Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 24, '12, 4:12 pm

Religion: ~~Catholic~~
Default Kneeling while receiving Communion

I am new to Traditional Catholicism but I love what I'm learning about my faith and how it was before V2. Recently, I started veiling at Mass and kneeling while receiving the Eucharist. However, I attend a Novus Ordo Mass, my priest is not very conservative and I'm the only one who does this. Each and every time I go up for Communion, my priest roles his eyes. I asked him if it were ok, before I started doing it and he didn't say "no" but he didn't say "yes" either. He gave me a long lecture of how it holds up the line and how we have a lot of people and he made me feel like I'm adding so much extra time to the whole Mass by my choice of reverence. I'm not doing it to be "holier than thou", I just want to do it because I am approaching and receiving the King of Kings and He deserves at least that amount of respect.

The reason I'm not putting this in the Traditional Catholic forum is because I know how they will respond but I want to hear from other priest or lay people. Am I wrong to do it in NO mass? Also, I don't go to the Trinidine Mass every weekend because its about 2 hours from me and I can't afford the gas price right now.... trust me, I would if I could.
Old Feb 24, '12, 6:00 pm

Default Re: Kneeling while receiving Communion

I do the exact thing as you. I go to the Tridentine Mass every sunday as well as the Novus Ordo. I kneel for Communion always, but Priests don't really have a probelm with it in my area. God bless
Old Feb 24, '12, 6:08 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

You are not wrong, you have the right to receive kneeling. I'm sorry your priest is so nasty about it, I'll pray for you and him as well.
Old Feb 24, '12, 6:20 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

You are perfectly within your rights to do so and if this is beneficial to your spirit, then by all means do so.
I would suggest that you not look at your pastor's eyes when you go up but concentrate on his hands and the host.

I wonder - do people come up to receive a "blessing" and does he permit this? It is my understanding that this is NOT correct, though many priests permit it. If he does and if he were ever to broach the subject of your kneeling....you could mention that, while kneeling for communion is permissible, people coming up for a "blessing" is not permissible...

I don't know where this is addressed but I'm sure someone could provide a reference...

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Feb 24, '12, 6:28 pm

Religion: ~~Catholic~~

I'm looking at the host but from my view point, its kinda hard not to see his eyes or expression. Like I said, he has never said I couldn't do it but he isn't happy that I do it. I think it takes a nano second longer.
Old Feb 24, '12, 10:28 pm

Religion: Catholic

I have not been to an OF Mass since January 1 of this year. I have been able to bum rides or share expenses with another family to EF Masses. But even when I do go to my local OF parish I always kneel for communion.

One of the priests doesn't know how to give properly to a kneeling communicant and sometimes misses my tongue so I have to be very alert.
Old Feb 25, '12, 3:13 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape11 View Post
I'm looking at the host but from my view point, its kinda hard not to see his eyes or expression. Like I said, he has never said I couldn't do it but he isn't happy that I do it. I think it takes a nano second longer.
True - Often times body language is hard to miss - Especially when we have an expectation of what it will be.

In his defense, I will say that the Church tries to promote unity through commonality. That is, we show we are a single community by doing things together in the same manner.
So when you asked him about this, his encouraging you to receive standing may have been an expression of this idea.

Regardless - the choice is yours - You can receive kneeling out of great Love and reverence for the Eucharist, but out of "step" with common practice at your parish, OR you can submit to your pastor, who is your local shepherd, and receive standing.

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Feb 25, '12, 4:15 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKH View Post
You are perfectly within your rights to do so and if this is beneficial to your spirit, then by all means do so.
I would suggest that you not look at your pastor's eyes when you go up but concentrate on his hands and the host.

I wonder - do people come up to receive a "blessing" and does he permit this? It is my understanding that this is NOT correct, though many priests permit it. If he does and if he were ever to broach the subject of your kneeling....you could mention that, while kneeling for communion is permissible, people coming up for a "blessing" is not permissible...

I don't know where this is addressed but I'm sure someone could provide a reference...

Peace
James

Seems to me some of the laity like to push the priest resolve when kneeling to request a blessing. Why doesn't a parish priest nip this in the bud by addressing this non-sanctioned practice from the Ambo? The laity in the congregation go up to receive Holy Communion not a blessing. Personally; I think its rude and disruptive. If a person wants a blessing why don't they ask for one while greeting the priest at the end of Mass at the exit doors. I'm sure priests who do bless people coming up is because they don't want to cause hard feelings.
Old Feb 25, '12, 4:25 am

I always kneel at the rail at EF Masses to receive Communion. I've only knelt one time at an OF Mass but it is because they have a rail at the church, and the priest prefers to give out Communion that way. I could not kneel for Communion without a rail nearby due to my size and bad knees.
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:25 am

Keep receiving the sacred flesh, blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord and Saviour kneeling and on the tongue. Don't let anyone put you off. Look to the example of Our Holy Father. A good read is Dominus Est (It Is The Lord) by Bishop Athanasius Schneider, you could give this Priest a copy! I genuflect when receiving the Lord but don't kneel, so I receive the sacred host on the tongue while frozen in a genuflection, maybe this is quicker.

But remember that by your example of piety could inspire others. For example there might be a poorly catechized teenager who thinks they "get bread" in the communion line. They might see you and wonder why someone would kneel to simply get "bread". Then they might research the Blessed Sacrament and discover the Real Presence.

Saint Anthony of Padua - Pray For Us
Saint Maria Goretti - Pray For Us
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurionguard View Post
Seems to me some of the laity like to push the priest resolve when kneeling to request a blessing. Why doesn't a parish priest nip this in the bud by addressing this non-sanctioned practice from the Ambo? The laity in the congregation go up to receive Holy Communion not a blessing. Personally; I think its rude and disruptive. If a person wants a blessing why don't they ask for one while greeting the priest at the end of Mass at the exit doors. I'm sure priests who do bless people coming up is because they don't want to cause hard feelings.

Please see the 'sticky' at the top of the column, especially continuing on to read the latest information. The situation is by no means as cut-and-dried as you suggest.

Indeed, in some countries, for example England and Wales, those not receiving are explicitly encouraged officially by the relevant Archbishops to come for a blessing. The Archbishops' Office has confirmed to another poster that Rome is aware of the practice, and has not objected.

I think many posters confuse two issues : the giving of blessings by EMHC - not allowed, except as a general 'God bless you', such as one might say to a neighbour - and blessings as given by clergy, and condemn both of them.

I have never seen a priest 'forced' to give a blessing because of a person coming forward in the communion line. But I have times without number heard priests invite non-Catholics/those not receiving for whatever reason to come forward, especially at funerals.
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:50 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwight66 View Post
Please see the 'sticky' at the top of the column, especially continuing on to read the latest information. The situation is by no means as cut-and-dried as you suggest.

Indeed, in some countries, for example England and Wales, those not receiving are explicitly encouraged officially by the relevant Archbishops to come for a blessing. The Archbishops' Office has confirmed to another poster that Rome is aware of the practice, and has not objected.

I think many posters confuse two issues : the giving of blessings by EMHC - not allowed, except as a general 'God bless you', such as one might say to a neighbour - and blessings as given by clergy.
My apologies; I never read the sticky. I suppose every diocese has its own directives concerning this issue. Unless the occasion was Saint Blaise or a communal celebration of the Sacrament of the Sick held in the Church I've never walked up the aisle to receive a blessing from a priest in lieu of "not" feeling right about myself about receiving Holy Communion unworthily.
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:58 am
Banned

We don't have to receive communion every week.
I attend OF 3 times a month and once a month go to EF.
I therefore receive kneeling and on the tongue once a month.
I recognise the OF as being a valid mass of course. I would be quite happy to receive communion at an OF mass if the holy sacrament was reverently dispensed.
Old Feb 25, '12, 11:37 am

Have you tried calling him on it? Approach him and say something like, "Father, I couldn't help but notice every time I receive communion from you, you roll your eyes. I'm concerned it's directed at me, and therefore I find it distracting and taking away from my ability to receive our Lord reverently and with the proper inward disposition. May I ask why you do this? Do you have some sort of an ocular muscle problem that I should pray for you to overcome?"

Doing something like this is usually enough to get people to stop doing it.
Old Feb 25, '12, 11:39 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias42 View Post
Have you tried calling him on it? Approach him and say something like, "Father, I couldn't help but notice every time I receive communion from you, you roll your eyes. I'm concerned it's directed at me, and therefore I find it distracting and taking away from my ability to receive our Lord reverently and with the proper inward disposition. May I ask why you do this Do you have some sort of an ocular muscle problem that I should pray for you to overcome?"

Doing something like this is usually enough to get people to stop doing it.
That's really good advice.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments