Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 27, '12, 2:56 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Can a non-catholic be buried in the catholic church

Out of interest, I know of someone who is not a Catholic, but is a baptised Christian. She has had a strong afinity with the Catholic church and has so for the last 50 years - but never took the step of converting to the faith.

She has no real family and I know that she would like to her funeral to take place witin the local Catholic church - I have my doubts as to whether this is possible, but thought that I would ask.
Old Feb 27, '12, 3:45 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Can a non-catholic be buried in the catholic church

The bishop can give permissionl

Canon 1183 3. In the prudent judgment of the local ordinary, ecclesiastical funerals can be granted to baptized persons who are enrolled in a non-Catholic Church or ecclesial community unless their intention is evidently to the contrary and provided that their own minister is not available.

And, yes, a non-Catholic can be buried in a Catholic cemetery as well.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 27, '12, 3:53 pm

A very good friend of mine and former Marine buddy, was a United Church of God pastor in Montana. Their church was one block from the Catholic church and the two pastors were very good friends. When my buddy died a few years ago his funeral was held in his own church but he was buried in the Catholic section of the community cemetery.

I had told him decades ago that one day he would be with the Catholics but I had no idea how true that was to be.

Last edited by corsair; Feb 27, '12 at 3:54 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 27, '12, 4:20 pm

Maybe she would like to become a Catholic. See if she would like to speak to a priest.
Old Feb 29, '12, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
Maybe she would like to become a Catholic. See if she would like to speak to a priest.
Mentioned this several times in the past, but she isn't the youngest and I think that a couple of years of RCIA isn't a likely option at this stage.
Old Feb 29, '12, 5:31 pm

Religion: Catholic: Russian Greek Catholic, & Latin Church catechist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcella 1981 View Post
Mentioned this several times in the past, but she isn't the youngest and I think that a couple of years of RCIA isn't a likely option at this stage.
A validly baptized Christian (redundant statement ) can be received into the Catholic Church after whatever instruction she needs to feel she understands and accepts what the Church teaches and can give her profession of faith, and of course for the pastor to feel she adequately understands and accepts the Church's teachings. The Rite of Reception of Baptized Christians into the full Communion of the Catholic Church can happen at any Sunday or weekday Mass, or in some circumstances not it Mass, but that wouldn't apply when Mass is available. The intention of the US Bishops is that those Christians seeking to come into the Catholic Church not be delayed unnecessarily.

Quote:
The U.S. Conference of Bishops, National Statues for the Catechumenate states: "Those baptized persons who have lived as Christians and need only instruction in the Catholic tradition and a degree of probation within the Catholic community should not be asked to undergo a full program parallel to the catechumenate" (NSC 31).

Their doctrinal and spiritual preparation for reception into full Catholic communion should be determined according to the individual case, that is, it should depend on the extent to which the baptized person has led a Christian life within a community of faith and been appropriately catechized to deepen his or her inner adherence to the Church" (NSC 30).

Last edited by 5Loaves; Feb 29, '12 at 5:49 pm.
Old Mar 8, '12, 6:26 pm

Religion: Eastern Catholic

Father related a great tale a few weeks ago of a WWII GI who died in Europe. The only cemetery to be found was Catholic, and the priest reluctantly informed them that a non-catholic couldn't be buried ther.

They buried him outside the cemetery, on the other side of the fence.

they later went to visit their buddies grave, but couldn't find it. Distressed, they sought out the priest again.

Bothered by the separation, the priest and congregation had moved the fence . . .

AMDG

hawk

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments