Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 1, '12, 3:05 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Why pray the rosary?

I've been a catholic all my life, and I've never once prayed the rosary. I've always seen praying to anyone but God to be a waste of time. If God is so powerful, why does he need to hear my prayer through someone else? Why does a Saint need to pray for me, when God knows what I want before even I know? Does he give in to peer pressure? That's how it comes off to me as. There has to be more to it.

Now, I understand that the words in the Hail Mary are from scripture, but why/why did that prayer get started? Did some random guy say "Hey, lets pick some passages about Mary from scripture, and make that into a prayer!"

Then my next question is how/why did the Rosary get started? Did another random guy say "Hey, let me make a beaded necklace, and say a bunch of Hail Marys!"

Did God tell any of us to do this? Did Mary Appear to people, and say to do this? (If so, how do we know that it was actually Mary, and that the person wasn't being deceived?) Or was it men who decided on these things?

I've tried searching for information on these topics, but I haven't found any answers.

It may sound like I'm being critical, and I'm sorry. I believe the Catholic church is the one true church, but I have to admit that non-catholics make a really good point about the whole Mary/saint thing. (The "golden bowls of incense" in Revelation 5:8 sound like the Saint's own personal prayers, and not ours. So I don't see that as being good enough evidence that Saints hear our prayers)

I'm sorry again. I'm not trying to argue, so much as to understand. I'm going through a really rough time spiritually at the moment, and I need all the help I can get! I've been praying to God for help in my faith for about a month, but I still feel like I'm in darkness. I hear that the Rosary helps people, and I'm interested. I just don't feel right doing so without knowing why. (I would also ask the same thing about scapulars.)
Old Mar 1, '12, 3:25 pm

Default Re: Why pray the rosary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan77 View Post
I've been a catholic all my life, and I've never once prayed the rosary. I've always seen praying to anyone but God to be a waste of time. If God is so powerful, why does he need to hear my prayer through someone else? Why does a Saint need to pray for me, when God knows what I want before even I know? Does he give in to peer pressure? That's how it comes off to me as. There has to be more to it.
You raise the question, "Why pray?" God knows what we're going to say before we say it. What is the point, then?

Quote:
Now, I understand that the words in the Hail Mary are from scripture, but why/why did that prayer get started? Did some random guy say "Hey, lets pick some passages about Mary from scripture, and make that into a prayer!"

Then my next question is how/why did the Rosary get started? Did another random guy say "Hey, let me make a beaded necklace, and say a bunch of Hail Marys!"
This was through a private revelation. There's much about this. I also suggest you read the tracts available on this website.

Quote:
Did God tell any of us to do this? Did Mary Appear to people, and say to do this? (If so, how do we know that it was actually Mary, and that the person wasn't being deceived?) Or was it men who decided on these things?

I've tried searching for information on these topics, but I haven't found any answers.
I think it's easy to find the way the rosary started.

Quote:
It may sound like I'm being critical, and I'm sorry. I believe the Catholic church is the one true church, but I have to admit that non-catholics make a really good point about the whole Mary/saint thing. (The "golden bowls of incense" in Revelation 5:8 sound like the Saint's own personal prayers, and not ours. So I don't see that as being good enough evidence that Saints hear our prayers)

I'm sorry again. I'm not trying to argue, so much as to understand. I'm going through a really rough time spiritually at the moment, and I need all the help I can get! I've been praying to God for help in my faith for about a month, but I still feel like I'm in darkness. I hear that the Rosary helps people, and I'm interested. I just don't feel right doing so without knowing why. (I would also ask the same thing about scapulars.)
The idea is that Mary wants to lead us to Christ. To Jesus, through Mary. If your experience in praying the rosary is anything like mine, you will be closer to Jesus.

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/the-rosary

Have you read the above tract? It does answer at least some of your questions.
Old Mar 1, '12, 3:43 pm

They're many reasons to pray the Rosary but in response to your 'why Mary' question.

One possible reason that traditionally it's the Mothers of households that are the 'tip of the spear' on maintaining the faith within the family. They see many positive results for their children that mature to love and fear God.

The great thinkers in the Church, inspired by the Holy Spirit concluded that the Blessed Mother was a worthwhile intercessor for us to direct prayers to, after all...

...what son would refuse to listen to his Mothers petitions?
Old Mar 1, '12, 3:53 pm
Prayer Warrior

For these reasons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksaSqloTa0

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=9012103

The Rosary
El Rosario

Old Mar 1, '12, 3:55 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

Also, watch the "origin" of the Holy Rosary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vba2NLbaOo4

The Rosary
El Rosario

Old Mar 1, '12, 4:14 pm
Banned

You don't wanna get me started here......
Old Mar 1, '12, 5:27 pm

+JMJ+
Quote:

The most efficacious prayer is always, ALWAYS, the prayer that God wants you to pray. If the Lord's inspirations to you do not include the Rosary or any other Marian devotions, then that's fine and good.

HOWEVER, there is a caveat. Most of the time, I find that those who question Marian devotions or devotions to saints of any kind are actually resisting God's inspirations to practice them and thus they find all sorts of excuses not to, for example questioning the legitimacy of Marian and other devotions.

You are mine, because I am Yours.

Old Mar 1, '12, 5:40 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

Quote:

Are you aware of the mysteries of the rosary, they are good to use daily even if you don't pray the rosary, they are the most important part. Just google mysteries of the rosary, different meditations for different days of the week. A Baptist pastor just uses the mediations part of it without praying the rosary. Some people feel praying the rosary brings them closer to Jesus. Some people don't pray the rosary or to Saints so its different for everyone. I mean try it and see how you do.
Old Mar 1, '12, 5:45 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddadonkey View Post
+JMJ+

The most efficacious prayer is always, ALWAYS, the prayer that God wants you to pray. If the Lord's inspirations to you do not include the Rosary or any other Marian devotions, then that's fine and good.

HOWEVER, there is a caveat. Most of the time, I find that those who question Marian devotions or devotions to saints of any kind are actually resisting God's inspirations to practice them and thus they find all sorts of excuses not to, for example questioning the legitimacy of Marian and other devotions.
I have decided the same is true. Then it grows from there. To the point where I come under attack. That's fine thou. I continue to pray the Rosary while wearing a Brown Scapular. Jesus said be ready at all times. KEEP THE FAITH! Because the judgment will come like a thief in the night.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen.
Old Mar 1, '12, 8:51 pm

Religion: catholic

Brian77, this is where you are at right now,
"I'm going through a really rough time spiritually at the moment, and I need all the help I can get! I've been praying to God for help in my faith for about a month, but I still feel like I'm in darkness."

Here is something that can really help Brian.

Here is some important info about the Miraculous Medal, one of Mother Teresa's
favorites.

"Have a medal struck... All who wear it will receive GREAT graces; they should wear it around the neck. GRACES will ABOUND for persons who wear it with CONFIDENCE."
From the mother of Jesus spoken to sister Catherine Laboure 1830.

Later Mary said, “... it must be given to the whole world and to every person.”

"Great graces are often attached to what seems trifling." St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

"The devotions we practice in honor of the glorious Virgin Mary, however trifling they be, are very pleasing to her divine Son, ...." St. Teresa of Jesus

During this apparition, Mary's hands had 3 rings on each finger. Each ring gave off
rays of colored light. A few rings did not. Mary said that the lights radiating from
the rings are graces that people ASK for. The rings that didn't radiate she said
were graces not given because they were NOT asked for.

Have it blessed. The devil hates blessed objects. Keep it on all all times.
Wear her medal in her honor because the devil can't stand her either.

Then say, "Mary I am asking now for great graces which
you promised to those who ask and believe in what you said."
Trust her, it works. She is the mother of God. Would she lie?
Your mother wants to help you. It is her wish for you. She promised and she will diliver.

"Great graces are often attached to what seems trifling." St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

http://www.legionofmary.org/MiracMedal.html

======================================== =====
"Yes, blessed is she who BELIEVED that the PROMISE made her by the Lord would be FULFILLED."
(Lk. 1;45) St. Elizabeth extolling Mary for her complete trust in God's promise.
Old Mar 2, '12, 6:51 am

Brian, in reference to Mary hearing, helping, knowing us, here are a couple of stories that are documented here on CAF.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=545162

What is the point of the Marian apparations?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I grew up in a family that didn't go to church or know God. I often heard family members say that if God were real, why doesn't he do stuff like parting of the sea in the 10 Commandments? Where did He go after that? It's all stories, make belief. (My only catechism was Christmas carols at Christmas time. How I wish they would be played now instead of Santa Claus and Rudolf!)

One day a Catholic loaned me his book on Fatima. The miracle of the sun, told by the children before the event, was as good as the Red Sea parting long ago. Better even. It changed my life. I saw in that book that God did and does exist, He exists today, and He wants me to be close to him. What Good News!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has Mary ever appeared to YOU???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not had any personal experiences of Our Lady appearing but I would like to share with you a story about my Grandfather.
My Grandfather served in the First World War and he was a RSM regimantal sergeant major.He was given orders one day to take the men from the trenches in a certain direction.Now that day as he was about to follow orders and go in 'that direction' Our Lady appeared to him (and others were witnesses) she did not speak but stood with her arm pointing in the other direction to which my Grandfather's orders were.Grandad took the men in the direction Our Lady pointed.Later that day it was confirmed that if they had gone in the direction they were ordered to go they would have all been killed. I would not be here among other things!
My Grandad was awarded many medals during the war one for bravery.He never got into trouble for disobeying orders.It was documented in the catholic church.I never knew this story until my Grandfather's funeral.Our Priest Fr Collins produced the article as documented in the bulletin when my Grandfather died in 1968.

http://forum.catholic.org/viewtopic....b51adf45b7b9e7
WHY WE NEED MARY'S APPARITIONS AFTER PUBLIC REVELATION

What is, our common response to people, who like our former Holy Father John Paul II, placed great importance on the Motherly message brought to humanity through a private revelations in Fátima? “Sorry, Mother, but in Public Revelation we already have all that we need to know in order to reach our heavenly destiny. Your intervention is not necessary for I am not required to believe in Private revelations.”

It was Our Lord Himself who in his own public revelation told us: “What I am doing you do not know now, but afterward you will understand." “I have yet many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.”
If everything that was needed to know had been said and understood in the times of Our Lord, why did the Church need the additional sending of the Holy Spirit? And can not the Holy Spirit will to choose His beloved spouse, the Blessed Virgin Mary as the instrument for His Divine message?

Concerning Private revelations, we are called to be cautious, naturally, but it is one thing to be ‘cautious’ and another one to be ‘closed.’ Even the Apostles scoffed the women when they reported the vision of the Risen Lord. What would have happened if the “first members of the Church” had not felt the call to investigate? ...

In rejecting the role played the 'miraculous' in Catholic piety, skeptics have often been led to scoff at the miraculous and supernatural works and experiences attributed to the saints. Is not the worldwide Salesian movement the result of St John Bosco’s response to a private revelation? Are not the Franciscans and the Poor Claires around the world, the eventual fruit of the private revelation from God through the Icon Cross of San Damiano? ....

Yes, Public Revelation is completed, and in it, we have all the “essentials needed” for salvation, but did the evil attacks of the ‘Ancient serpent’ also end with the death of the last Apostle? Do we not still need the protection of our Heavenly Family in our sophisticated modern times? Through private revelation, God is merely clarifying and enhancing his public revelation making it richer and more perfect while at the same time reminding us that the dangerous tempter is still at large.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian, please wear the Miraculous Medal and say this prayer every day.

An Act of Consecration to Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal.

O Virgin Mother of God, Mary Immaculate, I dedicate and consecrate myself to you under
the title of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal. May this Medal be for me a sure sign of your affection for me and a constant reminder of my spirital duties. Ever while wearing it, may I always trust in your promise and be faithful to the grace of your Son. O most powerful Virgin, Mother of my Savior, keep me close to your Son every moment of my life. Obtain for me, your child, the grace of a happy death; so that, I may be one with Jesus in this life and in the next forever. Amen.

O Mary, conceived without sin. Pray for us who have recourse to thee. (3 times)
Old Mar 2, '12, 2:26 pm

Thanks for the information guys. Yes I have read the tract http://www.catholic.com/tracts/the-rosary But it doesn't say the origins of the Hail Mary. Its also vague on the origins of the Rosary. So some random guy made a beaded necklace to say "Our Fathers" (why?) Then for some reason, people decided to say "Hail Marys" instead? Why the change? Also, I'm still not convinced about the "golden bowls of incense" and even some of the passages in psalms that supposedly support praying to angels, seem vague.

Also, and I hope God will forgive me for saying this, but how do we know that Marian apparitions are really her? They say Satan can appear as an angel of light. The most diabolical scheme would be for him to appear as the Mother of God, and deceive the nations into praying to someone other than God, and then "prove" his legitimacy, by faking miracles to get people to believe his lies. My biggest fear is to be deceived. I have this fear that if I were to start praying to Mary, and saints, that when I die, it will turn out that we had it all wrong, and we will be punished for not praying to God directly. I've always even feared the idea of Jesus appearing to me. Because how do I know that its really him? Satan appearing and lying to me scares me. How do we know he didn't do that to other people to trick them into praying to Mary?

People keep saying that praying the Rosary brings them closer to Jesus, but that doesn't make any sense. If I want to get closer to Jesus why not pray directly to Jesus? If I wanted to get closer to a girl I like, I'll talk to her, not her dad. And I still don't know why praying to God alone isn't enough. Why will he only listen to our prayers if Mary or saints ask?

I'm sorry for having such high shields up about this. I'm honestly trying to understand, I just have a hard time getting over the fear of deception. The last thing I want to do is to offend God by doing something because I was deceived. I would rather play it safe, and just pray to God. So what I'm trying to do is get a better understanding, so maybe I'll see that maybe we aren't being deceived. I just don't know how to know!

Last edited by Bryan77; Mar 2, '12 at 2:43 pm.
Old Mar 2, '12, 6:38 pm

I read once that the Rosary (that is the Dominican Rosary) became popular because the Dominicans use them to combat the Albigensian heresy.

Albigensian heresy is dualism in core. It sees matter as evil, thus sees incarnation as impossible or traits of the 'bad god' instead of the 'good god' who is purely spirit never contaminated by flesh. Albigensianism disfavor women as the cause of evil.

The Hail Mary, at that time was in the form of antiphon "Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with you/Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb," perfectly combat these Albigensian conviction.

First, it underlines the incarnation. It is all about incarnation. God became man inside the womb of the virgin.
Second, it shows God favor to a woman, where from her yes to God, the incarnation occurred.

The laity like the Rosary, and it effectively address the Albigensian heresy.
Old Mar 2, '12, 6:50 pm

Quote:
People keep saying that praying the Rosary brings them closer to Jesus, but that doesn't make any sense. If I want to get closer to Jesus why not pray directly to Jesus? If I wanted to get closer to a girl I like, I'll talk to her, not her dad. And I still don't know why praying to God alone isn't enough. Why will he only listen to our prayers if Mary or saints ask?
Well.. one is because "the prayer of just person is avail much," said St. James.
Then again we have faith in the communion of saints to build the whole church.
That is why people flocked to the apostles, to the disciples to pray for them. The New Testament gave testimony of sick peoples cried to God for help and healing, and God answered them trough prayers of the apostles, of disciples.
It is not God favor someone and disfavor others. It is not God dislike me if I pray to him alone. But God want to include the whole body of Christ in his plan of salvation.

That is why, if I have a need or if I want to give thanks to God, I too will include others. I ask my friends, my pastor, my family to pray along with me. Including my heavenly family. We are asked to become advocate to the same members of Christ, and to the world.

In the story of Tobit, it was the Angel Raphael that present Sarah and Tobit's prayer to God. In the book of revelation, the 24 elders present to God the prayers of the saints in the form of incense in golden bowls.

It is just so natural for us to pray for one another and ask others to pray for us and join our prayer.
Old Mar 2, '12, 8:38 pm

Here is a site that may help to understand the role of saints.
http://www.davidmacd.com/catholic/saints.htm

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality