Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:42 pm
MarieVeronica's Avatar
MarieVeronica MarieVeronica is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: December 8, 2007
Posts: 4,292
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

Adults, teens and children.. wearing this symbol.. the so-called "Peace Sign".



.. and I just have to wonder why it is that people do not seem to know the origins of this symbol.

Parents, especially.. before you allow your precious children to wear items of clothing or jewelry, with this symbol.. please Google it, and do your research!

The origins of this symbol are not good. I just wanted to put this out there. It's up to you, parents.. to research this thing. Because it doesn't stand for "Peace".

God bless.
__________________
"..I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. CHOOSE LIFE, then, that you and your descendants may live.." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
PLEASE VISIT: http://www.facebook.com/priestsforlife.org


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:43 pm
Holly3278's Avatar
Holly3278 Holly3278 is offline
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 21, 2005
Posts: 18,940
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Re: I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

I wonder if it is some sort of "gay pride" symbol or something? I ask because it has rainbow colors in it. Perhaps you have a bunch of gay activists coming in to your church every week wearing these things as a sign of protest. If so, that is extremely disrespectful.
__________________


"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX


Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:46 pm
MarieVeronica's Avatar
MarieVeronica MarieVeronica is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: December 8, 2007
Posts: 4,292
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

No, Holly.. it doesn't stand for Gay Pride.. I just happened to pull a multi colored one out of Google Images. I'm not referring to the color of it. But the symbol, itself. It is widely regarded as standing for "Peace".

But if you Google "origins of the Peace Sign".. you will be shocked, at it's history. I have seen no Gay Pride Activists at my parish. But I do regularly see, young children.. teens and yes, even adults wearing items of clothing with this symbol.

It doesn't mean, what they think it means.. is the point I was trying to bring forward.
__________________
"..I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. CHOOSE LIFE, then, that you and your descendants may live.." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
PLEASE VISIT: http://www.facebook.com/priestsforlife.org


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:51 pm
Tarpeian Rock's Avatar
Tarpeian Rock Tarpeian Rock is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 17, 2010
Posts: 1,882
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

The "classic" peace symbol, which I believe originated in England in the 1950's, was a graphic representation of the semaphore signals for "ND" -- standing for "nuclear disarmament." Long before the whole rainbow / gay thing. Anything else is urban legend.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:10 pm
MarieVeronica's Avatar
MarieVeronica MarieVeronica is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: December 8, 2007
Posts: 4,292
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpeian Rock View Post
The "classic" peace symbol, which I believe originated in England in the 1950's, was a graphic representation of the semaphore signals for "ND" -- standing for "nuclear disarmament." Long before the whole rainbow / gay thing. Anything else is urban legend.
If you Google it, you will find out that it was in "use" before the 1950's. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the links I found, on this subject.

But there were some very "infamous" and evil people.. who used this symbol.. in years past. How it was ever adapted as a symbol of peace.. I don't know.

All I'm saying is, to parents.. research this thing.. before you allow your precious children to adorn themselves with it.
__________________
"..I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. CHOOSE LIFE, then, that you and your descendants may live.." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
PLEASE VISIT: http://www.facebook.com/priestsforlife.org


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:10 pm
Allegra's Avatar
Allegra Allegra is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 11, 2011
Posts: 5,409
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieVeronica View Post
Adults, teens and children.. wearing this symbol.. the so-called "Peace Sign".



.. and I just have to wonder why it is that people do not seem to know the origins of this symbol.

Parents, especially.. before you allow your precious children to wear items of clothing or jewelry, with this symbol.. please Google it, and do your research!

The origins of this symbol are not good. I just wanted to put this out there. It's up to you, parents.. to research this thing. Because it doesn't stand for "Peace".

God bless.
I am confident that the symbol is indeed a symbol for nuclear disarment. However, even if it has been used to signify other, more sinister messages, it is clear that its current and almost universal meaning is "peace". There's no harm in it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:16 pm
DeniseNY's Avatar
DeniseNY DeniseNY is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: November 30, 2011
Posts: 1,996
Religion: Byzantine Catholic ☦
Default Re: I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

I googled it. One lone site (which I didn't click on) said something about it being satanistic.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:28 pm
cmscms cmscms is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 6, 2009
Posts: 2,025
Default Re: I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

To the OP just curious but what is it's origins? I tried googling it and nothing offensive came up

CM
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:31 pm
anp1215's Avatar
anp1215 anp1215 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 31, 2010
Posts: 3,764
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

The peace symbol is on the very first page of "Little Black Book" of Lenten reflections for this year, distributed by the Diocese of Saginaw. It reads: "On this day in 1958, graphic artist and peace activist Gerald Herbert Holtom created the peace symbol. Holtom, who worked with the Direct Action Committee Against Nuclear War, said, "I drew myself: The representative of an individual in despair, with palms outstretched and downward in the manner of Goya's peasant before the firing squad." The symbol made its debut in England over Easter weekend in 1958 during a march against nuclear weapons. It was eventually picked up in the United States where it was used in civil rights marches and anti-war protests. This peace symbol is also sometimes called Nero's Cross, or St. Peter's Cross, depicting the upside down crucifixion of St. Peter."

So there you have it.
__________________

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:31 pm
Catholic1954 Catholic1954 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 9, 2008
Posts: 4,158
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieVeronica View Post
Adults, teens and children.. wearing this symbol.. the so-called "Peace Sign".



.. and I just have to wonder why it is that people do not seem to know the origins of this symbol.

Parents, especially.. before you allow your precious children to wear items of clothing or jewelry, with this symbol.. please Google it, and do your research!

The origins of this symbol are not good. I just wanted to put this out there. It's up to you, parents.. to research this thing. Because it doesn't stand for "Peace".

God bless.
It stood for peace back in the 60's! Just about every Viet Nam War protester wore one.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:32 pm
PerfectTiming's Avatar
PerfectTiming PerfectTiming is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: February 24, 2010
Posts: 4,767
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNY View Post
I googled it. One lone site (which I didn't click on) said something about it being satanistic.
There are many conspiracist groups that like to claim it's something more sinister than what it is. Same groups that go on about the Illuminati, New World Order, etc. It's all ridiculous.
__________________
If you can't be a good example, at least be a horrible warning.

My blog
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:35 pm
jannes jannes is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: February 16, 2011
Posts: 98
Religion: catholic
Default Re: I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

The Nazi cross was adap[ted from I believe the Jesuit scross
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:51 pm
faithfully's Avatar
faithfully faithfully is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 22, 2010
Posts: 2,590
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
The peace symbol is on the very first page of "Little Black Book" of Lenten reflections for this year, distributed by the Diocese of Saginaw. It reads: "On this day in 1958, graphic artist and peace activist Gerald Herbert Holtom created the peace symbol. Holtom, who worked with the Direct Action Committee Against Nuclear War, said, "I drew myself: The representative of an individual in despair, with palms outstretched and downward in the manner of Goya's peasant before the firing squad." The symbol made its debut in England over Easter weekend in 1958 during a march against nuclear weapons. It was eventually picked up in the United States where it was used in civil rights marches and anti-war protests. This peace symbol is also sometimes called Nero's Cross, or St. Peter's Cross, depicting the upside down crucifixion of St. Peter."

So there you have it.
LOL! I just grabbed my "little black book" to quote it.

Sorry, OP, but if this sign has ever meant anything negative it no longer does.

Kind of like how we Christians have taken the Cross to not be a symbol of evil.

As the execution on a cross was reserved for some major wrong doing. Certainly, our Lord was not deserving of such an evil way of execution.
__________________
Faithfully

...Make me a channel of your Peace... (This is the tune usually going through my head.)

Well, I could really use some but instead I'll just the day away...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:53 pm
anp1215's Avatar
anp1215 anp1215 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 31, 2010
Posts: 3,764
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfully View Post
LOL! I just grabbed my "little black book" to quote it.

Sorry, OP, but if this sign has ever meant anything negative it no longer does.

Kind of like how we Christians have taken the Cross to not be a symbol of evil.

As the execution on a cross was reserved for some major wrong doing. Certainly, our Lord was not deserving of such an evil way of execution.
I saved you the time! haha, yeah, I was like, hey I just read about this the other day...don't think they would have included it if it had any sinister meanings...
__________________

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Feb 25, '12, 6:55 pm
Bballer32's Avatar
Bballer32 Bballer32 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 22, 2011
Posts: 690
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: I see this, nearly every week at Mass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieVeronica View Post
No, Holly.. it doesn't stand for Gay Pride.. I just happened to pull a multi colored one out of Google Images. I'm not referring to the color of it. But the symbol, itself. It is widely regarded as standing for "Peace".

But if you Google "origins of the Peace Sign".. you will be shocked, at it's history. I have seen no Gay Pride Activists at my parish. But I do regularly see, young children.. teens and yes, even adults wearing items of clothing with this symbol.

It doesn't mean, what they think it means.. is the point I was trying to bring forward.
In one of the parades in my town, there was this small group of Gays and Lesbians walking with signs and wearing tshirts that had the "Rainbow Peace-Sign"

I think the original origin of this sign is horrible but that people are starting to use it (As Holly mentioned) to promote homosexuality. So, i also think you are experiencing protests.
__________________
"Priesthood is the love for the Heart of Jesus!" ~St. John Vianney.

"The unmarried man is anxious about the affairs of the Lord, how to please the Lord." (1 Cor. 7:32)

"Come follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Mat. 4:19
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8049Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: KayleighPigg
4829CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4295Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: James_OPL
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3813SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3377Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3184Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: libralion
3150Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2963For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: 4Jessie
2703Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:29 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.