Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 29, '12, 12:38 am

Default Is it a sin to go to a strip club?

I posted the question in that manner as an attention grabber, and because my real question would have been too long for the title. Here is my real question.

Last week a few of my co-workers told me that they are going to a strip club this weekend, and invited me to come along too. The two people who invited me are "Catholics", meaning that their family is Catholic and they have a rosary in their car and they wear a necklace with a cross and they give up things for Lent and their facebook page says that they are Catholic, and maybe they go to Church a few times per year. That is as far as their faith goes, but honestly, I don't think they are even aware that there is anything more to being Catholic than doing these things. Also, I should mention that they had invited me to a strip club before, and I had said no, "because it's a sin", and we had left it at that. But they decided to ask me again this time, because they felt that it's time for me to stop taking my religion so seriously and have fun while I am still young. Lastly, I should mention that I was in the break room with about 8-10 uninvolved people also present and half-listening, and that I was very tired, and these last two factors discouraged me from preaching to them.

The conversation went something like this. The two inviters are A1 and A2.
A1: You can't go, because it's a "sin", right?
Me: Yeah.
A1: I think you should go. It will be good for you.
Me: Mhmm.
A1: If you go, I guarantee you'll have the time of your life. You should go.
Me: Mhmm.
A1: They're not completely naked. It's not a sin.
A2: So are you going?
Me: No.
A2: Why not?
Me: Because I'm a Catholic.
A2: What do you think we are? [referencing the fact that *they* are Catholics too, but they are still going.]
[Silence]
A1: I'm just saying, I think you should go. But I don't want to force you.
A2: So why do you think it's a sin?
Me: Some time I'll show you where it says in Church Law that immodesty and impurity are sins.
A2: Tell me now.
Me: It's a sin to look at immodesty or --
A1: No, don't say it! It doesn't have to be a sin. This isn't Church.
Me: --or impurity, even if the girl isn't completely naked.
[A1 gives a frustrated, disappointed look.]
A2: So do you think that most guys are sinners?
Me: I won't say anything about other people.
A2: You know that we're Catholics too, right? We go to these things all the time.
Me: Well, Catholics are supposed to follow the Sixth Commandment.
A2: What's the Sixth Commandment?
Me: You're a Catholic. You're supposed to know the Ten Commandments.
A2: I don't have them memorized.

I didn't say anything else, but left it at this, firstly because I was extremely uncomfortable talking about this in front of all those other people, and secondly because I felt that leaving the conversation hanging like this would bother A2 enough to make her want to look up the Sixth Commandment for herself. ("Her"? What is a girl doing going to a strip club, you might ask? She is a Lesbian.) A while later, A2 asked me again about the Sixth Commandment, showing that it indeed was bothering her, which is not surprising since she is quite proud of being a Catholic. I then sent her a wikipedia article on "Catholic Doctrine on the Ten Commandments", directing her to the Sixth Commandment, where it lists lust, fornication, etc. as all sins. (I chose wikipedia to demonstrate to her that it is standard public knowledge, not some insider set of rules that only some hardcore Catholics follow but others don't have to.)

Now that all this is behind us, what else should I do? If I bring up the topic again, any ideas what I should say?
Old Feb 29, '12, 1:04 am

Religion: Agnostic/Confused/Lapsed/Heretic/Apostate
Default Re: Is it a sin to go to a strip club?

It seems that you handled it well. I might think I am Jamaican, listen to Bob Marley and wear a stripy hat and smoke grass but it doesn't make me any more Jamaican than the pope!
Old Feb 29, '12, 2:28 am

Religion: Agnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
It seems that you handled it well. I might think I am Jamaican, listen to Bob Marley and wear a stripy hat and smoke grass but it doesn't make me any more Jamaican than the pope!
LOL....hilarious

Speaking of friends who call themselves "Catholics", I am not a catholic but I have a friend who calls himself one. In the course of a discussion one time, the question of who wrote the Bible came up. I asked him flat out, who he thought wrote the Bible. He looked at me like I was the world's biggest idiot and said, "Jesus, of course."

I'm not sure what this has to do with going to a strip club (an activity that, as an agnostic, I have no problem with whatsoever) but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Old Feb 29, '12, 3:20 am

Religion: Catholic

Is it a sin? Absolutely. But since that doesn't seem to bother them, if they bring it up again, tell them that, aside from the sinful aspect, you don't want to go because of how disrespectful it is, not just to the women working there, but every female you know. Tell them you couldn't look your mother/sister/girlfriend/wife/etc. in the eye and tell them you went and stared at topless women for fun. Tell them to ask another female coworker if she'd appreciate being asked along (since there's nothing wrong with it) and how she'd feel having a conversation there with guys after they'd been ogling these women, sticking money in their garters and paying for lap dances.

For the record, this isn't just a Catholic thing. I was talking to a non-Catholic friend the other day and telling her about what we went through recently with our son (I have a thread in the parenting forum about how our son wanted to go to a strip club for his birthday). She was disgusted with the idea, brought up most of the same arguments as I had with our son, and was thrilled he chose not to go. So while it's definitely sinful from a Catholic perspective, there's lots of other reasons to avoid those places as well.
Old Feb 29, '12, 3:24 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

You handled it very well. I would just pray for A1 because he seems like he still doesn't want to accept the fact it's a sin. A2 seems like she is open to the fact that it's a sin. Keep praying for her too so that she may recognize that the sin of lust is nothing to be tampered with. Also, pray for them to become more faithful to the Church.

If the topic were to come up again, I would say, "You know my stance on this matter, and you know the Church's stance on this matter. I have nothing more to say."
Old Feb 29, '12, 3:46 am

I think you did well indeed. I'm an older guy who works with a bucnh of single early 30s guys. I get this invite all the time. I tell them the same thing you did.

I was in a store one evening and a guy was hitting on this young lady behind the counter (she wore a crucifix).

Guy: So why dn't we hook up later.

Lady: Because I don't want to go to hell.

Guy leaves

Me: That was a wonderful answer.

Lady: I am a Catholic.

Me: I can tell. God bless you..
Old Feb 29, '12, 6:38 am

Religion: Atheist

Wow, what tasteless coworkers you have. You need to go to HR and report that they are trying to browbeat you in to going to a strip club after you have firmly said no, and they are doing so publicly. I am constantly amazed by what people are willing to bring up at work.

And to the guy who told him to tell them to ask a female coworker, that's a bad idea. She may say yes. Straight women go to those things all the time.
Old Feb 29, '12, 6:40 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRTFAN View Post
I think you did well indeed. I'm an older guy who works with a bucnh of single early 30s guys. I get this invite all the time. I tell them the same thing you did.

I was in a store one evening and a guy was hitting on this young lady behind the counter (she wore a crucifix).

Guy: So why dn't we hook up later.

Lady: Because I don't want to go to hell.

Guy leaves

Me: That was a wonderful answer.

Lady: I am a Catholic.

Me: I can tell. God bless you..

Ha! Sounds like that turned him off quick!
Old Feb 29, '12, 7:13 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

I just want to to let you know that I respect the way you handled it and respect the way that you represent our faith. You definitely did the right thing and I certainly would agree that going to a strip club is sinful. Hang in there and keep being a good role model. You never know what impact your conversation had on your friends and it may make them think twice.

Pax!
Old Feb 29, '12, 7:13 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
Hah, that's pretty good!
Old Feb 29, '12, 8:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedLady View Post
And to the guy who told him to tell them to ask a female coworker, that's a bad idea. She may say yes. Straight women go to those things all the time.
That's true, but that doesn't mean they want to be treated or looked at like the women working there. Every female I've personally talked to about the situation with my son, when I told them to put themselves in that situation and think about what would really be going through the minds of the guys they went to the club with, who spent the whole evening ogling and groping half- or fully-naked women, and who then sat down to talk or have a drink with her, not only agreed that she wouldn't feel entirely comfortable, but called me sick for putting it in those terms.
Old Feb 29, '12, 11:41 am

For next time-
-find the number for a local convent/parish with a nun
-next time they bother you with this ask if they would take a nun to a strip club
-if they say no, ask them why
-if they say yes, give them the number and tell them to ask for Sister [insert her name]
Old Feb 29, '12, 12:13 pm
Registering
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmachine View Post
I asked him flat out, who he thought wrote the Bible. He looked at me like I was the world's biggest idiot and said, "Jesus, of course..
Comedy gold! lol
Old Feb 29, '12, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmachine View Post
LOL....hilarious

Speaking of friends who call themselves "Catholics", I am not a catholic but I have a friend who calls himself one. In the course of a discussion one time, the question of who wrote the Bible came up. I asked him flat out, who he thought wrote the Bible. He looked at me like I was the world's biggest idiot and said, "Jesus, of course."

I'm not sure what this has to do with going to a strip club (an activity that, as an agnostic, I have no problem with whatsoever) but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Please don't let this form your views on all Catholics. Clearly, some people don't put forth any effort to grow their faith. They show up at Mass once a week, call themselves Catholics, and expect to get into Heaven. It's like going to the gym once a week, not moving, and expecting to have a sculpted body.
Luke 12:25
Old Feb 29, '12, 1:49 pm

If someone tells you to "take your religion less seriously", then you need to take that person less seriously.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology