Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 25, '12, 1:11 am

Religion: Catholic
Default I'm having trouble with prayer and my faith

I have never doubted the existence of God and I have always prayed and trusted him.

Lately, I think I am going through what the saints call, a "dark night of the soul."

Lately, I have found myself praying for myself, that I will have an increase in holiness, thanking God for all that I have been given and asking him for guidance and virtues.

I have also been praying for my former best friend and an ex girlfriend. She has left the church, and is battling anti social tendencies, emotional and anger issues, and what may be depression. It also troubles me that we did not leave on good terms.

I have been praying for another former friend. He was never religious, but he has become quite obnoxious, rude, selfish and has embraced new age, neopaganism while continuing to slam Christianity.

He knows of my beliefs and I have told him that I find it uncomfortable when he does this, but he continues to jump at the chance to mock Christianity or discuss various conspiracy theories about the government and the church (Hitler was a practicing Catholic, the Pope is a dictator, etc.).

He has been my friend since Kindergarten, but hanging out with him is an exercise in patience and a source of constant headaches. All I can do is pray for him.

I have also been praying for two uncles and an aunt that have left the Church.

Lately, I have been fighting feelings of despair when I begin to pray. Whenever I begin to pray, I sometimes feel like my prayers aren't going to matter or be answered, that God has something else in mind and I'm wasting my time.

Whenever I begin praying for them, I begin to feel stressed and hopeless, impatient. At times, I feel like giving up, that it would be easy to say one prayer and move on with my life.

I know this isn't true. I know God hears all our prayers and answers them in some way. I know I must always pray for sinners and that with faith and virtue, God will act.

These feelings, though, are constantly appearing during prayer. It feels like prayer itself is becoming my cross to bear. It is becoming increasingly stressful just to pray, especially for these two people, but I am .

I'm not giving up, but I need your prayers, for myself and these two people, for God's mercy, for virtues, for conversion, and for unwavering faith in the Lord. I have been praying to the Blessed Virgin, the Saints (particularly St. Jude, St. Jerome, St. Faustina, and St. Anthony) as well

I've been reading the Diary of Sister Faustina and it has been helping. Also, does anyone else have anything to say? Advice, thoughts?

God bless you all.

Last edited by brokenplates1; Feb 25, '12 at 1:23 am.
Old Feb 25, '12, 1:59 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default Re: I'm having trouble with prayer and my faith

Praying for you and your intentions.
Old Feb 25, '12, 2:09 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic Church, Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenplates1 View Post
I have never doubted the existence of God and I have always prayed and trusted him.

Lately, I think I am going through what the saints call, a "dark night of the soul."

Lately, I have found myself praying for myself, that I will have an increase in holiness, thanking God for all that I have been given and asking him for guidance and virtues.

I have also been praying for my former best friend and an ex girlfriend. She has left the church, and is battling anti social tendencies, emotional and anger issues, and what may be depression. It also troubles me that we did not leave on good terms.

I have been praying for another former friend. He was never religious, but he has become quite obnoxious, rude, selfish and has embraced new age, neopaganism while continuing to slam Christianity.

He knows of my beliefs and I have told him that I find it uncomfortable when he does this, but he continues to jump at the chance to mock Christianity or discuss various conspiracy theories about the government and the church (Hitler was a practicing Catholic, the Pope is a dictator, etc.).

He has been my friend since Kindergarten, but hanging out with him is an exercise in patience and a source of constant headaches. All I can do is pray for him.

Lately, I have been fighting feelings of despair when I begin to pray. Whenever I begin to pray, I sometimes feel like my prayers aren't going to matter or be answered, that God has something else in mind and I'm wasting my time.

Whenever I begin praying for them, I begin to feel stressed and hopeless, impatient. At times, I feel like giving up, that it would be easy to say one prayer and move on with my life.

I know this isn't true. I know God hears all our prayers and answers them in some way. I know I must always pray for sinners and that with faith and virtue, God will act.

These feelings, though, are constantly appearing during prayer. It feels like prayer itself is becoming my cross to bear. It is becoming increasingly stressful just to pray, especially for these two people, but I am .

I'm not giving up, but I need your prayers, for myself and these two people, for God's mercy, for virtues, for conversion, and for unwavering faith in the Lord. I have been praying to the Blessed Virgin, the Saints (particularly St. Jude, St. Jerome, St. Faustina, and St. Anthony) as well

I've been reading the Diary of Sister Faustina and it has been helping. Also, does anyone else have anything to say? Advice, thoughts?

God bless you all.
Nothing to say. No advices.
You are in the middle off s storm. Storms are to be dealt with. Storms are not easy to face like when the sea in plane blue and there are no waves.
Relax, if you can, and think that in the middle of the hurricane in you're in God's hands...
Old Feb 25, '12, 3:35 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Petrine Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to Inego de Loyola

The Hebrew name for the Devil is translated as the adversary; this is not a foe in battle but in court. Christ revealed the answer to this prosecutor in the Holy Spirit who Christ called the advocate which is a defense attorney. Right now the charge brought against you seems to be that if god only will let his grace be withdrawn enough that praying seems hopeless you will be brought to despair and cease your petitions. Pray then that the advocate assist you to defeat this charge. I will recommend you to my patron saints, and I pray you receive the grace to persevere.
..A
JMJ
..D
..G

Sincerely,
Iggy
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:19 am

Keep praying relentlessly. It's the evil one interfering with your faith. God is more powerful than any evil. Keep your faith, and after your prayer, put all your trust in God's promise, and put it in His hands. His will be done.

I will pray for you and your friends.
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:05 am
Prayer Warrior

Everyone else has given good feedback and advice. Just remember that everyone of faith, including and especially the saints have had trials in their faith. This is your time.

One humble piece of advice would be to practice works of mercy. Sometimes, doing something for someone else who is more needy is helpful (and imitates our Lord as well).

God bless,
Bryan

I believe one of God's most under-appreciated gifts to us is the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
Old Feb 25, '12, 7:16 am

Hi brokenplates1!

Read St. Faustina's Diary entry 786 where God's grace has become a burden for her. Perhaps you'll get encouraged more to just go on and trust in God. There really comes a time when we experience dryness and darkness and uncertainty but we just have to trust the Lord that He will see us through our ordeals. Remember His words: "Be still and know that I am God! Psalm 46:10

For your friends, I suggest you offer the Chaplet of Mercy for them coupled with reparation on their behalf just what Mother Mary asked for at Fatima. It worked for me when a Seventh-day Adventist friend of mine joined the Freemasons. Actually, I gave up praying for him but God didn't stop when I stopped praying but used other people to nudge him away from Freemasonry, and just when I thought my friend is already lost, he approached me and said he wanted out of the group. Then I was able to explain why its wrong to join the Freemasons. Its as if the Lord led him to me to let my friend know His truth. The next morning, he gave up being a Freemason and left them. He even,occasionally, attends Catholic Mass. To God be the Glory and may His unfathomable mercy be praised!!!
Old Feb 25, '12, 10:17 am

Thank you everyone. I have rarely had trouble praying for myself, because I knew that whatever happens, happens and that God would answer my prayers in some way.

But I noticed this trouble started when I began praying for others. Because I am praying for other people who have left the church and are facing turmoil in their personal lives, I sometimes feel hopeless, impatient and that my prayers aren't being answered.

At times, I'm tempted to say one simple blanket prayer for all of them, then just move on and hope for the best. But I can't just stop praying for them.

This article by Deacon Doug McManaman also helped a lot, and I recommend anyone going through what I'm going through read it as well.

"Do not seek your Kingdom of Heaven on Earth."
http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/mcm/mcm_96heaven.html
Old Feb 25, '12, 10:29 am
Prayer Warrior

Memorare (Prayer to Our Lady)
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me. Amen
Old Feb 25, '12, 10:08 pm

Thank you everyone. I have rarely had trouble praying for myself, because I knew that whatever happens, happens and that God would answer my prayers in some way.

But I noticed this trouble started when I began praying for others. Because I am praying for other people who have left the church and are facing turmoil in their personal lives, I sometimes feel hopeless, impatient and that my prayers aren't being answered.

At times, I'm tempted to say one simple blanket prayer for all of them, then just move on and hope for the best. But I can't just stop praying for them.

This article by Deacon Doug McManaman also helped a lot, and I recommend anyone going through what I'm going through read it as well.

"Do not seek your Kingdom of Heaven on Earth."
http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/mcm/mcm_96heaven.html
Old Feb 25, '12, 10:18 pm

Smile Re: I'm having trouble with prayer and my faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenplates1 View Post

God bless you all.
One can only do so much when it comes to praying, and sometimes it can be frustrating to get a relationship to go in the direction you'd like it to.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions