (and EO) Church, it is really something of an "aha" moment and one begins to reassess things in this new light.

Peace
James
__________________
.... if I have all faith so as to move mountians but have not love, I am nothing. - (1Cor 13:2)


The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Feb 24, '12, 12:57 pm
cradlecatholic5's Avatar
cradlecatholic5 cradlecatholic5 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 7, 2007
Posts: 902
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

After my Dad passed away, I had some hurt, anger & doubts. I strayed for a few months, spoke w/ a wonderful, understanding priest.

It was Our Blessed Mother who helped me and continues to do so daily.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Feb 24, '12, 1:17 pm
Zundrah's Avatar
Zundrah Zundrah is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 29, 2009
Posts: 5,069
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonCatcher View Post
No. I still did not understand Reconciliation and the Baptist influence caused serious doubt concerning it. But I went to Reconciliation trusting that the Holy Spirit guided the Magisterium to teach accurately about it. Despite that, I sought to learn about it. It was some years before I had adequate understanding of the Sacrament.

I still struggle to learn about the Faith but have treated my other disagreements similarly.
So you hold on because you are sure that if and when you look into each teaching thoroughly, you will find reason and understanding? That's a good enough answer. If only others had that kind of patience you show.
__________________


My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Feb 24, '12, 1:20 pm
Zundrah's Avatar
Zundrah Zundrah is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 29, 2009
Posts: 5,069
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKH View Post
Not a direct answer to this, but when one finds something that is both critical and unique to the Catholic Church, then yes it is often enough to - well not dismiss - but at least cut down to size any other worries about the teachings of the Church.

Whether that thing be Authority, The Pope, Historical continuity, the Real Presence of the Eucharist or something else...All things that are wonderfully unique to the Catholic (and EO) Church, it is really something of an "aha" moment and one begins to reassess things in this new light.

Peace
James
That's how I use to see it. But for me it was short lived. I think I rushed into it too quickly. People did say, it was happening too fast.
__________________


My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Feb 24, '12, 1:28 pm
Zundrah's Avatar
Zundrah Zundrah is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 29, 2009
Posts: 5,069
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundus1581 View Post
For me, it was attempting to live outside the moral laws of the Church - not wantonly, but with some "freedom" - and discovering that this only lead to misery. In my misery I realized that the Church had been right all along about moral absolutes. In accepting the moral absolutes I also returned to the fount of grace - Jesus Christ and His Church.

"Repent and believe the gospel' (Mark 1:15)
It is true that nothing is as unfulfilling as leaving the whole Church behind for the sake of some disagreement. Because you're then stuck with having to find a church of which teachings you'll have to route through and make yet more decisions on anyway.
__________________


My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Feb 24, '12, 5:33 pm
Edmundus1581 Edmundus1581 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: July 4, 2010
Posts: 3,336
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundrah View Post
It is true that nothing is as unfulfilling as leaving the whole Church behind for the sake of some disagreement. Because you're then stuck with having to find a church of which teachings you'll have to route through and make yet more decisions on anyway.
Well, I can only say I agree completely!

Yes, the common experience in our comments seems to be that, outside the Church, we found we had lost one thing which we couldn't do without, and accepted that to recover it we had to accept all of the Church - with no picking-and-choosing.

BTW, I didn't completely leave the Church or go to another denomination, but I just kept attending, intermittently, while ignoring or rejecting many of its teachings - until I ended up in a personal mess, which I realized had been brought on by this apostasy.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Feb 24, '12, 6:12 pm
JRKH's Avatar
JRKH JRKH is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 14, 2007
Posts: 22,329
Religion: Catholic Revert
Default Re: Catholics: a U-turn back to the Church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundrah View Post
That's how I use to see it. But for me it was short lived. I think I rushed into it too quickly. People did say, it was happening too fast.
I think that you may be being too harsh and impatient with yourself even now.
Just because one accepts the authority and Truth of the Church doesn't mean that one understands it, or that one doesn't scratch their head and go huh???

But - like a good citizen of the Kingdom and the household of God in His Church, I accept that maybe the Church knows better on matters too complicated for my simple mind to grasp.
For me - the core, as taught in the Bible - is Love. The important things for me to DO as a Catholic and as a follower of our Lord must be likewise built on Love. This keeps me plenty busy and so I don't become distressed over other - more tangential - matters.

Peace
James
__________________
.... if I have all faith so as to move mountians but have not love, I am nothing. - (1Cor 13:2)


The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8367Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Weejee
5102CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4417Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3859SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3695Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: daughterstm
3269Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3262Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3218Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3093For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: SERVENT FOR GOD



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 6:54 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.