Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 25, '12, 12:07 am

Religion: Roman Catholic for centuries
Default Can one be Catholic AND Evangelical Christian?

I know that you have to be evangelical to be Catholic, because one needs to believe in the Gospel (Evangelio). But my question is: Can one be Roman Catholic and Evangelical Christian (that is, from the Protestant denomination)?

I ask because although I attend Mass on Saturday afternoons, I'm also beginning to attend my wife's Evangelical center on Sundays, mainly to accompany her. But I seem to agree with most of what the Pastor says. In another thread, an Anglican sister said that Roman Catholics and Protestants have about 90 percent or so the same beliefs (The Trinity, The Holy Bible, etc.).

I agree with her.
Old Feb 25, '12, 1:40 am

Default Re: Can one be Catholic AND Evangelical Christian?

Not to sound uncharitable but absolutely not. You should be trying to bring your wife into your Catholic faith where she might experience Christ in full! And not the best intentioned yet watered down version of Christianity found in protestant faiths (no offense to anyone who might take umbrage with this). If you are letting her faith override your Catholic faith then you are possibly in danger of sinning mortally. I would speak to a Priest about it right away. Good luck and God Bless! May the Holy Spirit guide your wife into the Truth that is Christ's Holy Catholic Church
Old Feb 25, '12, 1:44 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Billy Graham is a well-known evangelical (Baptist) minister who may ALSO officially call himself a "Catholic theologian." That's because he received an honorary degree in theology form Bellmont University near his hometown of Charlotte, NC (at the time, Bellmont was a Catholic seminary, and was empowered to award such honorary degrees).

Oddly enough, the Catholic Church recognizes many "Catholic theologians" who have never been formally admitted to the Catholic Church. These people maintain their status provided they never teach any doctrine which is explicitly contrary to the Catholic Faith. There are even professed Jews who are regarded as "Catholic theologians" and who teach in Catholic seminaries.

But, while it is possible to be a "Catholic theologian" and not be actually a Catholic, it is not possible to be a Catholic while not actually being a Catholic. These non-Catholic theologians are, umm, non-Catholic. The only way to be a Catholic is to be, umm, Catholic (100% - not 90% or 99.99%).

Hooray!
Old Feb 25, '12, 1:56 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic Church, Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloSD View Post
I know that you have to be evangelical to be Catholic, because one needs to believe in the Gospel (Evangelio). But my question is: Can one be Roman Catholic and Evangelical Christian (that is, from the Protestant denomination)?

I ask because although I attend Mass on Saturday afternoons, I'm also beginning to attend my wife's Evangelical center on Sundays, mainly to accompany her. But I seem to agree with most of what the Pastor says. In another thread, an Anglican sister said that Roman Catholics and Protestants have about 90 percent or so the same beliefs (The Trinity, The Holy Bible, etc.).

I agree with her.
There are Evangelical Catholics.
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:04 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Anglican

Quote:

I agree with her.
controversal to some but I believe, you can be whatever you want to be - believe. We like to give ourselves labels to help identify with each other more. You will be more enriched in faith as you let your faith grow via other experiences. Though word of warning. You agree with that the pastor says which is fair enough. But don't be fooled as such. Learn what the Evangelical Christian is taught to think as such too. And try not to be sucked in by his selling technique..... Find out what they really do. And as an Anglican sister yes, we do believe a lot of the same but as a strong church of Engalnd Anglican whilst it may look the same on surface our philosphy, judging from this website at least can be quite different and a lot will depend on if the Anglican Priest is really a 'wanna-be' Roman Catholic but wont cross the 'floor' for whatever reason. But we are all catholic
I wonder how many here know what catholic means.....
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:28 am
Veteran Member
Greeter

Religion: Catholic Convert
Send a message via MSN to LegoGE1947 Send a message via Yahoo to LegoGE1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick333 View Post
Not to sound uncharitable but absolutely not. You should be trying to bring your wife into your Catholic faith where she might experience Christ in full! And not the best intentioned yet watered down version of Christianity found in protestant faiths (no offense to anyone who might take umbrage with this). If you are letting her faith override your Catholic faith then you are possibly in danger of sinning mortally. I would speak to a Priest about it right away. Good luck and God Bless! May the Holy Spirit guide your wife into the Truth that is Christ's Holy Catholic Church
I am having the same issue with my wife. We both converted from being evangelical protestants in 2002. but more recently she has grown tired of Catholicism and won't go with me to Mass! Yesterday I found she had put a whole bunch of her Catholic literature on my desk and has gone back to reading a Protestant Bible and watching Protestant shows on TV. I feel betrayed but I don't WANT to be a protestant for ANYTHING! So I go to Mass by myself. I pray the rosary and divine mercy chaplet by myself, I am observing Lent by myself. etc, etc, etc.)
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:30 am
Banned

Religion: Born Again

Sure it's the same Jesus..We won't be getting to heaven because on the name on the building we go to worship Him..It's all about becoming reborn in Him. We each individually mature in our walk by drawing closer to Him in obedience..This can be done
by any believer no matter what the name on the door of the building that we go to worship Him..When we stand before Christ and our works are judged it won't matter one bit what the name of the church was we attended but that we served Christ being obedient to Him in all our word and deed..Frankly I am in my sixties and most of that reborn in Christ..I lived/worked for most of my life around catholics...In all that time I was NEVER approached by a catholic christian to tell how I can trust in Christ and be born anew. It was always just bible christians or JW's. It would be wonderful to have more evangelical focused catholics..It's all the same Jesus.

John 3:3
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:44 am
Veteran Member
Greeter

Religion: Catholic Convert
Send a message via MSN to LegoGE1947 Send a message via Yahoo to LegoGE1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_in_ Him View Post
Sure it's the same Jesus..We won't be getting to heaven because on the name on the building we go to worship Him..It's all about becoming reborn in Him. We each individually mature in our walk by drawing closer to Him in obedience..This can be done
by any believer no matter what the name on the door of the building that we go to worship Him..When we stand before Christ and our works are judged it won't matter one bit what the name of the church was we attended but that we served Christ being obedient to Him in all our word and deed..Frankly I am in my sixties and most of that reborn in Christ..I lived/worked for most of my life around catholics...In all that time I was NEVER approached by a catholic christian to tell how I can trust in Christ and be born anew. It was always just bible christians or JW's. It would be wonderful to have more evangelical focused catholics..It's all the same Jesus.

John 3:3
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God
If you have access to satellite radio you should tune to XM or Sirius 129 in the morning and listen to "Gus Lloyd" on the Catholic Channel. You want an "evangelical Catholic"? This guy is on fire for Jesus!
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:50 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoGE1947 View Post
If you have access to satellite radio you should tune to XM or Sirius 129 in the morning and listen to "Gus Lloyd" on the Catholic Channel. You want an "evangelical Catholic"? This guy is on fire for Jesus!
Kool, I don't have Sirius but this world needs to here about Jesus in these last days
no matter if it's catholic, protestant or orthodox..We ALL need too be ready in season and out to be able to share of the hope we have within us..God bless you dear brother in Christ..
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:17 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Pablo,

As some have pointed out, one can be "evangelical" as a Catholic; but asking whether you can be both Catholic and Protestant just doesn't work...

Quote:
I ask because although I attend Mass on Saturday afternoons
Is this the anticipated Mass for Sunday, or is this the Saturday daily Mass? (It makes a big difference...!)

Quote:
But I seem to agree with most of what the Pastor says.
Does the pastor believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist? Does he believe that sacramental reconciliation is possible? What does he believe about baptism -- does it forgive sins? (The parts that he doesn't believe in -- especially if you're not hearing about what he doesn't believe, when he speaks from the pulpit -- is huge!)

Quote:
In another thread, an Anglican sister said that Roman Catholics and Protestants have about 90 percent or so the same beliefs (The Trinity, The Holy Bible, etc.).

I agree with her.
Humans and chimps have about 96 percent or so the same DNA. Does that mean that you can be both 'human' and 'chimpanzee'?
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:40 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
But my question is: Can one be Roman Catholic and Evangelical Christian (that is, from the Protestant denomination)?
No.

What you can be is a Catholic who attends an Evangelical ecclesial community with his wife.

However, since your wife is not actually an Evangelical but rather a Catholic who has recently rejected the faith in favor of this false church I think that is a very bad idea as it encourages her in her this very grave matter.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 25, '12, 11:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
However, since your wife is not actually an Evangelical but rather a Catholic who has recently rejected the faith in favor of this false church I think that is a very bad idea as it encourages her in her this very grave matter.
I believe you have confused LegoGE1947 post with pabloSD OP.
pablo said his wife was Evangelical.
Lego said his wife converted but went back.
Old Feb 25, '12, 11:28 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
I believe you have confused LegoGE1947 post with pabloSD OP.
pablo said his wife was Evangelical.
Lego said his wife converted but went back.
No. I have not confuse anyone with anyone else.

On this thread, Pablo explains that he and his wife are cradle Catholics and that his wife has just recently been sucked in by this evangelical church and disposed of all their religious sacramentals such as statuary, Our Lady of Guadalupe picture, etc., calling them idolatry.

I think it is a VERY bad idea for Pablo to support her in this in any way, and that includes going to the church with her, which gives the impression he approves.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 25, '12, 12:26 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic for centuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
No. I have not confuse anyone with anyone else.

On this thread, Pablo explains that he and his wife are cradle Catholics and that his wife has just recently been sucked in by this evangelical church and disposed of all their religious sacramentals such as statuary, Our Lady of Guadalupe picture, etc., calling them idolatry.

I think it is a VERY bad idea for Pablo to support her in this in any way, and that includes going to the church with her, which gives the impression he approves.
Yes, that's me... Right now I just don't want to cause any "religious wars" in our house.
She knows that I will remain in the Church, and that I will continue attending Mass.
I will leave this in the Lord's hands.
Old Feb 25, '12, 12:34 pm
Banned

Quote:
I will leave this in the Lord's hands.
Very wise...Focus on loving her as Christ loves the church and gave himself up for it...
God knows what each of you need to mature you in Him..Remember Christ can work through her as well as He can work through you. Grace and peace to you..

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics