Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 25, '12, 12:19 pm

Religion: Catholic Professed Lay-Carmelite
Default Re: Kneeling while receiving Communion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape11 View Post
I am new to Traditional Catholicism but I love what I'm learning about my faith and how it was before V2. Recently, I started veiling at Mass and kneeling while receiving the Eucharist. However, I attend a Novus Ordo Mass, my priest is not very conservative and I'm the only one who does this. Each and every time I go up for Communion, my priest roles his eyes. I asked him if it were ok, before I started doing it and he didn't say "no" but he didn't say "yes" either. He gave me a long lecture of how it holds up the line and how we have a lot of people and he made me feel like I'm adding so much extra time to the whole Mass by my choice of reverence. I'm not doing it to be "holier than thou", I just want to do it because I am approaching and receiving the King of Kings and He deserves at least that amount of respect.

The reason I'm not putting this in the Traditional Catholic forum is because I know how they will respond but I want to hear from other priest or lay people. Am I wrong to do it in NO mass? Also, I don't go to the Trinidine Mass every weekend because its about 2 hours from me and I can't afford the gas price right now.... trust me, I would if I could.
The "norm for receiving" in the U.S. is standing.
A local church, that I attend, has 600-700 communicants on a given weekend. There is one that kneels, only one and he waits until the end or near to the end to receive. He blends in rather than stands out.
If you try this your priest may change his attitude towards you, as this clearly seems to have upset you.

Last tuesday morning mass, at a different church , we utilized the communion rail: at last nights mass all knelt on marble steps, no rail. Last nights mass was at a monastery, no rails.
All three masses were in the ordinary form, one ad-orientum, two ad populum.
If you want to cover your head do so, many have continued that practise.
If you want to kneel do so, just do not trip the person in front of you., not a pretty site.
Old Feb 25, '12, 12:31 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas jd View Post
The "norm for receiving" in the U.S. is standing.
A local church, that I attend, has 600-700 communicants on a given weekend. There is one that kneels, only one and he waits until the end or near to the end to receive. He blends in rather than stands out.
If you try this your priest may change his attitude towards you, as this clearly seems to have upset you.
Nonsense. While the norm in the US is standing, the universal norm is kneeling, and on the tongue. The OP is not doing anything wrong, and has every right to receive whilst kneeling. It's not the OP's concern the priest has issues with it. This nonsense about it "holding up the line" is absurd. I'm willing to best dollars to donuts that at the OP's parish they permit blessings during communion, which holds up the communion line far more than one person receiving communion kneeling. I'm also willing to bet that they receive under both species at this parish. This unnecessarily holds up communion, as communicants are receiving the exact thing they received under the species of bread alone. They're not getting anymore Jesus by receiving under both species. Furthermore, I know most communicants who receive kneeling forgo receiving under both kinds because it's simply too awkward to receive from the chalice while kneeling, so essentially they're not taking up anymore time in the communion line.

Personally, I think communion lines are moving too fast and turning into a hurry and get through it so we can be out in an hour communion line.
Old Feb 25, '12, 12:52 pm

Religion: ~~Catholic~~

My priest does allow blessings to be given out during Communion and we also have both the Body and Blood to receive, if we want.
Old Feb 25, '12, 2:11 pm

Quote:
My priest does allow blessings to be given out during Communion and we also have both the Body and Blood to receive, if we want.

Likewise in ours.

It was good advice from an earlier poster to go either at the start or the end of the line, if one wishes to receive kneeling. I would suggest at the end is best, as I remember a blind lady falling when she tripped over the legs of someone who suddenly knelt. It's much safer and more considerate to kneel only if there is nobody behind, imo.
Old Feb 25, '12, 3:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwight66 View Post
Likewise in ours.

It was good advice from an earlier poster to go either at the start or the end of the line, if one wishes to receive kneeling. I would suggest at the end is best, as I remember a blind lady falling when she tripped over the legs of someone who suddenly knelt. It's much safer and more considerate to kneel only if there is nobody behind, imo.
Very rarely will a blind person be behind you, if they are, you'll know and can act accordingly. I have never had anyone trip over me, nor have I seen anyone ever be tripped over who chose to kneel. Even my absent-minded brother who never goes to Mass, and had no idea that I even kneel to receive (probably has no clue this is even an option) managed not to trip over me when I knelt and received from my bishop who was more than happy to give me communion whilst kneeling. He also didn't say anything after Mass when I was talking to him about how I shouldn't kneel if there are people behind me. Honestly, kneeling to receive is not this huge thing that priests and people make it out to be.
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurionguard View Post
Seems to me some of the laity like to push the priest resolve when kneeling to request a blessing. Why doesn't a parish priest nip this in the bud by addressing this non-sanctioned practice from the Ambo? The laity in the congregation go up to receive Holy Communion not a blessing. Personally; I think its rude and disruptive. If a person wants a blessing why don't they ask for one while greeting the priest at the end of Mass at the exit doors. I'm sure priests who do bless people coming up is because they don't want to cause hard feelings.
I have a funny tid bit regarding the blessing at Communion deal.

I had my toddler daughter at Mass with me without my wife so I had to carry her up when I went to receive. Knowing that the blessing at Communion isn't really appropriate, I received then proceded to walk away- as the Priest begins pronouncing a blessing over my daughter, so I turned around mid-stride as he finished. I felt like a jerk, even knowing I didn't do anything wrong.

On a side note, in the Maronite Rite, the blessing of children in the communion line is appropriate. The priest puts the ciborium over the child's head and says something. A neat tradition anyway.

"tough love thy neighbor as thyself. Get your own loaves and fishes!"- Stephen Colbert
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:20 pm

Religion: Catholic Professed Lay-Carmelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo Gratias42 View Post
Nonsense. While the norm in the US is standing, the universal norm is kneeling, and on the tongue. The OP is not doing anything wrong, and has every right to receive whilst kneeling. It's not the OP's concern the priest has issues with it. This nonsense about it "holding up the line" is absurd. I'm willing to best dollars to donuts that at the OP's parish they permit blessings during communion, which holds up the communion line far more than one person receiving communion kneeling. I'm also willing to bet that they receive under both species at this parish. This unnecessarily holds up communion, as communicants are receiving the exact thing they received under the species of bread alone. They're not getting anymore Jesus by receiving under both species. Furthermore, I know most communicants who receive kneeling forgo receiving under both kinds because it's simply too awkward to receive from the chalice while kneeling, so essentially they're not taking up anymore time in the communion line.

Personally, I think communion lines are moving too fast and turning into a hurry and get through it so we can be out in an hour communion line.
What are you talking about! Reread my post .
Nonsence indeed!!.
Old Feb 25, '12, 8:55 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

The General Instruction of the Roman Missal states:

160. The priest then takes the paten or ciborium and goes to the communicants, who, as a rule, approach in a procession.
The faithful are not permitted to take the consecrated bread or the sacred chalice by themselves and, still less, to hand them from one to another. The norm for reception of Holy Communion in the dioceses of the United States is standing. Communicants should not be denied Holy Communion because they kneel. Rather, such instances should be addressed pastorally, by providing the faithful with proper catechesis on the reasons for this norm.
When receiving Holy Communion, the communicant bows his or her head before the Sacrament as a gesture of reverence and receives the Body of the Lord from the minister. The consecrated host may be received either on the tongue or in the hand, at the discretion of each communicant. When Holy Communion is received under both kinds, the sign of reverence is also made before receiving the Precious Blood.

There are a few people in our parish that kneel, they do so near the end. I prefer to kneel myself, but without a communion rail, my knees won't let me do that anymore
Old Feb 25, '12, 9:27 pm

Religion: Catholic, through and through

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKH View Post
Regardless - the choice is yours - You can receive kneeling out of great Love and reverence for the Eucharist, but out of "step" with common practice at your parish, OR you can submit to your pastor, who is your local shepherd, and receive standing.
Or, you can submit to your holy father, who is both the Shepard of you and said pastor, and receive kneeling.
Old Feb 26, '12, 4:34 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringil View Post
I have a funny tid bit regarding the blessing at Communion deal.

I had my toddler daughter at Mass with me without my wife so I had to carry her up when I went to receive. Knowing that the blessing at Communion isn't really appropriate, I received then proceded to walk away- as the Priest begins pronouncing a blessing over my daughter, so I turned around mid-stride as he finished. I felt like a jerk, even knowing I didn't do anything wrong.

On a side note, in the Maronite Rite, the blessing of children in the communion line is appropriate. The priest puts the ciborium over the child's head and says something. A neat tradition anyway.

I've witnessed as a common practice (though not always) when many parents, mothers going up the aisle to receive Holy Communion with their infants or toddlers in their arms and the priest will pause shortly to bless the children on their forehead. The mother of the child didn't specifically request this though I think its a heartwarming freewill gesture on behalf of the priest. Is it different though in hindsight with a Catholic "adult" though, who has ("No") intention of receiving Holy Communion and requesting the priest bless him/her during a most awe-inspiring respectable moment upon reception of the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of our Lord?

In Ecclesiastes Chapter 3 it states there is a time for everything. Every part of centering, contemplating on the Eucharistic Liturgy, the entire Mass takes on a profound symbolic meaning all for the Glory of God.
Old Feb 26, '12, 8:01 am

I have the joy of being able to hear Holy Mass in the Tridentine Rite here in Normandie every Sunday where everyone, bar an old lady who has bad knees, kneels and receives on the tongue.
Since I was a child I have always kept the image of the three children of Fatima copying the Angel, prostrating themselves before the Blessed Sacrament, their God and their King. If that is the way an Angel of Heaven behaves in the Presence of the Lord, then I think it's a pretty clear lesson for us.
Old Feb 26, '12, 9:22 am
Prayer Warrior

I know people who receive Communion kneeling at the NO... I wish this custom would come back. That's one of the things I love about the Latin Mass when I can go there.

I wish I had a good answer for the OP but I'm sort of wondering that too. I haven't yet tried this at the NO yet but I'm just wondering in general.

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Feb 26, '12, 9:29 am

Religion: ~~Catholic~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurionguard View Post
I've witnessed as a common practice (though not always) when many parents, mothers going up the aisle to receive Holy Communion with their infants or toddlers in their arms and the priest will pause shortly to bless the children on their forehead. The mother of the child didn't specifically request this though I think its a heartwarming freewill gesture on behalf of the priest. Is it different though in hindsight with a Catholic "adult" though, who has ("No") intention of receiving Holy Communion and requesting the priest bless him/her during a most awe-inspiring respectable moment upon reception of the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of our Lord?

In Ecclesiastes Chapter 3 it states there is a time for everything. Every part of centering, contemplating on the Eucharistic Liturgy, the entire Mass takes on a profound symbolic meaning all for the Glory of God.
I think that was an argument in another thread, not this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth51 View Post
The General Instruction of the Roman Missal states:

160. The priest then takes the paten or ciborium and goes to the communicants, who, as a rule, approach in a procession.
The faithful are not permitted to take the consecrated bread or the sacred chalice by themselves and, still less, to hand them from one to another. The norm for reception of Holy Communion in the dioceses of the United States is standing. Communicants should not be denied Holy Communion because they kneel. Rather, such instances should be addressed pastorally, by providing the faithful with proper catechesis on the reasons for this norm.
When receiving Holy Communion, the communicant bows his or her head before the Sacrament as a gesture of reverence and receives the Body of the Lord from the minister. The consecrated host may be received either on the tongue or in the hand, at the discretion of each communicant. When Holy Communion is received under both kinds, the sign of reverence is also made before receiving the Precious Blood.

There are a few people in our parish that kneel, they do so near the end. I prefer to kneel myself, but without a communion rail, my knees won't let me do that anymore
I bow my head at his name but in His presence, I will fall to my knees. I just don't see why my priest seems so put out by it. I'm not going to change, I feel called to do it.
Old Feb 26, '12, 4:45 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

I also recommend waiting until the end of the line, simply to not upset your priest. I do genuflect before receiving, but do not kneel at the moment of receiving. I do think we all need to be very aware of why we chose to do what we do and to take our own priest's advice or even preferences strongly into consideration.
Old Feb 26, '12, 5:01 pm

Quote:
I am new to Traditional Catholicism but I love what I'm learning about my faith and how it was before V2. Recently, I started veiling at Mass and kneeling while receiving the Eucharist. However, I attend a Novus Ordo Mass, my priest is not very conservative and I'm the only one who does this. Each and every time I go up for Communion, my priest roles his eyes. I asked him if it were ok, before I started doing it and he didn't say "no" but he didn't say "yes" either. He gave me a long lecture of how it holds up the line and how we have a lot of people and he made me feel like I'm adding so much extra time to the whole Mass by my choice of reverence. I'm not doing it to be "holier than thou", I just want to do it because I am approaching and receiving the King of Kings and He deserves at least that amount of respect.

The reason I'm not putting this in the Traditional Catholic forum is because I know how they will respond but I want to hear from other priest or lay people. Am I wrong to do it in NO mass? Also, I don't go to the Trinidine Mass every weekend because its about 2 hours from me and I can't afford the gas price right now.... trust me, I would if I could.

Please allow me, with respect, to inject a question of practicality: I absolutely understand that the Church permits Communion while kneeling. My question concerns whether your particular church is set up in a way to safely allow this. If there is no rail, or prie-dieu to structure the kneeling, I believe there are valid concerns with someone kneeling in the aisle and potentially being a tripping hazard to those around them who aren't keeling and who don't expect to navigate around someone who is. That would be my possible issue. I distribute Communion and have given the Eucharist to someone who drops to their knees in front of me, and have experienced those kind of issues with people behind that person and in the parallel Communion line. Perhaps it's less an issue with the possible "conservatism" of your priest, than concerns such as this.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments