Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 26, '12, 7:04 am
Banned

Religion: Faithless Catholic / Pascal Catholic
Default Mason secret.

Does anyone know what the big mason secret is? the one that makes it a rumored Satanic cult. I was under the impression that the Catholic Church under Rome was the only rite in which members are excommunicated for joining.( Big reason why I'm still a catholic)
I talked to a couple Masons I was friends with and they told me if I new what it was I would laugh because it was so easy to figure out.
Also I had a friend that had been out of the church for 30+ years and joined the Masons right before he retired, Then immediately quit going as he felt it contradicted Christ
Also most the people I know who where Masons; where also into wife swapping. Is that one of the fringe benifets of being a mason, sharing your wife with other men?
Cheers!
Old Feb 26, '12, 9:45 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Mason secret.

Masonry is immoral to join because it is a non-Catholic religion. It portrays itself as a secular men's group, so the church attached the stiff penalty of excommunication to discourage Catholics from joining. A Catholic in good standing could no more join the Masons than a Catholic could join a Methodist church. There isn't anything especially sinister about Masonry, at least modern Masonry, than that.
Old Feb 26, '12, 9:53 am

This might help:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...on-freemasonry

Quote:
"...the real name of the Great Architect is Jahbulon."
Old Feb 26, '12, 10:00 am

The Mason are no different from the Elks or the Knights of Columbus. There is a lot of conspiracy theory garbage about them, but it is just so much nonsense. They do a lot of great things like the Shriners hospitals. They are, of course, basically a pagan religion, which is why Catholics can't join them. They have their own deity called the Grand Architect, and they have magical rituals and so on. Whether or not the members of Freemasonry actually believe in it is another matter, but the rituals and dogma of Freemasonry are prima facie incompatible with Catholicism. But as a wise poster above pointed out, the same is true of Methodists, but we haven't got anything against them, right? Even though the Masons are a pagan religion, they deserve as much respect as any other non-Catholic charitable organization. Indulging in conspiracy theories helps no one.
Old Feb 26, '12, 10:02 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Latin rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessup View Post
Does anyone know what the big mason secret is? the one that makes it a rumored Satanic cult. I was under the impression that the Catholic Church under Rome was the only rite in which members are excommunicated for joining.( Big reason why I'm still a catholic)
I talked to a couple Masons I was friends with and they told me if I new what it was I would laugh because it was so easy to figure out.
Also I had a friend that had been out of the church for 30+ years and joined the Masons right before he retired, Then immediately quit going as he felt it contradicted Christ
Also most the people I know who where Masons; where also into wife swapping. Is that one of the fringe benifets of being a mason, sharing your wife with other men?
Cheers!
Members of the Orthodox Churches are also prohibited by their discipilnes from joining the Masons.
Old Feb 26, '12, 10:32 am

Religion: Atheist

I feel like my very religious Mason of a grandfather would be horrified at the thought of sharing my (eastern star) grandmother. Likewise, my mom (eastern star) and my many uncles would be just as horrified at the thought.
Old Feb 26, '12, 10:34 am
Banned

From what I've gathered, many masons are simply looking for "the Truth." There is a great deal of symbolism involved, but that is true of any religion or pseudo-religion. The lack of understanding of what the symbolism means is probably one of the main reasons all of the conspiracy theories arise.

The wife-swapping is pure nonsense. They're people just like you and me. You're more likely to see ritual sex with various pagan sects.
Old Feb 26, '12, 10:38 am
Banned

Religion: Faithless Catholic / Pascal Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
Members of the Orthodox Churches are also prohibited by their discipilnes from joining the Masons.
One of my good friend's father is an Indian Orthodox; he is a Mason though also .
My friends family also includes a high ranking bishop in India. I've asked him if that contradicts the Indian Orthodox rite. He told me no. I think maybe he is wrong though.
Cheers!
Old Feb 26, '12, 10:46 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Latin rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessup View Post
One of my good friend's father is an Indian Orthodox; he is a Mason though also .
My friends family also includes a high ranking bishop in India. I've asked him if that contradicts the Indian Orthodox rite. He told me no. I think maybe he is wrong though.
Cheers!
The Russian Orthodox Church (to take an example) has repeatedly spoken against Freemasonry. ROCOR condemned unreservedly in the 1920's and then many times afterwards as has the Orthodox Church in Russia itself and numerous other Orthodox Churches.
Old Feb 26, '12, 11:02 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanczyk View Post
The Mason are no different from the Elks or the Knights of Columbus. There is a lot of conspiracy theory garbage about them, but it is just so much nonsense. They do a lot of great things like the Shriners hospitals. They are, of course, basically a pagan religion, which is why Catholics can't join them. They have their own deity called the Grand Architect, and they have magical rituals and so on. Whether or not the members of Freemasonry actually believe in it is another matter, but the rituals and dogma of Freemasonry are prima facie incompatible with Catholicism. But as a wise poster above pointed out, the same is true of Methodists, but we haven't got anything against them, right? Even though the Masons are a pagan religion, they deserve as much respect as any other non-Catholic charitable organization. Indulging in conspiracy theories helps no one.
[code]
Quote:
[

Masonry is not compatible with catholciity-christianity:

REFLECTIONS A YEAR AFTER DECLARATION
OF CONGREGATION FOR THE DOCTRINE OF THE FAITH

Irreconcilability between Christian faith and Freemasonry

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/co...ticolo_en.html
Old Feb 26, '12, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshana View Post
[code][

Masonry is not compatible with catholciity-christianity:
That's what I said.
Old Feb 26, '12, 1:44 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
That's what I said.
Forgive me. Must have mixed you up with someone else.

What is wrong with the Methodists?
Old Feb 26, '12, 1:53 pm

Quote:
Forgive me. Must have mixed you up with someone else.

What is wrong with the Methodists?
No problem, I am glad it was just a simple misunderstanding. I regret that I was unable to make my point more clearly.

There is nothing wrong with the Methodists, except for the fact that a Catholic can't be a Methodist. Catholicism is incompatible with Methodism, just like it's incompatible with Hinduism, etc. Likewise a Catholic can't be a Freemason.

My point is that a Catholic can no more be a Freemason than a Methodist or a Hindu. But even though Freemasonry is incompatible with Catholicism, one should still be respectful of Freemasonry, just as one should be respectful of Methodists or Hindus.
Old Feb 26, '12, 6:46 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
No problem, I am glad it was just a simple misunderstanding. I regret that I was unable to make my point more clearly.

There is nothing wrong with the Methodists, except for the fact that a Catholic can't be a Methodist. Catholicism is incompatible with Methodism, just like it's incompatible with Hinduism, etc. Likewise a Catholic can't be a Freemason.

My point is that a Catholic can no more be a Freemason than a Methodist or a Hindu. But even though Freemasonry is incompatible with Catholicism, one should still be respectful of Freemasonry, just as one should be respectful of Methodists or Hindus.
But what happens if masonry is anti-christian?
Old Feb 26, '12, 7:15 pm

Quote:
But what happens if masonry is anti-christian?
I would have to ask what you mean by "anti-Christian." From my experience, the vast majority of Masons are Protestants, and Masons in general seem to take the magical rituals and symbols with a grain of salt. Of course, it is a secret organization, so you can't really know what goes on if you aren't a member, but we also shouldn't give credence to any conspiracy theories.

If by anti-Christian you mean that they are out to get Christians or seeking to undermine Christianity in some way, I don't think there is basis for this concern.

But if by anti-Christian you meant that they espouse beliefs that are incompatible with Christianity, I completely agree with. Freemasonry is a deistic religion. But a lot of Protestants, apparently, disagree with the Catholic analysis, as Protestants are wont to do. And we must respect this.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions